driver for XHP 70.2

denzel

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm a very beginner of flashlight world.
I would built on my own a simple LED flashlight. would you kidly suggest my a proper driver (just a simple and not too expansive one) to supply just one XHP 70.2 LED, with 2 18650 series connected (i would like to use the 6 V mode)?
thanks in advance!

denzel

Newly Enlightened
I dont know, if it is still up to date, but you can use something like this https://www.fasttech.com/p/1127403 and do a zener mod. If you need more output, just attatch more amc7135 to it. But it is also dependent on your host.

Thank you very much, maybe I think I choose xhp70 version, with this type of driver:

https://asflashlights.com/-diy-part...l_parts-wire_and_spring_120/68-voltage-6_volt

do you think this is a good configuration without any other 7135?
I think I will use the series of 2 18650, the only problem I have is that there is no no way to change the modes to lower the power with that driver, can you help me to find something that could fit?

devryd

Newly Enlightened
This is a different kind of driver. It is strong enough for the xhp70 for sure, but you need a good host for heat sinking. It says, that it has different mode groups do change the output on the website, so you should be able to change to lower modes

jdvoracek

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome. You said you were new to flashlight modding, so I hope you understand I am just offering advice for you to consider. You need to choose what you will be using for a host before you fully decide on an LED and a driver. One cell hosts are much less expensive than two cell hosts because they are so much more common. For example, a Convoy S2+ is a very available and popular one cell choice. The host will determine the physical size of both the driver and LED/PCB (MCPCB) you need. The only two cell hosts I can think of are the Convoy L2 and L6 which will cost $40-80. As has been said, you need a pretty good heat sink (bigger host) to handle the heat of an XHP 70.2. Good luck!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a FET type driver, with no regulation. Thus the currents will be determined by the internal resistance of your cell(s), emitter, and light body. It would be very easy to get excessive currents with modern high current cells. Also, light output will drop steadily as the battery discharges.

I'm not saying that it's a bad driver, just one to be careful with.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://asflashlights.com/-diy-part...l_parts-wire_and_spring_120/68-voltage-6_volt

the only problem I have is that there is no no way to change the modes to lower the power with that driver, can you help me to find something that could fit?

This driver does have modes that lower the power. It has a complicated User Interface (UI) that offers lots of options. It lowers power by turning the LED on and off very rapidly. It controls power by the ratio of on time to off time. If it is on for 1 mS and off for 1 mS, that gives 50% power. If it's on for 1.5 mS and off for 0.5 mS, that's 75% power. At these times, a human can't see the on and off times, only the average. Digital cameras can see the on and off times, and can be greatly affected by them.

What this driver does NOT do is to define what 100% power is. It can give you 100%, 10%, or 1%, but it cannot give you 10W, 1W, or 0.1W. The power that you get at 100% is determined by your build, not by the driver.