Prometheus        
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1070

Thread: Coronavirus - II

  1. #151
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,134

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Virginia has been doing that. Thereís a guy in my neighborhood that got caught with over 100000 in stolen goods and damaged. Yes, really, that they will not arrest yet because of the pandemic.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  2. #152
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    If it's flattened out and headed down you are good (but I'd wait to get that haircut anyway).
    It's not flattened out or headed down in any state, and now everything is reopening.

  3. #153

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    If you live in my state, this could be coming to your neighborhood too

    "In early April, the California Judicial Council established a new policy setting bail at zero for most misdemeanor and low-level felonies to keep the jail population lower during the coronavirus crisis."

    https://abc7news.com/california-zero...ce-ca/6144239/
    I think we need to consider harsher punishments as a deterrent to crime other than jail time. With all of these lockdowns in place, these violent offenders that suffer no consequences are going to get a lot more people killed than the virus. Within this last week, there was an arsonist who burned down some buildings in Mira Mesa, CA. A judge recently ordered some violent offenders released in CA against the wishes of the police. We can't stay safe in our homes with these criminals on the loose and no justice for the people. That's anarchy.

  4. #154
    Flashaholic* SCEMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Crimeafornia
    Posts
    1,326

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    A judge recently ordered some violent offenders released in CA against the wishes of the police. We can't stay safe in our homes with these criminals on the loose and no justice for the people. That's anarchy.
    But in Crimeafornia, violent crime is a negotiable term when prison/jail space is non-existent.
    https://www.foxla.com/news/sex-offen...-parole-center

  5. #155
    Flashaholic mightysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palookaville, USA
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    I think we need to consider harsher punishments as a deterrent to crime other than jail time. With all of these lockdowns in place, these violent offenders that suffer no consequences are going to get a lot more people killed than the virus. Within this last week, there was an arsonist who burned down some buildings in Mira Mesa, CA. A judge recently ordered some violent offenders released in CA against the wishes of the police. We can't stay safe in our homes with these criminals on the loose and no justice for the people. That's anarchy.
    In the USA, we donít allow the police to decide issues relating to the scope of our constitutional rights and how the criminal justice system will best safeguard the citizens as a group during a pandemic, while carrying out the goals of the criminal justice system.

    It isnít clear what violent offenders youíre referring to. In general, people are not in prison long, if at all, for committing misdemeanors and low level felonies. These are not the violent criminals we need to be worried about making us unsafe in our homes. Moreover, they arenít going to kill anywhere near as many people as are killed by the virus.
    Last edited by mightysparrow; 05-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

  6. #156

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    In my state the numbers are trending in a favorable direction. Testing of symptomatic people at first (at the tail end of flu season) was about 30 tests for each covid case. We were rising in positives at about 3 days to double the number.

    As they increased testing numbers and the flu virus cases dwindled it was as bad as 6 tests for each covid case. At that point cases doubled about every two to three days.
    We have test centers galore now. The numbers of tested has increased tremendously now and we are back to about 10 tested folks per case. It now takes several days for positives to double. With the huge increased number of tests case numbers are still climbing but the trend is heading in the right direction.

    Instead of a giant upside down V our curve has a nice long shallow pitch and is nearly flat despite all the testing. It's still moving up hill though so it aint time to get all cozy'd up with strangers in a movie theatre or buffet joint. But it is looking like safely having a nice steak on an outside patio or going to a golf ball driving range aint far off.

    Our local communities are lobbying the governor with novel ideas on how to allow some outdoor activities to re-open (as many were closed for winter anyway) while allowing certain safety procedures to be incorparated. The governor is rumored to be listening intently at the communities. Our state has a balanced budget requirement on June 30 and with revenues way down he only has a short time to balance things out.
    John 3:16

  7. #157

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    In the USA, we donít allow the police to decide issues relating to the scope of our constitutional rights and how the criminal justice system will best safeguard the citizens as a group during a pandemic, while carrying out the goals of the criminal justice system.

    It isnít clear what violent offenders youíre referring to. In general, people are not in prison long, if at all, for commuting misdemeanors and low level felonies. These are not the violent criminals we need to be worried about making us unsafe in our homes. Moreover, they arenít going to kill anywhere near as many people as are killed by the virus.
    Here's the article about the violent sex offenders released by court order against the wishes of law enforcement: https://abc7news.com/orange-county-s...e-jail/6138210

    Here's an article about someone suspected of assault, being brought to jail by a park ranger, then escaped and shot to death by police: https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/lo...c-0e93ef5f1121

    Either there is more to the story than that article, or the police are tired of catching and releasing criminals that are trying to hurt people. Be careful out there. It's turning into the wild west.

  8. #158
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    In my state the numbers are trending in a favorable direction.

    With the huge increased number of tests case numbers are still climbing but the trend is heading in the right direction.

    Instead of a giant upside down V our curve has a nice long shallow pitch and is nearly flat despite all the testing. It's still moving up hill though so it aint time to get all cozy'd up with strangers in a movie theatre or buffet joint. But it is looking like safely having a nice steak on an outside patio or going to a golf ball driving range aint far off.
    A nearly flat logarithmic curve is still an accumulation, as revealed by the linear curve (but everyone is still going to go golfing)

  9. #159
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,559

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    We still need to get everyone else tested after the symptomatic ones have been taken care of. My state is planning on doing some serology testing in some communities to get a sense of how many asymptomatics and recovered people there are.

  10. #160
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,134

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    A nearly flat logarithmic curve is still an accumulation, as revealed by the linear curve (but everyone is still going to go golfing)
    Thatís exactly what he just said. ??
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  11. #161
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Thatís exactly what he just said. ??
    He said that having a nearly flat curve is a favorable direction; lifting stay at home orders will not keep that trend.

  12. #162
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Branching out from CNN, there are 14 states with declining cases, in addition to 20 where cases are "mostly the same"...
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html
    Last edited by scout24; 05-02-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  13. #163
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,134

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    He said that having a nearly flat curve is a favorable direction; lifting stay at home orders will not keep that trend.
    You really have to argue with nothing donít you. And yes, I typed that correctly. He said ďwe are still moving uphillĒ so we arenít ready to open up yet. The fact it has slowed down with exponentially more tests IS a positive even if we are still seeing cases. Our governor has said the only smart thing since heís been in office and thatís we wonít open until we have 2 weeks straight of good news.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  14. #164
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Branching out from CNN, there are 14 states with declining cases, in addition to 8+ where cases are "mostly the same"...
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html
    The "CNN" chart from Johns Hopkins shows total cases, not total new cases; it's linear vs logarithmic, and will shift with the lifting of stay at home orders.

  15. #165

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Well CNN said it so it must be trueÖÖ

    I said less people are getting sick as fast as they were.

    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

    Just look at all the platues across the planet.

    Looking at just case numbers will always point up until the day there are zero new numbers. That will be the edge of graph. If you do that the Spanish flu of 1918 are still rising as morphed versions have popped up every few decades. Last one was 94-96.

    Infection rates are what governments like Italy, Spain, America etc are looking at. Just like Dr Fauchi and Byrx said they would be. And in my state infection rates are getting better too.
    John 3:16

  16. #166
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    You really have to argue with nothing donít you.
    A decrease in the acceleration of deaths that is now clearly temporary is not a favorable direction. As with the last thread, I'm pointing out that there will come a time in the near future when these rosy predictions will look premature, and we would be better served preparing for worse conditions than resting on our laurels.

  17. #167
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    It's not flattened out or headed down in any state, and now everything is reopening.
    Your post stated "It's not flattening out or headed down in any state"
    Last edited by scout24; 05-02-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  18. #168
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    A decrease in the acceleration of deaths that is now clearly temporary is not a favorable direction. As with the last thread, I'm pointing out that there will come a time in the near future when these rosy predictions will look premature, and we would be better served preparing for worse conditions than resting on our laurels.
    Please explain how a decrease in acceleration of deaths is not favorable?
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  19. #169

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Some are scared and waiting on their government to allow them to proceed.
    Some are not.
    Some just want this thing over.
    Some do not.
    Some prefer the opposite view point of tradition.
    Some prefer tradition.
    Some wait around to be told what to do.
    Some prefer the opposite.

    Some think corona virus is the worst thing to happen to the human race since the ice age.
    Others prefer to have a more positive view, while proceeding with caution.

    Some prefer to be the Tokyo Rose of CPF.
    8/10 split, was an easy spare.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-02-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    John 3:16

  20. #170
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Your post stated "It's not flattening out or headed down in any state"
    It says "not flattened"; a slight curve on a logarithmic scale is a much larger curve on a liner scale. And this chart shows total number of cases, not new cases - the total number of cases will never go down.

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Please explain how a decrease in acceleration of deaths is not favorable?
    Our rate is still accelerating even after we've surpassed other countries, that is not favorable and points to an exceptional problem.

  21. #171
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,134

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    How is that possible with no testing available?
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  22. #172
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    You're talking in circles trying to defend what you wrote. Your posts says it's not flattening, not "not flattened. Your post, #152 above, says it's not flattening or headed down in any state. That's not true. Our number of cases is increasing, yes. Please show us how it is accelerating. Those words mean different things.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  23. #173
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    You're talking in circles trying to defend what you wrote. Your posts says it's not flattening, not "not flattened. Your post, #152 above, says it's not flattening or headed down in any state. That's not true. Our number of cases is increasing, yes. Please show us how it is accelerating. Those words mean different things.
    You're repeating the same counterpoints because you're not correctly interpreting the graphs. If the number of total cases is increasing, then it's not flattening. If the national new cases is increasing, then it's accelerating, which is especially true if stay at home is lifted. Putting these two data points together means it will not go down, that is not favorable.

  24. #174
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Incorrect. My car's odometer continues to rack up mileage even if I'm slowing down for an exit off the highway... And if 14 states are saying the rate at which it's adding new cases is slowing down for them, then it is. Distance travelled may be increasing but the rate at which you get there is not. You're trying to extrapolate what lifting restrictions is going to do, to try to prove your point. And I'm debating your words, not the graphs you provided.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  25. #175
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Incorrect. My car's odometer continues to rack up mileage even if I'm slowing down for an exit off the highway... And if 14 states are saying the rate at which it's adding new cases is slowing down for them, then it is. Distance travelled may be increasing but the rate at which you get there is not. You're trying to extrapolate what lifting restrictions is going to do, to try to prove your point. And I'm debating your words, not the graphs you provided.
    You are free to debate the meaning of "favorable", I don't think that a mere decrease in acceleration when you're about to hit the car in front of you is the goal.

  26. #176
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,134

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    On a happy note Iím down to 255. 30 to go and Iíll be where I want to be.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  27. #177
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    I'm not debating the meaning of favorable, I'm quite clear on it's meaning. I asked you to clarify your use of it. I provided you links to a story with charts that contradicted what you said, and you've ignored that. I've asked about your use of " still accelerating" while providing a distinction between accumulating and accelerating. You've not addressed either, while throwing different points into the discussion. Don't misunderstand me, I believe this is deadly serious. I just don't understand your tact of distract/avoid/ "I'm done" when challenged. And a decrease in speed, of any amount, can't hurt.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  28. #178
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Bigburly- Commendable in any environment, but especially under lockdown! 👍
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  29. #179
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    On a happy note Iím down to 255. 30 to go and Iíll be where I want to be.
    500 kcals under maintenance = 2 lbs per week, you could be there at the start of August.

  30. #180
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I believe this is deadly serious.

    And a decrease in speed, of any amount, can't hurt.
    Looks like the argument isn't with me, sorry.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •