• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy! ALL SHIPPED

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phase 4 Dropins Shipped, Tracking numbers sent! (7/4/20)

Phase 3.875- dropins are finished, I should have them by the weekend. (6/23/20)

Phase 3.
LEDs are here! Payment PMs have been sent to EVERYONE. LEDs ship to Gene tomorrow, Tuesday June 2nd 2020. If you do not have a Payment PM, please contact me ASAP. (6/1/20)

DHL tracking says LEDs will be here Monday, June 1st. Will ship to Gene promptly. Payment details being finalized now. Expect payment PMs to happen over the next week. (5/27/20)
LEDs have shipped from China, ETA TBD. Also waiting for final price from Gene. I will update the moment I have more information. Payment amount still pending. Please standby! (5/21/20)

Phase 2.2- GB is a go. Extra LEDs being ordered. 5 more spots open! I will be finalizing payment amounts by 5/15/20.
(5/13/20)https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-SPOTS-OPEN!&p=5390075&viewfull=1#post5390075
Phase 1 Complete, On to Phase 2 pending Gene's reply. GB is a go.

This is a Group Buy for much sought-after M91B N module.

LED is a 5000K XP-L HD V6 3D from MTN. LEDs were $5.25/ea + shipping

There is a minimum order quantity of 20 units, CONUS shipping only, further upon special arrangement. Prepay price is $TBD (This is the cost of the drop-in from Gene and the cost of the LED), plus shipping to be exactly calculated later (assume $9.75~ for Priority Flat Rate CONUS). Exact dropin price is YET TO BE DETERMINED, for the first run of M91BNs was around $93 IIRC.

20 is the minimum and I will do my best to include everyone who signs up prior to May 10, 2020.

If this sounds interesting, read on…

All communication should take place in the comments for transparency. I won't respond to PMs regarding this GB unless otherwise arranged. The exception is for non CONUS or international shipping inquiries. Past experiences have shipping to Canada at around $27, and shipping to Australia around $40.

Phase 1 –Sign-Up:

- Indicate your willingness to participate in the group buy by posting the following in the comments: "I'm in for QTY x"
- Posting that you want to participate is a firm commitment to buy. Others are depending on you! Don't indicate that you're going to participate if you're "just thinking about it." Think about it first, then decide, then sign-up.
- Sign-up will last through 2359 hours on May 10th, 2020.
- If we don't get to 20, then we will shut down. (LOL)

Phase 2 – Pre-Pay:

- If we get at least 20 buyers, you send $TBD to me via PayPal Goods and Services. This breaks down to TBD
- PP G&S protects you through Purchase Protection, so no gnashing of teeth over the small extra amount.
- Exact details on the information to send with your PP will be provided later!
- Pre-pay will last through 2359 hours on May 17th, 2020.
- If some buyers don't pay by the Phase 2 deadline, I will possibly (a) kick in the difference or (b) shut down the GB and refund your money via PP by May 20th, 2020.
- Once you pay, you're locked in until (a) you receive your head (b) the GB shuts down or (c) you trade your spot.

Phase 3 – LED ordering/Manufacturing:

- Once I have the LED's in hand the order will be placed with Gene
- I will post an update once the LED's have been ordered and have shipping confirmation.
- We wait ? During this time, I will check in with Gene and post updates in the comments.
- This phase ends when Gene ships the drop-ins to me.
- This on average takes 3-4 weeks.

Phase 4 – Shipping to you:

- This phase starts when I receive the package from Gene.
- Assuming we make it this far, you will have 2 weeks to pay exact shipping costs, via Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, PLUS an equal share of the bulk shipping cost of all the drop-ins from Gene to me. I will calculate the individual shipping costs later, and post details on how to pay. You will pay this via PayPal.
- I will PM you the tracking number after I ship. Shipping is CONUS only unless otherwise arranged. International shipments will be via Priority Flat Rate box to ensure proper padding and protection.
- I will provide an option for insurance, if you want to pay extra for this. Please make note of this during the shipping payment period via PM.
- Not really sure what to do if you pay for the drop-in, but don't follow up with the shipping cost. I guess I will hang onto it for another 30 days before I can dispose of it as I wish. Doubt we will have this problem.
- Once I ship to you and provide a tracking number, I'm out of the loop. I'm not responsible for lost or delayed items once USPS is in possession of your drop-in. If you're worried about this, I will provide an option for USPS insurance.

FAQs:

(1) What is a Malkoff M91B N? What exactly am I purchasing?

From the Malkoff Web-site.

This is the Malkoff Devices P90 style High Output Drop-in LED Upgrade Conversion with solid brass heatsink construction. The output is approximately 1100 measured out the front lumens at turn on and 950 continuous. The current draw is approximately 1400ma at 9 volts. The full output runtime is approximately 30-45 minutes on three CR123 primary batteries with a nice long taper as voltage drops. It will easily illuminate objects at 200+ feet and will blind opponents within a 100 foot radius. The LED is a Neutral White (5000K) Cree XP-L. CRI goal is hopefully 80.

This design utilizes a custom orange peel reflector designed by Don McLeish. The reflector offers a very nice balance between throw and spill. It is an outstanding room lighter and short to medium spotter. It was designed specifically for use in the Malkoff MDX-16.5 Head with the Malkoff MD3 and MD4 Bodies and Surefire 9P, Z3, and C3 Flashlights. It may or may not fit other models. The input voltage is 5.5 - 12 volts. Below 5.5 volts it will drop out of regulation. Below 5 volts it will begin to flash and below 4.5 volts it will shut off. This dropin is protected against reverse polarity.

This GB is for the Drop In only.

(2) Can I change my mind and back out?

During Phase 1, yes.

After you pay in Phase 2, no. You're locked in, unless we shut down. These times are unprecedented. I will work with everyone in whatever reasonable capacity to resolve all issues as they arise.

(3) Can I trade my spot?

During Phase 1, no need. Just post that you want to be removed from the list.

If/when we go into Phase 2 and beyond, it depends. If you haven't paid, post that you want out. If we have anyone in spots 26 and up, they will have the option to buy in your place, in ascending order. If you've already paid me, then the person (in spot 26 and up) taking your place will pay you directly, per your private arrangements. If this happens, both people will need to post publicly in the comments that they've worked it out satisfactorily and that Person B is taking Person A's spot. Again, if you've already paid, your only way out is to get someone from the backup list to pay you for your spot.

(3) What tint and emitter?

-5000K XP-L V6 3D from MTN Electronics.

(4) Minimum order quantity?

20. If we don't get 20 to sign up or pay, the GB will shut down.

If we get more than 20, I will do my best to include the additional spots in the order. So if you want one, sign up now! I try to get everything rolling once I have everyone who has currently signed up paid. My priority at which point is to get the committed members their product, not to allow later entries.

(5) How long will it take?

According to Gene, depending on production time, somewhere between x weeks after Gene has received the LED's. Not x weeks from when you pay. General turnaround for my Group Buys thus far is around 5-7 weeks from the end of Phase 1. This is not a promise or guarantee.

(6) How much profit are you making on this group buy?

For this group buy I have no plans of making money. The generosity of many members here has been truly exceptional so far been extremely appreciated in terms of time compensation. This is by no means an expectation of anyone, however for now this system works and I'm willing to run with it regardless of any "chances" taken, for lack of a better word. That's just my thoughts, in the interests of full disclosure.

All money sent to me/ my Paypal stays in my Paypal until I send it as payment to Gene.

(7) What if I'm dissatisfied with the final product?

You would contact Gene, not me. Once I ship you the drop-in, I'm out of the loop (make sure you understand the shipping terms).

Thanks to the following CPF'ers.
lion504: for letting me use his GB format.
GreatScoot: for letting me basically copy his M91BN group-buy!

-Special thanks to Gene for putting up with us crazy CPF'ers and indulging our whims.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L Group Buy!

M91N (5000K).

1. id30209
  2. BigBaller
  3. Grizzman
  4. Grizzman
  5. Not So Bright
  6. NutSAK
  7. marco.weiss
  8. Mister S
  9. Scout24
  10. thermal guy
  11. dotCPF
  12. double_r76
  13. kowlick
  14. StagMoose
  15. marco.weiss
  16. Marc55
  17. WhiskeyLight
  18. nmiller
  19. Jhay
  20. TheGreatBamReno
  21. dotCPF
  22. JHay
  23. knucklegary
  24. Marc55
  25. RenegadeThreads
  26. reserved

***If you see your name on this list, you do not have to re-submit your interest. If you would like any further changes, simply comment such (more or less etc....)

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it a m91b or a m61? The description talks about both drop ins

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this Group Buy (XPL 5000k) an extension of first back in July 2019, using same emitter?

Do you have specs (Bin?) from last M91BN Group Buy

Thx..

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not directly, GS has linked me the emitters in the past and if they are available I will use them. I need to dig all that up, more LED information will be posted this weekend or early next week so I can do some more research.

Kowlick

Newly Enlightened
Re: The Official Malkoff M91B N 5000K XP-L v2 Group Buy!

I'm in for 1.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I'm more of if my light works when I need it I'm good kind of guy. Talking about tint and color and crap really is not important to me. BUT my 5000K M91 is the exception to that for me. It's absolutely fantastic and compared to my standard M91 there really is no comparison. It stomps it in color and the way it makes things look.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm more of if my light works when I need it I'm good kind of guy. Talking about tint and color and crap really is not important to me. BUT my 5000K M91 is the exception to that for me. It's absolutely fantastic and compared to my standard M91 there really is no comparison. It stomps it in color and the way it makes things look.

I think the 80 CRI makes a big difference here. I'm going to do my best to find that emitter, if not a similar one.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the 80 CRI makes a big difference here. I'm going to do my best to find that emitter, if not a similar one.

We all could put some effort in finding it. There's gota be some 80-90CRI left somwhere.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

We all could put some effort in finding it. There's gota be some 80-90CRI left somwhere.

80 CRI is very hard to find. However, I think another serious contender is the XP-L HI v6 if people would be willing to entertain it. Tints are incredibly good, and it has extremely high output and efficiency. There are HD versions as well. Definitely need to dig deeper myself, I would definitely welcome any submissions.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

With folks talking about the emitter used in the prior BN run, for whatever reason it was an unusually good match to its reflector. A rather concentrated hotspot for the M91, and a complete absence of rings - unlike previous M91 generations. Hard to improve on perfect. :)

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast

With folks talking about the emitter used in the prior BN run, for whatever reason it was an unusually good match to its reflector. A rather concentrated hotspot for the M91, and a complete absence of rings - unlike previous M91 generations. Hard to improve on perfect. :)

I have found the rings issue to be more related to the 16.5 head, when I put my Nichia Ms in a SureFire host, the rings disappear.

It was indeed a very nice combination of decent hotspot intensity but also wiiiiiide and semi-floody. Given the output, it does almost seem to be refined in and of itself.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was in on last GB #8 module.. Installed in 22.3 head with hi/lo, MD4 2x18650.. The tint and beam rocks. Rings are not an issue.. and like Krestel said it's hard to improve on perfection

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast

How are we doing on the emitter specs? I'd strongly consider committing to an improved cri version of some type...

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gene just released new Wildcats with only XPL emitters. Cool version 5700K and HI CRI 4000K. He might have some info about other options availability...

ledbetter

Enlightened

IF needed to reach the minimum 20, I would be in for one, especially IF the emitter's the same as the last group buy which I was lucky enough to pick up on CPF afterwards. I know it's a lot of IFs, but it's my favorite module and I love that it runs on single cells but I don't really need another. But when was that ever a deterrent with anyone on this site, right??

Kestrel

Flashaholic

A reasonably wide discussion here; as this is an official GB thread, I would suggest narrowing the topic down to that. Thanks in advance,