Imalent        
Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 125255565758596061626364656667686972 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2217

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Schools reopen for normal, full classes in a month. Don't know if that's statewide, but at least locally that's the "plan".
    TX really really really wants to go back to normal in that regard at the state level. Urban and suburban districts are decidedly reluctant since the same factors that forced the awkward remote-learning March-June are still present only moreso.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Silver Moderator

A new way to breathe

I found this very interesting... I guess it is not really new since it has been observed over the last hundred years or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t27E6qAKMto

The idea that less is more and offers more benefits (including protection from viral infection) has me reviewing how I breathe.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

What’s being accepted as three of the biggest risk factors: crowds, extended time indoors, and yelling cannot be avoided in any public school.

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    What’s being accepted as three of the biggest risk factors: crowds, extended time indoors, and yelling cannot be avoided in any public school.
    Agreed more or less. However, if you do distance learning 1) some kids will be completely left behinds due to no internet, no pc, no place to concentrate 2) more kids will not get a full education and 3) the gap between the haves and have not will widen. Kids in k-12 last year and this year will become known as the lost generation.

Currently, the kids will spread the disease but won't usually die from it.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Agreed more or less. However, if you do distance learning 1) some kids will be completely left behinds due to no internet, no pc, no place to concentrate 2) more kids will not get a full education and 3) the gap between the haves and have not will widen. Kids in k-12 last year and this year will become known as the lost generation.

Currently, the kids will spread the disease but won't usually die from it.
    Completely agree, the kids need it. The problem is the adults-they will get sick, and then who’ll educate the desperately needy kids?

Completely agree, the kids need it. The problem is the adults-they will get sick, and then who’ll educate the desperately needy kids?
    We persevere and make do.

This is literally a war, and should be treated as such. It's impossible to have zero losses. But we try to be smart about it. Even if the feds could write a check tomorrow for 5 trillion for an immediate vaccine... that's still a loss. That's 5 trillion that won't go to education, military, infrastructure, etc.

When the schools go back I don't see how the numbers will NOT spike. At that point, if I were a public policy maker, I would refer to contact tracing and age groups to see where it goes after the kids get it. Then you can make educated guesses based on healthcare resources.

I read a lot of books on economics, poverty, sociology, public policy, history, business mgmt, and so on. I find the whole thing fascinating and feel we are simultaneously lucky and unlucky to live during it. This event is going to generate enough data to keep a million economists, sociologists, psychologists, etc busy for the rest of their lives.

I wonder what this will do to the antivaxx movement.

I also note that this has dealt a new hand to the companies that make disposable items from plastic. I don't see too many fabric shopping bags anymore. I also welcome cheap, disposable, and sanitary straws at restaurants.

Typical. Teachers will get the short straw and get forced back to a worksite without even any proper ppe. Moreover, municipalities and states will hope for early retirements or furloughs for refusing to work, thus lowering budgets, and hire scabs or “emergency” teachers fresh out of college with no training, but who are hungry for a job, have no idea what they are doing despite their youthful enthusiasm, and who typically leave within three years. And with any luck, the teacher’s unions will be severely weakened making only the precious first responders of fire and police the last bastion of union labor which has enough irony for another post.

Makes you almost giggle at those in California that banned disposable straws but not banning disposable masks I would bet.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

If you want to add some fiction to your non, Camus’ “The Plague” is remarkable in showing how humans behave in lockdowns, times of scarcity, etc. A fascinating read which proves that fiction is news that stays news.
    Last edited by ledbetter; 07-11-2020 at 07:46 PM.

If you want to add some fiction to your non, Camus’ “The Plague” is remarkable in showing how humans behave in lockdowns, times of scarcity, etc. A fascinating read which proves that fiction is news that stays news.
    Will check into it. My 'to read' list is about 25 books deep right now. I have banned myself for new books till I get caught up!

Typical. Teachers will get the short straw and get forced back to a worksite without even any proper ppe. Moreover, municipalities and states will hope for early retirements or furloughs for refusing to work, thus lowering budgets, and hire scabs or “emergency” teachers fresh out of college with no training, but who are hungry for a job, have no idea what they are doing despite their youthful enthusiasm, and who typically leave within three years. And with any luck, the teacher’s unions will be severely weakened making only the precious first responders of fire and police the last bastion of union labor which has enough irony for another post.

We are _all_ on the short straw. I'm still working, in IT. Clients are never masking up and are standing right _over_ me when I sit at their desk. I can feel some of their breath blowing what little hair I have left back and forth.

I can't chastise them, or they will get butthurt and find a new IT firm. I sit where people live, at their desk. I'm touching keyboard, mouse, desk, chair arms, etc.

We are _all_ on the short straw. I'm still working, in IT. Clients are never masking up and are standing right _over_ me when I sit at their desk. I can feel some of their breath blowing what little hair I have left back and forth.

I can't chastise them, or they will get butthurt and find a new IT firm. I sit where people live, at their desk. I'm touching keyboard, mouse, desk, chair arms, etc.
    turbodog,
    If you are in IT, you *might* be considered a nerd. It wouldn't be too unreasonable to expect that a nerd might be germophobic. If you explain that you are a germophobe, they might back off a little, and give you a little more space, without getting butthurt. (This way the problem is with you, not them.)

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Poppy; 07-12-2020 at 05:58 AM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Regarding teachers and going back to school.
    I think I agree with all that was said.

I think the most frequent plan mentioned is a hybrid plan, where the kids are physically in school half days, or 2 or 3 days a week, and have virtual classes the other 2-3 days a week.

How do the administrators expect teachers, to teach in person 5 days a week, AND do virtual classes 5 days a week?

While I am NOT in favor of a State Mandated curriculum, I'd suggest that the state, or Feds create a 180 day online curriculum/video presentation, and that the local teachers then do zoom classes or whatever, to answer questions about the presentation. Certainly, there are kids who will get lost, because if for no other reason, they can't sit still for a few hours a day watching videos.

There will a tremendous need for tutors, and in wealthy communities, more Kumon type schools.
    The states should set up rapid deployment of auxiliary teaching facilities.
    Oh boy... this is going to cost some money!

But... IMO (and what do I know?) a few weeks after the kids go back to school, we'll see an explosion of covid.
    Last edited by Poppy; 07-12-2020 at 05:57 AM.

I just heard on local news that someone said (research?) that children don't spread the virus. As with a lot of this so called news you can take it with a grain of salt.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    in winter i use my sleeve for a decade or so.
    There actually is a no-touch product that is taking off lately. Might want to grab you one of these....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1DmkTCaXtE

BTW, have seen other variations of that tool. Would avoid the extremely flimsy plastic ones.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

No offense, seeing how people behave now. With requests from political leaders for self-imposed lockdowns (except for going to supermarkets to buy food, and a couple of other absolutely necessary places). And scarcity varying from whole supermarkets getting ransacked to just a couple of non-essential food stuffs being hard to find, I'm guessing that's going to be a horrendously depressing read.

Don't think I'll ever forget watching two grown Italian men trying to beat each other into a bloody pulp over the very last can of beans left in an Italian supermarket, back a couple of months ago on the news.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-12-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    No offense, seeing how people behave now. With requests from political leaders for self-imposed lockdowns (except for going to supermarkets to buy food, and a couple of other absolutely necessary places). And scarcity varying from whole supermarkets getting ransacked to just a couple of non-essential food stuffs being hard to find, I'm guessing that's going to be a horrendously depressing read.

Don't think I'll ever forget watching two grown Italian men trying to beat other into a bloody pulp over the very last can of beans left in an Italian supermarket, back a couple of months ago on the news.
    Camus is never depressing in my opinion. His empathy towards the human condition is unflinching during fascism or a plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    turbodog,
    If you are in IT, you *might* be considered a nerd. It wouldn't be too unreasonable to expect that a nerd might be germophobic. If you explain that you are a germophobe, they might back off a little, and give you a little more space, without getting butthurt. (This way the problem is with you, not them.)

Just a thought.
    Too late for that. They have known me for too long. Probably moot... in a given day I interact with maybe 75 people.

i saw 3 reuable mask for 5 bucks at walmart this am. if ya need them this sounds like a great deal on pay day im geting some for sure
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Too late for that. They have known me for too long. Probably moot... in a given day I interact with maybe 75 people.
    AH... then you need a hat.
    "If you can read this you are too damn close!"

Let's hope that their social bubble is practicing safe covid.

I feel your pain. Maybe you can carry a spare disposable mask and offer it to them for "their protection." If they take you up on the offer, it will not only protect you and them, it will allow them to save face as well as set a positive example for their co-workers.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I feel your pain. Maybe you can carry a spare disposable mask and offer it to them for "their protection." If they take you up on the offer, it will not only protect you and them, it will allow them to save face as well as set a positive example for their co-workers.
    That's an idea, but I'm not holding my breath. It's already legally mandated and still no mask. A LOT of these folks think it's overblown, conspiracy, not going to happen to them, just a flu, etc.

This is a really good example of what I'm dealing with. This guy was a former gubernatorial (big word of the day!) candidate. His post is currently trending on FB and was featured on the front page of the largest newspaper in the state. There's a poll on tv's website... 2/3 of respondents agree with him.

https://www.facebook.com/foster4ms/p...784?__tn__=K-R

That's an idea, but I'm not holding my breath. It's already legally mandated and still no mask. A LOT of these folks think it's overblown, conspiracy, not going to happen to them, just a flu, etc.

This is a really good example of what I'm dealing with. This guy was a former gubernatorial (big word of the day!) candidate. His post is currently trending on FB and was featured on the front page of the largest newspaper in the state. There's a poll on tv's website... 2/3 of respondents agree with him.

https://www.facebook.com/foster4ms/p...784?__tn__=K-R
    Not going to remove this. BUT... let's not go any further into politics, ok? Thanks in advance

Sorry. Not meant as political comment. Was meant to show... local sentiment... maybe. Maybe other states are just as bad. I sort of figure MS is always at the bottom of the list and some people from other states don't get just how things are in the deep south. This guy could have been our governor...

Sorry. Not meant as political comment. Was meant to show... local sentiment... <snip>
    I believe, most people live just within their means. I can appreciate the frustrations of a business owner, who was forced to close, and then when permitted to re-open, was restricted to a small percentage of his previous capacity. A month after being closed, the owner might have had to go into savings to pay for his monthly expenses.

Unless he was particularly successful and has multiple lines of income.

Sorry. Not meant as political comment. Was meant to show... local sentiment... maybe. Maybe other states are just as bad. I sort of figure MS is always at the bottom of the list and some people from other states don't get just how things are in the deep south. This guy could have been our governor...
    Totally understood it that way. That's why I didn't remove it. Just want to make sure others do too... and don't go off sideways with it.

In just the fast few days I've seen posts from two different thirtysomethings who said "Hell no, I'm not wearing a mask, it's a hoax, my freedom, etc)... and now they're both dead from Covid. These are preventable tragedies.

In just the fast few days I've seen posts from two different thirtysomethings who said "Hell no, I'm not wearing a mask, it's a hoax, my freedom, etc)... and now they're both dead from Covid. These are preventable tragedies.
    I saw a post somewhere else about 3 teachers wearing gloves and masks that all got infected too.

Yeah, the problem is not so much that they were not wearing a mask, but that mind set has a tendency to socialize with those of the same mindset.

Reports from experts state that" this is more contagious than we first thought."

Wait until the schools open... this is going to be a real SH## show. IMO each classroom should be negative air pressure ventilated, as a start. I doubt that is going to happen in the next 45 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I saw a post somewhere else about 3 teachers wearing gloves and masks that all got infected too.
    It's airborne, so they also need to wear goggles.

Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 125255565758596061626364656667686972 ... LastLast