Neutral vs Cool on Malkoff HD Super?

DocJ

Newly Enlightened
Currently in the market for a new light. Malkoff has been on my radar for a while and one reason being that they offer a neutral/ warm option. Been really considering the Hound Dog Super. If I choose this model I've heard its neutral is excessively warm and it's cool is more of a real neutral. So. I'm torn on what to choose should I go this route. Does anyone have any input on what to expect with the tint or have beam shots to compare? Thanks!

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I do not have both versions, but I assume you saw that he has a beam shot on his site to at least give you somewhat of an idea.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Doc,

In your other post requesting info on lights I put a link to some beam shots. That is the Cool HD Super. It does look much warmer than expected in real life for a "cool" light.

I don't have a neutral to compare it to, but it is a data point.

Good luck.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Tint preference is extremely individualized, and can vary depending on purpose and situation.

Can you give us some examples from your experience of the type(s) of tint(s) you specifically like, and what you will be illuminating ?

For comparison, you could use an incandescent lamp, or a particular brand and model of flashlight (even the exact emitter or CCT, if known)

Last edited:

DocJ

Newly Enlightened
My first foray into the realm of good flashlights was my first incandescent Maglight. Loved it. Bought a few more until I discovered Surefire and Streamlight. Which, to my knowledge only do cool tinted LEDs. I'm fine with it. And have always purchased Streamlight and been very happy. Never really graduated past that point until recently. Desiring something "more". So. I cannot say what tint I really prefer because I've never really focused on how the tint really matters...but seeing as how tint is an option, I'm trying to learn.

jrgold

Enlightened
6f5c2144671a1b6a133b16480c8bd2f9.jpg

E2xtd cool

17a0153444f469e4d87158c6e581c410.jpg

Hound dog super neutral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
There are quite a few tradeoffs involved between "warm" and "cool"

I'll leave "neutral" out of things, at this point, because no one really agrees on where that is.

Cool tints are more efficient. More output at similar runtime, or same output with longer runtime.

Warm tints often (not always) render a spectrum of colors better.

Some individuals find certain tints "easier on the eyes" but preferences vary between warm and cool. Most seem to prefer slightly warm, for this, on balance.

Some situations favor a particular tint, due to the brain's automatic "white balance" .... This is a very interesting and complex topic, but will vary with many factors, including ambient light and even time of day or night.

DocJ

Newly Enlightened
Doc,

In your other post requesting info on lights I put a link to some beam shots. That is the Cool HD Super. It does look much warmer than expected in real life for a "cool" light.

I don't have a neutral to compare it to, but it is a data point.

Good luck.

And. Yes. I truly appreciate your long response in that thread and sharing the shots. The one downside is that my wife wanted to see and is now begging for the HD Super. And...maybe we will ultimately build a collection. Several of the lights shown look very impressive.

You do hit on a point I'm concerned about. I'd lean toward the neutral but if anything I don't want an overly warm output. Basically, want to make sure the tint is really what I want and will best benefit us in our exploits.

jrgold

Enlightened
And just to add my own personal and subjective opinion, I really prefer a warmer tint for a floodier walking light. For a thrower it's less important to me. I do see a little more clarity with a cooler tinted thrower. The downside is if there is mist or fog in the air a cooler tint seems to reflect off the air more. This reduces visibility. A warmer tint tends to cut through better. They both have their place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you are building a collection, and have the means to do so, you may want to start with (say) an MD3 or MD4 host + a couple of different dropins.

The Malkoff system is modular, so most of the parts are compatible.

There is also active B/S/T in the Marketplace for these "previously owned" items :)

DocJ

Newly Enlightened
Wish it were possible to simply "like" people's posts here. So much good insight.

The bit about cutting through fog and drizzle better made me inherently more interested in a warmer light. However, with the "cool" being decently warm, would it still accomplish this or would it be best to go with the neutral even if it is a bit...very warm?

If you are building a collection, and have the means to do so, you may want to start with (say) an MD3 or MD4 host + a couple of different dropins.
The Malkoff system is modular, so most of the parts are compatible.

There is also active B/S/T in the Marketplace for these "previously owned" items :)

I don't know that a collection would happen overnight. Just feeling excited about jumping on the Malkoff wagon after all this time. Just want to start with something solid and go from there to fill in the niches over time. Eventually replace my collection of Streamlights if I'm as impressed as I believe I will be.

I'll have to check the marketplace. Thanks!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Present versions of the Super HD are rated at 6200K "cool" , or 4000K "neutral" , in terms of CCT.

I do not own either but, based on the listed specs, would personally consider 6200K rather cool and 4000K moderately warm.

Tint is distinct from color temperature, and that can strongly affect perception.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Doc,

One thing about Malkoff is the superb customer service. If you buy something and don't like it, they will trade you for something else as long as it isn't beaten up. They want you to be happy.

It can be hard to "just try" something that can be expensive, but if you try a cool HD super and feel it is too cool, Gene will trade you for a neutral head.

One other thing that keeps popping in my head is how much brighter any of these lights will be compared to what you have. A MD2 may suffice with over twice the output you are currently used to.

If you want a thrower the HD super is IMO a reliable and durable thrower. It's also twice the size and price of a MD2.

Or the MD2 HOT is a blend of both but closer to the regular M61 than it is the HD super. It is just a bit throwier with a slightly smaller amount of spill than your standard MD2 M61.

I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them honestly.

Many of the lights I have put beam shots up of are throwers primarily designed for weapon mount uses. They are excellent at what they do but for your application some spill is probably desired.

Malkoff stuff goes in and out of stock, so if you want to transition soon, you may want to make a jump and see how you like it. Or call Gene; he will be helpful.

Or go with something completely different. I'm not the resident expert but based on your high reliability desire and other answers on the form, Malkoff seems a logical choice.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
Thanks OP for getting answers for my last question in the Hound Dog Super thread. LOL.

I like the 4000K but I think when I get the new Wildcat (hopefully in 4000K) I might get a 6200K Super Hound Dog too. (We need a group buy for a 5000K) Personally, 6200K is Icy cold and is quite blue, even more than a surefire P3X. My 6200K MDC SHO is like Ice even next to a 5000K Emisar. Almost purple. I do like warmer tints but not incan warm. 4000-5000 is my preference.

For your choice, it depends on what you think you will like, you sure see colors better in the woods at 4000K. And for my eyes, it is much easier on them at 4000K.

DocJ

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to try posting a side by side of the only two comparable beamshots I have so far:

Neutral from JRGold:
17a0153444f469e4d87158c6e581c410.jpg

Cool, from StagMoose:
1bqctL8.jpg

Honestly, based on the pictures, both seem to give great colour rendition compared to the streamlights. But, they are also different enough to not give a good idea on which version would suite my needs best. An example I can give is finding an old cemetery in the middle of an abandoned field. Trying to find the tops of the gravestones amongst tall grasses can be challenging. Colour rendition would likely help keep from missing the markers in this case, but so might a light that creates more contrast.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really not a fair comparison to use photos from two completely different sources and scenarios since there is no control over expose, white balance, ambient lighting, etc.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
It's really not a fair comparison to use photos from two completely different sources and scenarios since there is no control over expose, white balance, ambient lighting, etc.

Yes you are correct, I did beam shots with a 6200K MDC last night against a SF M600 Scout light probably in the 4500K range and my Samsung S10 auto corrected everything so much I could not tell the difference in color only the pattern.

I was comparing a MDC 6200K 1X123A against a 1X123A MDC body with a 16340 cell and a 600 lumen Surefire M600 scout head (Which works very well for anyone interested) against a Surefire M600 Scout head with 1X123A cell against a Scout head with 2X123a cells.

In short The color was not possible to differentiate, but I was not using pro mode, or any of the other 10 modes Android 10 2.1 UI has.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer cool, for being more efficient, while having a much higher output. That's just my opinion. Neutral for me is only good when taking photos.