XHP50.2 driver questions

Lolaralph

Enlightened
I'm new to the XHP series, I've built quite a few lights in years past but am interested in an XHP50.2 build and have driver questions. If I understand correctly the XHP50.2 is a 3V led so can I treat it like any other standard Cree LED, meaning can I simply go with a 7135 driver, possibly with a few added chips and a single Li Ion cell powering it. I'm thinking a decent P60 drop in. Thanks for any suggestions....you leave this hobby for a few years and it's like starting over, LOL

devryd

Newly Enlightened
I never worked with the xhp50.2 but as far as I know, it is a 6V /12V chip and there are some variants with 3V. They will need a really high amperage though, if you go for full power.
And you need quite a lot of cooling.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use the 3V variant of the XHP50.2 like you would any other 3V LED

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the Cree website, and it does not look like the XHP-50 in any generation or variant is available as a 3V part. Does somebody know something I don't? (Well, duh, but specifically about this).

While it's true that the dies in the part are still 3V (approx) dies, the part is only available with 2 strings of 2 dies. If you wire them in parallel, you get 6V. If you wire them in series, you get 12V.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the part number for the 3V variant. You will see it on the datasheet XHP50B-00-0000-0A00K2051

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a 3V version, but it is typically known as a 6V/12V version. I've played around with a couple and they are pretty powerful. Devryd is right, they do get hot when you run it on high. For a P60 build, I'd use a programmer driver or one that had nice evenly spaced modes so you don't have to run it on high all the time.

Note, it has an XM-size die, so you can use a reflector and gaskets made for an XM-L2.