FourSevens        
Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253545556575861 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1906

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    That's due to 14 days being the very high end of incubation time, not recovery time. If they showed symptoms then you proceed from there. Page 2 below...

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...%20contagious.

I think people would be more accepting if you would post link(s) to legit studies. Otherwise everything's anecdotal.

Unfortunately, Humanity in general suffers from a condition known as "Denial." I have posted links in the past to prove my point on various forums I belong to, regarding various topics. Both on CPF, and others. People often wish to believe what they want to believe. Won't let something like the truth get in their way. Even when links are provided. I stay open-minded but folks sometimes don't. That's just the way it is. Individuals who honestly wish to educate themselves can do so. Those resources are available.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    My young intern and I were discussing (among other things) the corona virus and how it is like a fog slowly crossing a large lake. We were talking about how to reopen schools mainly as he is working a summer job in between his classes at college.
    It was like this. There are 350 million people in America who have never had the virus so there is apparently no immunity to the virus. So far about 2.5 million people have had it. That leaves the potential for around 347 million people left to go."
    If it turns out that only 25% of the population is ever exposed that still leaves around 82 million people left to get it. That is just in America.

Trouble is all of the focus seems to be the number of people dieing from it. Sure a bunch have, but if things stay the same where about 9.8 out of 10 people are fine after having it so about 80 million will be just fine. So 2 million may perish sure, yet according to the cdc in 2017 2.8 million Americans did not live to see 2018. That is just under 732 (731.9) per 100,000 people.

Corona is scarey yes, but so is a car wreck, a heart attack, a botched surgery, or the many other ways our number could be picked for the big lottery in the sky. So wash your hands, don't touch your face and stay 6' apart. If you cannot stay 6' apart wear a mask. Please.

The main issue with numbers is that they're just numbers. They de-personalize the fact that each individual is a human life cut short. A mother, a father, a spouse.... a child. With a car accident or a botched surgery, those are possibilities we don't like to think about. But we know they could happen. And if they do, at the very least grieving families can properly bury their dead. Honor and mourn for them, properly. Doing so helps to heal them to some degree. Or, to bring closure as some would say.

With the coronavirus, that's all gone. Extreme pragmatism is required. While not a problem for some, for most folks it's a huge issue. (For example: All the times I went to a Graduation ceremony as a student, they meant nothing to me. Work hard, get excellent grades, graduate. Here's a ceremony to honor your scholastic achievement. Okay.... Let me go through the motions with this black robe and funny hat since everyone else is too. Our governor plans on letting the class of 2020 have normal graduation ceremonies this year. Great! More new cases of infected on the way.)

A couple of months back, there was a local news story about a woman who found out that a relative who died of Covid-19; his body was sitting for weeks in the back of a refrigerated van. She was understandably upset and outraged. Nothing came of the story. Under normal circumstances, it would have been a huge scandal. Under the current ones, it's part of the New Normal for processing bodies. In a state hit with more deaths from the virus than literally most single entire nations have been, funeral homes are horribly overwhelmed! Workers horribly overworked. And unfortunately it's easy to forget each body inside of an overloaded van is a human-being with loved ones who have to wait.

When their turn comes, they can't even mourn properly. Can't give their deceased loved one a proper burial. In many cases, can't even look at them one last time. Some funeral homes are trying to accommodate family members. Services with thick, clear plastic partitions. Masks required. Only five family members in the viewing room at one time, spaced apart as much as possible.

It's horrendous, it's horrific. Far different than the usual things out there that can claim the life of a loved one. All I'm saying is, let's keep in mind that there are individual human-beings behind those impersonal numbers. It's important to not forget that.... Just as important as it is to continue to remain extremely pragmatic for the foreseeable future.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Starting tomorrow, June 26, Washington State will have a mandatory mask requirement.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

They were discussing mandatory masking here too due to a spike in infections. My issue with all of this is I think those in charge will enjoy the lower numbers more than the inconvenience of masks. When I was out and about unmasked I talked to over a dozen people without masks and several of them said that masks would cause them medical problems with breathing. Most of those who are getting infected lately are lower risk which IMO is probably going to help with herd immunity should a vaccine not become available till almost 2022.
    I think some cosmetic companies may need to consider asking for financial help because women wearing masks don't need much in the way of makeup and guys forced to wear masks don't have to shave either.
    I think those mandatory mask zones (cities/states) won't want to roll back masks to voluntary use and probably if the rise continues we could even see a limited martial law people forced to stay inside back to "essential" workers again.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I have a customer that received an unexpected delivery recently from the hanes underwear company. 6 pallets of masks, 132,000 in total. 45 boxes each pallet, 500 per box. free of charge.

they have no idea what to do with them... only have 8 people in the office.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

I have a customer that received an unexpected delivery recently from the hanes underwear company. 6 pallets of masks, 132,000 in total. 45 boxes each pallet, 500 per box. free of charge.

its simple hand them out to the homeless goto the er and donate them
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

If they're rated PPE from a reputable manufacturer, I imagine that ER's, fire departments, police departments, doctor's offices would gladly accept them.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    If they're rated PPE from a reputable manufacturer, I imagine that ER's, fire departments, police departments, doctor's offices would gladly accept them.
    They're made by Hanes... get the 'picture'?

So they're more ... casual ... masks. Dunno then.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

They should be called "undermasks".
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    So they're more ... casual ... masks. Dunno then.
    They are tight, white, and keep things from getting out. (germs that is)

They are tight, white, and keep things from getting out. (germs that is)
    Do they look like this?

My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post

This ^^^^
    John 3:16

....... You guys ......... think I'll go have a mow.

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

mow mow mow your lawn quickly till it's done
    merrily fairly barely till you fall down in the sun

LOL... in the Pacific NW you need artificial rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    mow mow mow your lawn quickly till it's done
    merrily fairly barely till you fall down in the sun
    HA! I went ridin tonight. Had one beer after work ... to kill any COVID I might have contacted, then chose the Deere due to it being too hot to walk behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    LOL... in the Pacific NW you need artificial rain?
    We get one week of Summer then it rains the rest of the year ..... don't even think of moving here. It's always raining. That's actually our COVID moisture shield. The water drops catch the germs and contain them till reaching the lawn. ..... The beautiful, green, lush, lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    HA! I went ridin tonight. Had one beer after work ... to kill any COVID I might have contacted, then chose the Deere due to it being too hot to walk behind.
    I mow in the morning myself before it starts getting too hot

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    Hospitals in my neck of the woods are only interested in N95s or Surgical masks for donations. Thankfully the latter are rather plentiful. A lot of homeless shelters are unfortunately shut down. But many are part of larger charities that still hand out food and toiletries to the homeless. No reason masks couldn't be handed out as well.

Starting a new run of mask giveaway on my main YouTube channel for my subscribers and viewers. Found a fantastic company. Made in the USA. Washable/Reusable, hand-sewn with included filter material. Great masks. Ironically, seems most are unaware of it though. So they had a sale recently. Got to take care of those subs. and viewers. Even got me an E-Stalker who stops by to tell me how terrible my videos are. That's when you know you're doing something right on YouTube.

If I don't give all of the masks away, I'm going to phone up a few more charities. Ones that have homeless shelters attached to them. They'll be happy to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    We get one week of Summer then it rains the rest of the year ..... don't even think of moving here. It's always raining. That's actually our COVID moisture shield. The water drops catch the germs and contain them till reaching the lawn. ..... The beautiful, green, lush, lawn.
    Yes CG, it is a beautiful lawn, and something to take pride in.

So to all you folks now required to wear masks, is it just in stores or buildings or is it outdoors as well?

I imagine if a construction worker in summer heat wearing that plastic bag of a safety vest, a plastic hard hat and a now a mask…… many would be saying please corona, just kill me because it's got to be better than this……

The project I'm on three flaggers stand in the sweltering heat on brand new 135 degree asphalt all day with a hi vis nylon short sleeve jacket and hi vis nylon pants and a plastic helmet for 10 hours a day (w/15 minute break every 2 hours). Needless to say all are thin as a twig. If they had to cover their face all day we'd probably have a mass exodus and frankly I would not blame them.
    John 3:16

this whole post makes me understand what a jerk i am . im a jerk for the replys i almost make. i need to be a better person and more understanding
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

bykfixer,
    I don't know if the 6 foot rule is an arbitrary one or not. Maybe if it was increased to 10 feet, then they could drop the mask requirement, especially out-doors.

Unfortunately there are many people who don't know what 6 feet looks like.

So to all you folks now required to wear masks, is it just in stores or buildings or is it outdoors as well?
    Past mandates in the DFW area for the public have tended to be premised upon entering a place of business, thus limited to indoors. I see some people wearing masks when walking along roads and on bike/pedestrian trails but haven't heard of any official badgering of those that don't.

We shall see what the new mandates rolling down the pike bring - I suspect more of the same.

Flashaholic*

I imagine if a construction worker in summer heat wearing that plastic bag of a safety vest, a plastic hard hat and a now a mask…… many would be saying please corona, just kill me because it's got to be better than this……

The project I'm on three flaggers stand in the sweltering heat on brand new 135 degree asphalt all day with a hi vis nylon short sleeve jacket and hi vis nylon pants and a plastic helmet for 10 hours a day (w/15 minute break every 2 hours). Needless to say all are thin as a twig. If they had to cover their face all day we'd probably have a mass exodus and frankly I would not blame them.

I live in California & as far as I'm aware the mask requirement is FAR less onerous that your above proposed scenario. See the official website guidelines:

https://covid19.ca.gov/masks-and-ppe/#top

Road flaggers at least in my state are WAY WAY further apart than 6" so therefore would be exempt from a mask requirement.

Frankly IMO your hypothetical scenario is lacking any substantive truth & smells like FUD mongering.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Flashaholic*

Default Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    I live in California & as far as I'm aware the mask requirement is FAR less onerous that your above proposed scenario. See the official website guidelines:

https://covid19.ca.gov/masks-and-ppe/#top

Road flaggers at least in my state are WAY WAY further apart than 6" so therefore would be exempt from a mask requirement.

Frankly IMO your hypothetical scenario is lacking any substantive truth & smells like FUD mongering.
    What are you talking about? Has nothing to do with the post above and the “rule” is 6’ not 6”. Being in the 90 degree heat with hot asphalt being poured around you would have to be miserable.
    Last edited by bigburly912; 06-26-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    Eh ... in prior posts bykfixer has indicated that the mandates in his state have indeed been a tad onerous for construction workers, working outdoors where the risks of transmission are markedly lower than indoors with recirculating HVAC.

A quick search turns up this, however that's a bit more recent.

I think the issue is..... what does "mandatory" mask use really entail? I think in some places if social distancing is not possible a mask is required but other places masks are required where there are any people at all. In our city the mayor is now hinting if the "numbers" don't go the way the health department head likes we could have mandatory masking here. For now we don't but more and more businesses are now requiring masks AND distancing (if possible) on their premises, no mask no entrance and some now are even on top of this taking your temperature and even if you don't have a fever you still have to mask and distance. I've worked on jobs where they take your temperature but don't require masking and distancing at all and am glad as it is often hotter and more humid such that a mask could cause a lot of stress on a person especially if they aren't a younger adult used to it. As someone now older I find masks wear me out wearing them for extended amount of times especially in the heat because unless you have a mask with a vent valve they hamper your air flow and also trap CO2 in the mask making you breathe more and harder to get what oxygen you need and also trapping heat plus increased humidity in the air you breathe on top of it all. Dogs cool themselves with their tongues and breathing a mask in hot weather could possibly kill a dog as they don't rely much on sweating to keep cool like we do.
    I think the one thing that concerns me is when they do go to mandatory masking, and it does drive down the numbers (for several reasons) that the officials will have their egos stroked... look at me I saved the day by demanding masks. The same people to keep "looking good" will not go back to voluntary mask use till the virus is no longer any threat at all which means months, even years of mandatory masking.
    When Covid 19 ends and Covids 20-25 come along if they overlap we could live the rest of our lives in some places with masks on.
    I'm pretty much hoping this insane thinking doesn't come to pass but watching how certain states and officials have handled this virus thing I am beginning to think there is an actual possibility of it happening to some extent.

Effective June 26, a (Washington) statewide order requires individuals to wear a face covering in indoor public spaces such as stores, offices and restaurants. The order also requires face coverings outdoors when you can't stay 6 feet apart from others.
    There are exemptions, including people with certain disabilities or health conditions, people who are deaf or hard of hearing, and children under the age of 2. (It's encouraged to have children ages 3-5 wear a covering if possible. Children 5 and older must wear a face covering.) There are also situations when you can remove your face covering, such as when seated at a restaurant or when recreating alone.
    You do not need to wear a cloth face covering in your home when you are only with people in your household, or when you are alone in your car. You do not need to wear one when you are outdoors and people are far apart. Additional Q&A is available from the state Department of Health.

Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253545556575861 ... LastLast