TAD vs GoRuck

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be the wrong place for this thread but it's about backpacks? Please move to the correct place if I am in the wrong spot . Thank you

Does anyone own a bag from one or possibly both of these companies that can comment on their durability/comfort/organization on a day to day basis , I'm not looking to bring it to war just for everyday use.

I've carried (still currently) a 5.11 rush 12 backpack for close to 8 years . It's had the life beat out of it and honestly it could go another 8 years if I needed it too, but I've been paying a lot of attention to other everyday carry items and leaving my daily pack on the back burner. Mainly because it's a really good bag and it served me so well, but I'm looking to broaden my horizon and I've been eyeing

1. Triple aught design fast pack lite speed

2. GoRuck Gr1

Both seem to be tough as nails according to reviews but I'd like to hear first world experiences not a review on the web.

How's the organization for everyday use? The gr1 doesn't seem to have much just one big dump pocket and two inner smaller zippered pockets, the lite speed seems to have more . I'm not looking to be super tactical looking or Tom cruise or anything colors would either be black or grey , possibly black multicam if the tad were available.

Are these bags comfortable when heavy? I don't carry "a ton" of stuff but sometimes it could get heavy with my laptop , tablets, chargers, batteries external battery charger etc . I don't carry it far or long mostly short brief walks to and from the car.

I don't plan on adding any additional pouches or gear on the outside of the bag whatsoever and if I were to grab the litespeed more of the straps would either come off or be rolled up. I don't want a lot hanging or dangling on my bag .

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as I am not set on these two they were just some I ran across that seemed really nice . Price isn't an option but I'm not spending a grand on a bag. My 511 cost me 100$ .

Thanks

Wicky

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had both...here is my review on the GR1: https://youtu.be/JGlUURFFbc4

Someone asked me a similar question in the comments, and this was my response:

Hey, I've owned a TAD Litespeed as well, and have looked at the Fastpack albeit briefly. Quality-wise they're pretty comparable. It's mostly going to be about the look you're going for; the Fastpack has a more tacticool look. That said, accessories integrate a lot better on TAD's stuff and they have more options (when they're in-stock). GR1 is probably a better deal right now, especially if you have Earned Service Discount, as TAD rarely runs sales on their packs.

The Litespeed is better under load IMHO because the straps are much comfier. I suggest purchasing some clips to hold the extra straps in place, particularly on the Litespeed.

Personally, I ended up sticking with the GR1. I really enjoy the simplicity, and the laptop compartment was what cinched it for me. So much more convenient that running a sleeve inside the Litespeed. So if you use/carry a laptop frequently -> GR1 is probably most apt.

Edit: I should mention I've also had a Rush 12 and 24. Both the TAD and GORUCK are superior build wise. I thought the 5.11 bags were a bit too tacticool for my liking.

Last edited:

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
I don't have experience with the TAD bag but I have had a GR0 (21L) for 5+ years. I like the simplicity and durability; it is my go-to bag for short trips involving flights or carrying equipment for, say, a day at the range. It is great for travel because you can open it wide and pack things carefully, and when I lived near a trail I would strap a full ammo can to the interior for weighted hiking exercise. It is not as comfortable as a backpack with waist straps, but I think it is about as comfortable as you can get carrying 20 or 30lbs directly on your back.

If you are carrying lots of doodads and don't see yourself hiking or traveling with it, I would not recommend the GR1. I am not even sure I would keep it if I had to choose one bag, although it would be on the short list.
For every day use, I found I like Tom Bihn bags (Synapse 19 and Daylight briefcase) because they are lighter, still very durable, have better (slightly more complicated) organization, and look less tactical.

I think it is totally ok to buy whichever bag stands out to you and try it out for a little while. I went through a number of bags (goruck, mystery ranch, kelty, Patagonia, etc) and sold them at a loss when I didn't like them; I thought of it as a renters fee. I ended up with a relatively small collection of bags that I like.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's how I ended up with my rush 12, I have some other backpacks but I kept going back to the 511.

I love the feel of Cordura , it feels tough , and I beat the snot out of my rush and I really want it to have cordura, also ykk zippers .

I've looked at mystery ranch and camelbak and a few other brand name bags but end up with this two in my browser. I may have to do like you said and just try both out , if anything I'll have two good bags ...

StagMoose

Enlightened
I have some Gorucks and TAD EDC. I had a Litespeed but recently sold it.

They are both excellent quality. I like them equally for different things. The TAD is more for every day carrying my stuff around. It has the flashlight caves and I've put an extra zipper pouch on the outside under the tail. It is easier to keep a bit more organized for edc and also adapt. I like the term I'm straps and easy ability to put on rudimentary webbing as a wait belt that can be carried in the pack.

The GR I have a 1, 2(40) and a 3. I don't use the 1 much. I use the 2 and 3 for traveling. For weekends I'll take the 2 and my TAD. For longer I'll take the GR 2 and 3.

The GR bags are a bit less tactical looking with less molle.

Both are superb. I'm 6'1" and if I could only have 1 it would be the GR2 40l. With packing cubes and organization pouches it is pretty hard to beat. It doesn't have a great pen/ edc organization system like the YAD but that can be added with extra pouches on the inside if necessary.

I've killed a lot of packs but these two brands don't die.

Another look would be hill people gear Aston house. I've had both versions. They weren't for me but they are excellent bags. Their tarahumara is a great day pack.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

rearmount

Newly Enlightened
I've owned and sold about 30+ bags and packs over the years, I might have a problem haha. But my every day, general purpose bag, is a GR1. It's simple, quick to open, and provides just enough organization spots. If I need to organize more, I can throw in a Greyman Tac rigid panel with pouches on it to prevent a pouch soup at the bottom. It's also pretty non-descript and doesn't look like you're about to go assault a building or something. Plus, I find the community pretty small, so if you see someone with a Goruck pack, chances are they're in a similar mindset as you and are easy to talk to lol.

However, while I feel it may be the best for EDC, I would steer you towards packs with an actual suspension system if you want to hike, like Hill People Gear packs. I've done a few Goruck events and yeah, you suffer through the events with sore shoulders with packs that don't have a real waist belt, but there are better packs for the job.

ledbetter

Enlightened
I have owned goruck since they began in Montana, and except for the weight of the bag which is now a problem for carry on, they are the best for edc. And they're cool. Also, since you're going back to school, they're laptop area is the best. And they hold their value. I've bought and sold all their models and never lost a dime. They also ride high and don't feel bulky or stick out even when full.The only other brand I would consider because it's less money is recycled firefighter. Never owned but look solid and good reviews. Get a gr1 and you're done.

Last edited:

Malifice

Newly Enlightened
This may be the wrong place for this thread but it's about backpacks? Please move to the correct place if I am in the wrong spot . Thank you

Does anyone own a bag from one or possibly both of these companies that can comment on their durability/comfort/organization on a day to day basis , I'm not looking to bring it to war just for everyday use.

I've carried (still currently) a 5.11 rush 12 backpack for close to 8 years . It's had the life beat out of it and honestly it could go another 8 years if I needed it too, but I've been paying a lot of attention to other everyday carry items and leaving my daily pack on the back burner. Mainly because it's a really good bag and it served me so well, but I'm looking to broaden my horizon and I've been eyeing

1. Triple aught design fast pack lite speed

2. GoRuck Gr1

Both seem to be tough as nails according to reviews but I'd like to hear first world experiences not a review on the web.

How's the organization for everyday use? The gr1 doesn't seem to have much just one big dump pocket and two inner smaller zippered pockets, the lite speed seems to have more . I'm not looking to be super tactical looking or Tom cruise or anything colors would either be black or grey , possibly black multicam if the tad were available.

Are these bags comfortable when heavy? I don't carry "a ton" of stuff but sometimes it could get heavy with my laptop , tablets, chargers, batteries external battery charger etc . I don't carry it far or long mostly short brief walks to and from the car.

I don't plan on adding any additional pouches or gear on the outside of the bag whatsoever and if I were to grab the litespeed more of the straps would either come off or be rolled up. I don't want a lot hanging or dangling on my bag .

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as I am not set on these two they were just some I ran across that seemed really nice . Price isn't an option but I'm not spending a grand on a bag. My 511 cost me 100$ .

Thanks

Wicky

I own both the TAD Fastpack EDC (new gen) and the GORUCK GR2 (USA) 34L.

I much prefer the TAD pack (it's much more comfortable to wear, and more practical to use as an EDC) over the GORUCK (the GORUCK has a bigger capacity - bigger than its 34L would suggest, but is not on the same league for comfort).

The TAD pack is much easier to expand out. You can lash things to the top via the paracord pulls, to the sides via the compression straps, to the front via the transporter tail beavertail and to the bottom via the provided webbing loops.

My TAD pack is usually fitted out for 'backpacker RTW travel in and out of hostels' etc, so it's usually pretty full (2 x pants, 2 x shorts, 5 x T shirts, jacket, hoodie, rain coat, flip flops, toiletries, tablet, charger, waterbottle, pack cover etc). That said, when I want to head off on a hike I can easily take it with me by hiring gear and lashing a tent to the bottom webbing loops, stuffing a sleeping bag into the transporter tail, and lashing a sleeping pad to the compression straps, or through the paracord pulls on the top.

I've also used it with my own hiking and camping gear and it works a treat.

While the TAD pack is in Coyote (other colours were sold out), I mounted a 'sterile' transporter tail (the beaver tail without the MOLLE) on the TAD pack which tones down the 'tacti-cool' vibe of the pack. I also mounted a Vanquest Hydra water bottle holder, and a few MOLLE pouches to it (to hold tech gear etc).

I can just fit everything I need for 4 seasons RTW indefinite travel in the TAD pack (plus a 6L Helikon Tex sling bag, also in coyote). I do pack pretty minimalist though.

You can fit a lot more in the GORUCK (and the internal organisation is much better), but it's nowhere near as comfortable to wear, and is much bigger and bulkier (and not suitable for a day pack).

I'm thinking about doing a review video of both packs side by side.

Any questions, feel free to ask.