Malkoff        
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy! ALL SHIPPED

Default Re: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy! ALL SHIPPED

No one does.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic*

.. and why members were not given a tint choice?

Such as id30209 who is located in EU. Why he could not request the rosy tint he desires?

Def not a democratic process

Well dot would of had to go through every drop in and check each one individually. Not to mention his eyes may see different then yours or mine. Would of been a nightmare for him.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I think some of the suppliers (intl-outdoor and MTN) sent a batch with slightly "offset" bins and Gene just stuffed them as they came in hand not knowing what's the story.
    But if you look at the Cree BIN chart, 3D should be (mostly) bellow BBL which is rosy...

Mine came. Iím happy. I have no idea which one I got but I donít really see any yellow or ďrosyĒ tint. Itís white. Looks white by itself and compared to my elzetta AVS and alpha 315. I think the 315 is a little rosy so Iím guessing i got the more neutral one. Once I get a high low switch for my host Iíll be thrilled. Then I need a 2 cell host. It looks whiter in person. The door is white.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nmiller; 07-06-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Nice. Ya Iíd say thatís white! BTW is your door on sideways? 😁
    Last edited by thermal guy; 07-06-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    No one does.
    If the 20 from mtn are below BBL, that only leaves 8 of the 10 emitters that are pure white sourced from Hank in HC

If I read Dot post correctly he keeps 2 pure white..
    That leaves only 6 modules left..
    Odds are not that great receiving a pure white

Flashaholic*

nmiller scored!!

[QUOTE=thermal guy;5400548]Nice. Ya Iíd say thatís white! BTW is your door on sideways? [

Nope. Just my poor phone/computer skills. I have no idea why it uploaded like that.

Lol 😂

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    I think some of the suppliers (intl-outdoor and MTN) sent a batch with slightly "offset" bins and Gene just stuffed them as they came in hand not knowing what's the story.
    But if you look at the Cree BIN chart, 3D should be (mostly) bellow BBL which is rosy...
    I don't believe Malkoffs just stuffs the emitters into modules without a functioning check before seal/potted. Otherwise how'd Gene know if installed a bad emitter?

Iím sure he does functioning checks. But not for tint.

Flashaholic*

I am sure Gene noticed the tint variation, but since he did not supply the emitters, not his concern

You know not for nothing but you are going to get so much slack if yours turns out exactly how you like it 😂😂😂😂😂

I just retrieved mine from the mailbox. One is slightly rosy, and the other is not. Even with the two beams side by side on the same wall, the difference isn't great.

I'm happy.

Help me out here. When you guys say rosy do you mean it has a pinkish tint to it?

Kinda like the 219B from illumn?

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I don't believe Malkoffs just stuffs the emitters into modules without a functioning check before seal/potted. Otherwise how'd Gene know if installed a bad emitter?
    Iím sure he does functioning checks. But not for tint.
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I am sure Gene noticed the tint variation, but since he did not supply the emitters, not his concern
    Yeap, not his emitters, not his concern about variations. Much.

Sent from Tapatalk

Help me out here. When you guys say rosy do you mean it has a pinkish tint to it?

Yes.

It seems that with additional use, the tint might be reduced. I remember my M61N SHO being among my rosiest Malkoffs, so I grabbed it for a comparison. It now seems only slightly pink. The M61SHO 219 also seems less rosy that I recall.

Got mine in. Itís WHITE! Really white. Nothing like the first GB but I like it!!!

Now when I say itís white thatís just next to my M91BN from the first GB. Next to a standard 91B itís not.
    Last edited by thermal guy; 07-06-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Arrived! Waiting for dark...

I'm impressed how much light these put out on a single 18650. The brightest light I have a sphere number for is a 225lm HDS. This is brighter on a single cell. Did anyone with the means to measure come up with a lumen value in this configuration? I'll do my own runtime, that I have the equipment for...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Infrnl got like 600 off a single 18650

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    I just retrieved mine from the mailbox. One is slightly rosy, and the other is not. Even with the two beams side by side on the same wall, the difference isn't great.

I'm happy.
    Good to know not puke pink!

Thanks thermal guy.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Received my dropins today. Definitely both rosy. Iíll have to wait until dark to really evaluate. But when compared to other lights I consider to be neutral, I can see a slight pinkish hue. Itís subtle, but noticeable.

The new neutral one out powers the old one in small 1/2 bath ceiling bounce, and also across the bedroom lux measurements.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 07-06-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Flashaholic*

Old M91B not the recent rosy?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    The new neutral one out powers the old one in small 1/2 bath ceiling bounce, and also across the bedroom lux measurements.
    I was going to say that this new one looks brighter to me as well. But could be the tint. Itís definitely not a carbon copy of the first GB. Although I do like the tint on this as well.

Hello all! Sorry for lack of contact recently.

So for the emitters themselves, as has been noted, there is some of the V6 3D bin at/above BBL though the majority is definitely below. Unfortunately there's no way to tell even if you buy in big batches like Hank @ INTL or Richard @ MTN. Aside from this, CREE is relatively well known to be.... less than accurate with their binning (actually one of the reasons Gene cited moving away from CREE emitters). Even when they go out of the way to specify deviation measurements they are very rarely correct. This is the name of the game unfortunately.

As for different sources in this group buy, 10 emitters were sourced from INTL outdoor, 20 from MTN. This only occurred because there was stagnant interest for about 2 weeks, and to push the group buy forwards we proceeded on with buying emitters. Shortly thereafter there was final increase of spiked interest and I needed to find another source, since I had purchased the last of these out of MTN I had to get the last 10 from INTL-outdoor. Both are the same exact bin, XP-L V6 3D. This was definitely not ideal, but it's the hand I played with the cards I was dealt.

On testing and picking:

I value the trust placed in me in the form of receiving and holding lots of your moneys. I take this seriously- though I still have lots of fun doing it. From my perspective, I did not receive a box full of MY things, I received a box full of about 20 other people's things. Very nice, low production/ custom made, and rather expensive things. Ignoring the different emitter sources, I try to pick numbers for myself before hand, pull them and set them aside, and then go about getting everything organized to ship to respective owners. I have little desire to be holding someone else's property, let alone using. Reflectors are very delicate, and I wanted zero chance for any dust or particles to get in there and affect other's property. I get a bad taste in my mouth thinking that I am somehow privvy to pick whatever tint/ number whatever regardless of perception or lack-there-of so I avoid doing so, especially if that involves going through other people's things.

The only number I actually "picked" was #1, because I didn't have a #1 of my group buys yet, and completely randomly picked #25. I had no knowledge of their tints at the time, turns out #1 is rosy, and #25 is a bit more neutral. So this made me wonder if #1-20 were one tint, and #21-28 were another tint. I grabbed a few from the range (I think #3, #9, #13, #15, #23, #28) to very quickly test and see if there a way to tell what # dropin was what tint. Turns out, there isn't, some from the lower range were more neutral, from the higher 20s range were more rosy. It's very unlikely that Gene even knew once the epoxy all set, as I think engraving is the last step for him. At very least no note of it was made to me, not that I ever expected one to be made.

So in short, I didn't want to go through touching everyone else's stuff. Plus, there was no good way to sort out who gets what. Maybe at some point I'll entertain picking numbers but that always is a mess and 'fair' is so subjective, I'd rather just not have to muck about with that. Trying to manage two different K temps as one Group Buy for the LLLL N was more than enough trouble, but trying to manage two differing tints of the same run and numbers for specific people is just not something I wanted to mess with.

I don't know what the original 91BN's tint was like as I bought one of the 4000Ks, I'm most curious to hear how these new ones compare to the old ones.

Here's a link to an IMGUR album of some beamshots, the two compared and the two with my 4000K M91BN. Personally I don't think this image is super accurate to how it all looks. The Rosy doesn't look quite as rosy as it does in person. The Neutral looks about right in the second pic, it looks too green in the first.

Is the 'neutral' more desirable to some? I would have thought most preferred to rosy. The "rosy" variant is a bit brighter too, though I'm unsure if that's at all related or correlated with the differing tints. I get about a 20lm difference in my 3.5" tube.
    Last edited by dotCPF; 07-07-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

DOT,,, you did great. You did everything you could do to insure we got the best we could get. As far as I see it none of this is your fault and even though my new 91 is not identical to my 91 from the first GB Iím still very happy with it. Thanks for all your hard work.

Yes! Sorry you've asked this twice, now you've gotten a couple answers. It's just the other end of the 'green' tint spectrum that some LEDs have. Technically speaking, the tint color should be referred to as magenta, since that's the complement of green in light. Rosy is just a prettier way to say it. There's a bit more red in the beam.

I don't end up liking Rosy so much. Especially above 4500K, everything looks purple and it's really ugly to me. I don't mind a little magenta 4000K-4500K, and at 5000K it's pretty alright too. If I have a good amount of magenta in the beam though, I like 3500K or below, makes it a nice beautiful orange tinge, very similar to incan. Though on the whole, I prefer my lights be perfectly neutral.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast