Malkoff        
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 1070

Thread: Coronavirus - II

  1. #181
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,940

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Nobody is arguing. And you've proven my point nicely. Thank you.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

  2. #182
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Our local communities are lobbying the governor with novel ideas on how to allow some outdoor activities to re-open (as many were closed for winter anyway) while allowing certain safety procedures to be incorparated.
    This should be the goal; people working with their government to find logical compromises to work within safety guidelines. The "let's just go back to how it was" approach based on calendar dates and not science will leave us all in an unfavorable position.

  3. #183
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    905

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Star.. Has any of your Amz co workers ever tried strangling you with their bare hands

    Rhetorically speaking

  4. #184
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,134

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Star.. Has any of your Amz co workers ever tried strangling you with their bare hands

    Rhetorically speaking
    Now now
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  5. #185
    Flashaholic mightysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palookaville, USA
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Here's the article about the violent sex offenders released by court order against the wishes of law enforcement: https://abc7news.com/orange-county-s...e-jail/6138210

    Here's an article about someone suspected of assault, being brought to jail by a park ranger, then escaped and shot to death by police: https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/lo...c-0e93ef5f1121

    Either there is more to the story than that article, or the police are tired of catching and releasing criminals that are trying to hurt people. Be careful out there. It's turning into the wild west.
    Hmmm. There will always be prisoners released who turn around and commit more crimes. We can’t afford to keep people in prison forever, after all, and the idea of punishment in a constitutional republic is based on proportionate punishment depending on the crime, and the defendant’s record. Cruel and unusual punishments are specifically banned by the constitution.

    As for the frustration of officers, I can only speak from 20 years of working directly with officers in my job in the prosecutor’s office. I am very familiar with the frustration of officers when we constantly “no paper” their arrests/lockup’s or reduce the charges. But we have a constitution at the local and federal level that says the police have to meet the burden of proof to have the arrestee charged with a particular crime. And the state has to be held to an even higher standard to protect everyone’s rights as we try to get justice for victims and the community. It’s been my experience that the majority of officers appreciate the requirements placed on them to meet the legal standards we hold them to, because they know the arrestee will ultimately be convicted if they make a good arrest with the arrest charges proven without a doubt.

    Aside from that, assault is a low level misdemeanor. Running from a simple assault charge is bizarre. Where I live and work, you can be convicted of assault many times and only get probation. Nobody goes to prison for an assault conviction. Shooting the guy is also strange. That is going to be a problem for the officers involved, unless the guy was endangering their lives in some way, before he was shot.

    Finally, in the a United States, the police don’t determine how much prison time or other punishments are imposed on people convicted of crimes. The punishments or other remedies (drug treatment, community service, etc) are determined by the legislative bodies and the court system, often in consultation with experts.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

  6. #186

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Thanks for doing what you do sparrow. (saluting)
    John 3:16

  7. #187

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Star.. Has any of your Amz co workers ever tried strangling you with their bare hands

    Rhetorically speaking
    Clean up on aisle 4. I just sprayed gatorade all over my coffee table.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    John 3:16

  8. #188
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,559

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Thank you for posting the story on Vitamin D. This is the second story I've seen about it, and there does appear to be something interesting going on here.

  9. #189
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    905

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Byk, hate to admit it but i am tuning in to read Star, as well other members contribution to this thread.. But without Star it wouldn't be as much fun!
    Take care

  10. #190
    Flashaholic* Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    4,978

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    We are presented with different graphs pertaining to the covid-19 virus.
    Although they give a pictorial representation of what is going on, they rarely give a complete picture. Actually a number of graphs overlaid are necessary to look at, but they are NOT usually presented. Not even separately so that one could do an analysis himself.

    A not too meaningful graph is the never ending graph of total number of cases. It will always continue to go up. (Please cut me slack for the use of the adjective Always)
    One that would be a little more meaningful would be one that showed the number of cases that are "active" Meaning, the total of cases, with the number of resolved cases subtracted. (Maybe they don't know when a case is resolved).

    There are more tests available now than initially, and the protocols for who is eligible to be tested has changed over time. Originally only those who his/her doctor thought, most likely had the virus (fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing) were permitted to go get tested. As a result, a very high percentage tested positive. Certainly there were many who contracted the disease, but did not progress to "Difficulty breathing" and did not get tested. Since those people are not on any charts/graphs, they are not included in any calculations. I suppose other than to be counted as a member of the general populace NOT infected.
    Now that testing is more available, and the protocols have loosened, more people who are less symptomatic, are being tested. Initially in my community, 80% of those tested, tested positive, now... only 41% test positive. That says to me that the numbers of positive cases on the graphs should have been higher initially, because more less severe symptomatic people who had the disease would have been tested, and would have tested positive, but the tests weren't available.

    So when I see an increase in positive cases today, I can't very well compare it to the positive cases of last week, or two weeks ago. Also, now it might be helpful to have a break-down of the severity of the symptoms and graph that.

    So much to know... so little information offered.

    In this time of stress, let's give consolation when it is needed, and whenever possible speak in the positive.

    Here's to Love to my CPF friends!
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

  11. #191
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,789

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    You're repeating the same counterpoints because you're not correctly interpreting the graphs. If the number of total cases is increasing, then it's not flattening. If the national new cases is increasing, then it's accelerating, which is especially true if stay at home is lifted. Putting these two data points together means it will not go down, that is not favorable.
    - you do realize that by this logic, each new case... even if it's just one next year... means it's accelerating.. right? And by that logic, it will ALWAYS accelerate. Scout is correct - there is a huge difference between the words "increase" and "accelerate". Let's go to the dictionary, shall we?

    in·crease

    verb
    /inˈkrēs/



    • become or make greater in size, amount, intensity, or degree.

      noun
      /ˈinkrēs/
      • an instance of growing or making greater.

    ac·cel·er·ate

    /əkˈseləˌrāt/

    verb


    • (of a vehicle or other physical object) begin to move more quickly.
      • PHYSICS
        undergo a change in velocity.


        Do you see it now? It may seem like it is simply a case of semantics but it is not. Both mean movement. But one clearly relates to the speed of movement rather than just plain old movement. You used the wrong word, SH. And it makes your whole argument invalid.



    Last edited by Greta; 05-02-2020 at 08:21 PM.

  12. #192
    Flashaholic* Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    4,978

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Said another way...
    Equation for Acceleration
    Another formula, acceleration (a) equals change in velocity (Δv) divided by change in time (Δt), calculates the rate of change in velocity over time. This formula may be written a = Δv ÷ Δt.
    --------------------------------

    In the graph that you SH presented, the change of the (increase of number of people testing positive) Divided by Time for the past two weeks has decreased compared to the previous two weeks. Therefore you have a negative acceleration, Otherwise known as Deceleration.
    Last edited by Poppy; 05-02-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

  13. #193

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    Hmmm. There will always be prisoners released who turn around and commit more crimes. We can’t afford to keep people in prison forever, after all, and the idea of punishment in a constitutional republic is based on proportionate punishment depending on the crime, and the defendant’s record. Cruel and unusual punishments are specifically banned by the constitution.

    As for the frustration of officers, I can only speak from 20 years of working directly with officers in my job in the prosecutor’s office. I am very familiar with the frustration of officers when we constantly “no paper” their arrests/lockup’s or reduce the charges. But we have a constitution at the local and federal level that says the police have to meet the burden of proof to have the arrestee charged with a particular crime. And the state has to be held to an even higher standard to protect everyone’s rights as we try to get justice for victims and the community. It’s been my experience that the majority of officers appreciate the requirements placed on them to meet the legal standards we hold them to, because they know the arrestee will ultimately be convicted if they make a good arrest with the arrest charges proven without a doubt.

    Aside from that, assault is a low level misdemeanor. Running from a simple assault charge is bizarre. Where I live and work, you can be convicted of assault many times and only get probation. Nobody goes to prison for an assault conviction. Shooting the guy is also strange. That is going to be a problem for the officers involved, unless the guy was endangering their lives in some way, before he was shot.

    Finally, in the a United States, the police don’t determine how much prison time or other punishments are imposed on people convicted of crimes. The punishments or other remedies (drug treatment, community service, etc) are determined by the legislative bodies and the court system, often in consultation with experts.
    I know how things are supposed to work under our form of government. However, when you close the court houses and release the criminals right after they are arrested (including the violent repeat offenders) something's got to give. Either the people will take matters into their own hands, the police will do the same breaking the law to protect the people, or the criminals will have free reign to hurt people. I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying I'm okay with it. I'm saying it's happening and we should be prepared for it. The police and our government do not have the resources to protect the people so drastic measures are going to be taken to attempt to keep people in line. I think the constitution went out the window when they released criminals while ordering law abiding citizens to stay in their homes and telling some that they couldn't provide for their families while others could.

  14. #194
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Do you see it now? It may seem like it is simply a case of semantics but it is not. Both mean movement. But one clearly relates to the speed of movement rather than just plain old movement.
    The goal is a death rate commensurate with the one that preceded the epidemic. If new cases, which generate the deaths, is not low enough to balance those two death rates, you're still under an epidemic. You can invalidate and even delete the argument as long as we can all agree to take the problem seriously, that's in the next post:

  15. #195
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quick review:

    Some of you folks who are newer here might not be aware of a guy we used to have called Sub_Umbra; his posts are still available in a broad range of prep-centric topics if you look back far enough, where you can read about how he sheltered in place in downtown New Orleans during and after Hurricane Katrina. If you recall the images in and around the flooded French Quarter where people begged helicopters to rescue them and looters moved freely - that's where he was, holed up in a street side residential building posting to us. That's who I learned prepping from. That of all the lights and gadgets we have here, your mindset is the first and most important tool. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. And he has a whole encyclopedic set of posts here about serious SHTF prepping that you can also learn from, where we all shared information and discussed what worked and what didn't.

    So having provided some of my own educational background in prepping (aside from what I've gone through personally,) this sets up a couple of thorny points on the progression of these Coronavirus threads. One, I understand that my vigilance is sometimes interpreted as negativity, but this is the traditional prepper approach to a worldwide emergency event - you need to assume that the situation will not be mild enough that you can take it easy, it defeats the purpose of planning to just read the good parts of the news and then put off planning because there are optimistic ways to look at the situation. There are always optimistic ways to look at the situation, and there are always ways it can get a lot worse - use the second approach when preparing.

    Two, the internet is forever. There are many very memorable news events you can look back through on this site, people talking about planes hitting buildings on 9/11, flooding in Manhattan, the death of Bin Laden, etc. It's all been there for everyone to see since it happened. And now we have this - it's a given that interested folks perusing the site in 2035 will flip back to the threads about that world pandemic that happened long ago, and there will be our posts. So if, on a site renown for prepping, a group of older guys are discussing a pandemic that kills older guys and they keep coming to the conclusion that it's just not that big of a deal, that it's all somebody else's fault and everything's fine and looking up, that's not a good look. There weren't people asked to ration in WWII who declined because it "took their freedoms," or people after 9/11 who were "too concerned" about terrorism - Americans work together to get through the tough time, because you can't sit back and wait for it to get easier.

    I absolutely do argue if someone sets out to be abrupt with me, if you stop someone at your local grocery store to provide them with something witty you came up with, you know that they will almost always meet you equally, I am as human here as I am at the grocery store. But you can see that my direction is one of information and rubber-meets-the-road instruction, I'm taking my vitamin D and watching the curve carefully, that's why I told you about it. Take a moment to look away from those external influences that tell you to just take the easy route and don't worry about it, realize that there absolutely is a threat out there that can truly harm you or your family and that bothers me, realize that there's a reason behind the old compliment "may you live in interesting times," because you're absolutely there here and now, don't miss it..

  16. #196
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    905

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Epic

  17. #197
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,789

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The goal is a death rate commensurate with the one that preceded the epidemic. If new cases, which generate the deaths, is not low enough to balance those two death rates, you're still under an epidemic. You can invalidate and even delete the argument as long as we can all agree to take the problem seriously, that's in the next post:
    What does this even MEAN?!?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    But you can see that my direction is one of information and rubber-meets-the-road instruction,...
    And that would be welcome if the information was accurate... and interpreted accurately. How many more times are you going to quote CNN and make a fool of yourself before you look for other sources? You've been debunked more times than I can even count anymore. And for that reason, no one is even listening to you anymore. So what are you accomplishing?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I'm taking my vitamin D and watching the curve carefully, that's why I told you about it. Take a moment to look away from those external influences that tell you to just take the easy route and don't worry about it, realize that there absolutely is a threat out there that can truly harm you or your family and that bothers me, realize that there's a reason behind the old compliment "may you live in interesting times," because you're absolutely there here and now, don't miss it..
    Sadly, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother years ago. I won't go into all of the gory details that led up to it but it resulted in him telling me "I'm afraid to die". You see... he was living in fear every single day. Not living his life AT ALL! He was too afraid to do anything! My advice to him was "Life's short. Live it!" - That is true for all of us. You say "there absolutely is a threat out there that can truly harm you or your family".... I totally agree! A car running a stop light, a drunk driving home from the bar, a hurricane ripping through your neighborhood, a fire in your house, an amoeba crawling up your nose and eating your brain while you're swimming in your favorite lake (yeah, that happens here where I live!), etc. etc. The list goes on.

    You can do your prepper thing. Good for you! But don't try to shove it down everyone else's throat with false information and skewed "statistics". Just because some of us choose to live our lives, doesn't mean we don't take this pandemic seriously. It simply means we choose to LIVE our lives on OUR terms - not yours. You want to be part of this discussion and impart knowledge and information? It is welcome! But make sure it's accurate. And make sure you're not trying to force YOUR agenda on everyone else. More bees with honey.
    Last edited by Greta; 05-02-2020 at 10:05 PM.

  18. #198
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,880

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    How many more times are you going to quote CNN and make a fool of yourself before you look for other sources? You've been debunked more times than I can even count anymore. And for that reason, no one is even listening to you anymore. So what are you accomplishing?
    My source for nearly all of the info here is Johns Hopkins, even the recent CNN-branded charts are all Hopkins sourced. I have also posted video from and links to Fox, charts from MSNBC, the Atlantic, the Lancet, I posted AOC dancing, and Russell Brand keeps coming up. And regardless of how many other sources I add or delete, some will still find my approach too negative or too political, because "information is evaluated based not on conformity to common standards of evidence or correspondence to a common understanding of the world, but on whether it supports the tribe's values and goals and is vouchsafed by tribal leaders," and that's Vox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    And make sure you're not trying to force YOUR agenda on everyone else. More bees with honey.
    I would like to be able to point out the nation's statistical position in the world without being called un-American, that's not an agenda coming from my end, but I know that's how it'd happen in the aforementioned grocery store or bar. Sometimes you have to go through the bees. Like you said, how other people are reacting is on them, no one has to prove anything.

  19. #199
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,971

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Numbers are fun cuz you can spin them any way you want.

    Over 10,000 people in nursing homes in the USA have died of COVID19. That is a terrible statistic! (True). Nursing homes are doing a terrible job, they are death pits!

    Or:

    Prior to the pandemic, over 1000 people per day died of infections in nursing homes in the USA. Only 10,300 have died since Jan 21 of COVID19, which is about 100 per day. (Also true.) Nursing homes are doing a great job!

    Same info, sounds quite different two ways.

  20. #200
    Flashaholic* lion504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    1,003

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Good post nbp... Reminds me of the quote “There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics...”


    Anyone found any sources of hand sanitizer online, or had any success home brewing?
    Last edited by lion504; 05-03-2020 at 04:56 AM.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

  21. #201
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,134

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Can I just remind everyone to be careful with hand sanitizing all the time. It’s ok to use when you have to but it also kills the good bacteria on your skin which can lead to some nasty warts and skin conditions. You really have to do overdo it to see anything like that. Just a warning.

    Lion, all of our local gas stations keep it in stock so we are particularly lucky in this area
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

  22. #202
    Flashaholic* Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    4,978

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Numbers are fun cuz you can spin them any way you want.

    Over 10,000 people in nursing homes in the USA have died of COVID19. That is a terrible statistic! (True). Nursing homes are doing a terrible job, they are death pits!

    Or:

    Prior to the pandemic, over 1000 people per day died of infections in nursing homes in the USA. Only 10,300 have died since Jan 21 of COVID19, which is about 100 per day. (Also true.) Nursing homes are doing a great job!

    Same info, sounds quite different two ways.
    nbp,
    AWESOME POST!!!
    Two Thumbs Up!!! up:
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

  23. #203

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    I see this thread as much about conversation as information. A group of weirdos chatting about a pandemic sweeping across the planet. (Yes us flashlight geeks are seen as weirdos by many outside this place), but in a way it makes us all part of a prepper crowd too. Another group of weirdos to the outside world. Tin foil hat crowd if you will. Some more extreme than others.

    Dale Earnhart once said "you can go a long way in making your luck good or bad by preparing or not preparing" when asked why he rarely got collected up in big crashes on super speedways. My wife used to say I only saw the weeds and thorns in the field of flowers. Eventually she learned that one can still enjoy the pretty flowers while not getting scratched by the thorns or having allergic reactions to the weeds by knowing they exist, avoiding them and still enjoying a beautiful scenery.

    This pandemic if you will shows us a glaring reality of just how many people are vulnerable to the flu, the head cold, and the upper respiratory distresses caused by them. It also shows how fragile life can be.

    For some to think people protesting is somehow irresponsible, try looking at it through their perspective. Jobless folks in most cases understand at first that it's part of life. But when the rent is due and they are out of money it takes on a whole different look. Some receive stipends from the government that sent them home. But they do not want to sit around with outstretched hand waiting for a handout. It's like having a box of cereal in front of you and having to be fed only what someone else thinks you should be fed. A baby does not know any different. An adult does.

    It does not help when half the populace is thinking the government lied about this whole thing to steal their freedom while the other believes that at any minute the invisble enemy will sneak in their 800 sq ft apartment and murder baby Jane in some kind of toturous method. Charts and graphs that prove both sides are correct.

    I said a while ago "Americans won't like being corraled for long". News agencies show clips of "irresponsible" people who are just fed up with the whole thing while their neighbor calls the cops on moms who let their kids go play with neighbors kids or arrest some guy for selling fruit out of his dress shop that was forced to close. It's getting to a point where the masses are getting fed up by enlightened people telling them what is best for them.

    All across the US (and I suppose other free nations) suicide hotlines are being inundated and there are some out there trying to sound the alarm that things are going south and quickly. Depression is anger without enthusiasm. So if some folks can let off steam with a march down main street than perhaps that will save lives too.

    What Americans want right now is more "goooooooood morning Vietnaaaaaaam" and less Tokyo Rose. In WW2 Americans saw an attack on their land by a hostile nation. They also saw another hostile nation wiping out nations across the planet. We fought hard for our freedom and made huge sacrifices. Not to thwart some virus that only kills about 1-2% but halt the spread of tyranny that kills everybody who do not obey across the planet. That same Tyranny some governors seemingly impose on their own citizens. And for what? Some plague they were told will kill millions? It hasn't happened and now even the WHO is saying the Sweden way is the best way.

    Sweden did not lock down. They mitigated while enjoying life. Should we believe what the WHO says now?
    John 3:16

  24. #204
    Flashaholic* Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    4,978

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    This whole thread was started by Trailhunter on 2/12/2020 with this question:
    Howse everyone holding up?

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    How about a question from Joey on "Friends"
    So... How you doin?
    __________________________________

    I am fortunate in that I have some space to stretch out a bit, with a nice sunny back-yard to go to when the weather is nice.
    I live with people that I actually like.
    I have food, and can obtain more.
    I have TP

    So Life is Good!

    ___________________________________

    OTOH:
    I've been out of work for 7 weeks now, with out a paycheck.
    I haven't gotten my stimulus check
    I am unsure IF and if-when I will be able to collect unemployment. I am "self employed" as an un-contracted, contract worker, but get paid weekly on a day to day basis. The rules for self employed are new and different, and the system is broken.
    When things evolve into the new normal, there is a fairly good chance that the business I have worked for the last three years, will be slow enough that I won't get hired back. That's assuming that it will re-open.
    The stocks that I had, took a big hit.
    My job is a very social event for me and I really enjoy it. The loss of socialization has been a bit of a blow.

    I'm a little depressed.
    I have disturbed sleep at night, and nap a little longer during the day.

    I try to keep the kids involved in different activities, to reduce their boredom. They too have been separated from the few friends that they have. We are all fortunate that they have each other.

    I'm tired of playing cards, but I try to "duo" (its an android version of face-time) with my dad for an hour or so a day playing "knock rummy" to reduce his loneliness while living alone in Florida.

    I am sure that I would feel better if I was more secure in my financial future.

    To top it all off, my daughter has been running a low grade fever for 5 of the last 6 weeks. She hopes to get an exploratory CT scan tomorrow, but has to get it pre-certified by Blue Cross - they were closed for the week-end.

    ______________________________

    Over all I am doing my best to keep my chin up, and enjoy life.
    Doing as much gourmet cooking as I can. Sometimes its good, other times just palatable.

    I hope you are all doing at least as well as I.
    Poppy
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

  25. #205
    Flashaholic mightysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palookaville, USA
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    I know how things are supposed to work under our form of government. However, when you close the court houses and release the criminals right after they are arrested (including the violent repeat offenders) something's got to give. Either the people will take matters into their own hands, the police will do the same breaking the law to protect the people, or the criminals will have free reign to hurt people. I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying I'm okay with it. I'm saying it's happening and we should be prepared for it. The police and our government do not have the resources to protect the people so drastic measures are going to be taken to attempt to keep people in line. I think the constitution went out the window when they released criminals while ordering law abiding citizens to stay in their homes and telling some that they couldn't provide for their families while others could.
    I understand your concerns. I don't know what goes on in other jurisdictions, so I can only speak about what happens in the major metropolitan area I work in that has a relatively high crime rate. Where I work, people who have been arrested but not convicted of the crime for which they've been arrested are not labeled "criminals." The people being released where I live are those in the lockup waiting for their trials. Arraignments and emergency hearings are still going on as normal. So, criminals aren't being released. Violent, repeat offenders are certainly not being released here. I don't know about other locations.

    Some of the people in the lockup have been released due to the Covid-19 emergency, because the law says they can only be held for a certain amount of time, based on the crime alleged. The majority of these people have strict reporting requirements and will incur substantial penalties for violating the terms of their release. In addition, many of these people were released pursuant to intensive supervision. That usually requires them to wear an ankle bracelet that reports where they are at all times, and also has requirements for frequent reporting, drug testing where appropriate, and of course a requirement to report when their court date is finally announced. Under those circumstances, it really is close to impossible to roam around committing violent crimes and get away with doing that.

    In the city where my office is located, it is the prisoners and others whose hearings and trials have been postponed whose constitutional rights might have been most stretched for the sake of public safety during the health emergency. I haven't heard of any of the released prisoners going out and committing violent crimes, but of course it could happen. But it is difficult to imagine what else the court system could have done to protect he public from the virus, while at the same time obeying the constitutional requirements to honor the rights of the prisoners as well as the general public. There is no perfect solution to these situations.

    As for the police and government not having the resources to protect the public - that is the case all the time, whether there is a public health emergency or there isn't. There are never enough police officers and other resources to deter or punish all crimes. And in a time when there are more and more jobs for the government to do, and fewer dollars with which to do all the government is asked to do, it is unlikely that this situation will change anytime soon.

    With regard to the government orders being issued due to Covid-19, as far as I know the law was settled decades ago. The government has broad discretion to issue orders necessary for public health and safety reasons during an emergency. As you know, public emergencies have been declared in all 50 states. My hope is that the hardships imposed on all of us are minimized by the state and federal governments making decisions based on epidemiological data and the advice of experts in the relevant sciences and medical fields. Making decisions based on political considerations, panic, or frustrations will simply backfire and prolong the economic and personal costs of the pandemic.

    I just spent the morning, as I do every Saturday and Sunday morning, driving around town looking intensely for the limited foods I can eat...and it isn't getting any easier. Food insecurity is a reality for the foreseeable future, even for some of us who still have an income. I feel lucky to still have a job, but like everyone else, I want this mess to be over as soon as is possible.
    Last edited by mightysparrow; 05-03-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

  26. #206
    Flashaholic mightysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palookaville, USA
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Poppy: I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's health concerns and also about your employment situation. I hope the situation improves soon, with regard to both.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

  27. #207
    Flashaholic mightysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Palookaville, USA
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Numbers are fun cuz you can spin them any way you want.

    Over 10,000 people in nursing homes in the USA have died of COVID19. That is a terrible statistic! (True). Nursing homes are doing a terrible job, they are death pits!

    Or:

    Prior to the pandemic, over 1000 people per day died of infections in nursing homes in the USA. Only 10,300 have died since Jan 21 of COVID19, which is about 100 per day. (Also true.) Nursing homes are doing a great job!

    Same info, sounds quite different two ways.
    Or, we can look at it as one statistic, but looked at in two different contexts. So, there is nothing wrong or dishonest about the statistic in itself - but, like any information, how it is interpreted can differ, depending on the context in which we view it.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

  28. #208

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Doing ok here Poppy. Life is about as normal as can be right now. Stress levels are a bit higher than they used to be from being surrounded by outbreaks. But life is always full of unforseens so we try to adapt.

    Before this thing Mrs Fixer and I considered a trip to the grocery store as a date. Running errands were a bonus date. We lived a pretty simple life already. We once lived a life of one single mom raising 3 boys with no support from the X, while the other was paying a big chunk of a paycheck to child support. Our first house had 1 tv that was never plugged in, a bed for all 5 people in the home and lawn furniture for a dining room setup. She had no job, my hours were cut while we raised teenage boys who were pretty rambuncious. That was way more stressful than this corona thing.

    We managed then, and 14 years later we are managing well. Both of us had our hours cut recently yet preparing in advance get by while enjoying each new day as if it could be our last. No time to me miserable. No worries about tomorrow because Heaven knows today brings enough what we like to call "surprise adventures".

    The fact that I am able to post here in this threads means things are ok. I'm fortunate that both the mortgage payment and car payment are current, I now have real thermometers in the medicine cabinet and nutritious food in the cupboard. All five kids are still gainfully employed too. As a bonus I had some group buy M61 modules arrive and being 4L's means the batteries fueling them will run a good long time.
    John 3:16

  29. #209
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,789

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Just going to throw this out there:

    There's a book titled "Thinking In Bets" by Annie Duke. As a Poker Champion, the author states that life is NOT like a chess game but like a poker game. In most instances in life, we do not have all of the facts. Therefore making decisions are akin to making a bet. You decide based on what you know and bet on what you don't. Some decisions have good outcomes, some have bad. Good decisions don't always have good outcomes. And bad decisions don't always have bad outcomes. But we tend to base further decisions on previous outcomes and that isn't always best either.

    An example - you make the bad decision to drive home from the bar drunk one night. You know you're drunk. You know you shouldn't be driving. But you place your bet and get behind the wheel. You win this bet this time - you make it home safely. Bad decision - good outcome. Going forward, you might be inclined to place that bet again. Inevitably though, you will lose. Mostly because the odds are terribly against you with that particular bet.

    The point is that we have to make decisions for ourselves every single day that are basically a bet because we do not have all of the information and/or we are drawing from past bets and outcomes. We are all responsible for ourselves and we all have different decisions to make with different amounts of information. I know what my hand looks like, you know what your hand looks like, but neither of us knows what the other's hand looks like. Likely, we'll make different bets. But even if we both make the same bet, we'll for sure both have different outcomes. Not necessarily good or bad, but for sure different. Viva la différence!

    Many people in these threads have shared their personal experiences. I think we all have a few similarities but each of us has something slightly different. All in all... we're getting by one way or another, doing what works for us, placing our bets. Me? I'm doing ok. I do miss the comradery of a rousing game of poker at my local cigar bar. But honestly, other than that, I never did like being around people so this is pretty good! Now I don't have to make excuses for having my groceries delivered - win/win. Financially, we're good. Honey is working full time at Home Depot... but also has two retirements coming in. He's happy... he's down to (as he puts it) "combat weight" and feeling great. Me? We won't discuss that. (Anyone try the Corona Seltzers? Yummy!! .... er... so a friend told me )

    So... go place your bets, my friends! But most of all... LIVE!

  30. #210
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    22,246

    Default Re: Coronavirus - II

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    Poppy: I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's health concerns and also about your employment situation. I hope the situation improves soon, with regard to both.

    +1
    thoughts and best wishes from over the pond poppy, hope she gets better soon and everything settles down more.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •