What good remote pressure switch tail caps?

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
I want a remote switch and tailcap for some of my malkoff lights. I think they are also called tape switch or pressure pad. Any one have a suggestion on a good one? The main purpose will to be to have a side switch near the head on my MD6 HoundDog Super.

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What good remote switch tail caps?

Are you referring to a tape switch? Pressure pad?

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
I think this one will work. I just bought it and will report back if it works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7Z2HSL/?tag=cpf0b6-20

pressure_switch.png

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the mastiff, I have it on a md2 and it's pretty good.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great idea Martin! Now I just need an HDS to try it on.....

Very curious about that switch you ordered, I also like the look of constant & momentary. I was going to recommend one of the older style SF remote switches, for like the "660" weapon lights. I thought those were all analogous to the 6P type tailswitch.

MartinDWhite

Enlightened

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. Fish 14, thanks for the feedback on the mastiff. I'd be wondering if there is a pro grade switch out there these days which works on surefire c bodies...

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
This switch does not work on the Malkoff bodies. It is threaded 24 tpi and the Malkoff bodies are 20 tpi.

I am going to take it apart and make new parts that are threaded correctly so it works with the Malkoff bodies.

Wish me luck.....
mastiff Fits on my md2

rearmount

Newly Enlightened
Interesting thread. Fish 14, thanks for the feedback on the mastiff. I'd be wondering if there is a pro grade switch out there these days which works on surefire c bodies...

The XM series of tailcaps from Surefire should work on the C bodies if you want "pro grade". I have a XM07 on a Surefire 660 weaponlight, which is basically a 6P on steroids.

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
I was able to modify a Malkoff tail cap to accept the remote switch I bought above and make it work. It was not trivial. It required a lathe, 7/8x20 tap, and some scrap aluminum......and now it works.

rearmount

Newly Enlightened
I was able to modify a Malkoff tail cap to accept the remote switch I bought above and make it work. It was not trivial. It required a lathe, 7/8x20 tap, and some scrap aluminum......and now it works.
I'm constantly impressed with the ingenuity and handiness of members here. Mind throwing up some pictures? Would love to see how you made it happen!

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
I'm constantly impressed with the ingenuity and handiness of members here. Mind throwing up some pictures? Would love to see how you made it happen!

The Feyachi tailcap is held together from the battery side with a retaining ring (like the dropins on the Malkoffs). Once that ring was unscrewed the insides all fell out and it was pretty easy to see the parts. The brass cap covers the spring and is retained by the plastic cup which is held in by the threaded ring pressing everything against a lip on the end of the tail cap.

IMG_20200507_112330779.png

I took a Malkoff tail capremoved the boot/switch, and bored the switch end down to the existing lip. I then tapped it 7/8-24 (same as the Malkoff tail cap threads. This left the same lip in the middle of the tailcap that the switch and body both rest against when assembled. I made a small retaining ring threaded 7/8-24 with a center hole that matched the black plastic piece on the tail switch (where the cord comes out), and a small spacing washer to position the circuit board correctly. Then I put it all together. It is assembled backwards in the Malkoff switch from the way it was assembled from the factory. My setup uses the ring to compress the black plastic to the circuit board to the lip in the Malkoff tailcap. So here is the completed MD6 with Hound Dog Super and remote tail cap switch. Total machining time was about 30 minutes...once I figured out how I wanted to do it.

The switch still needs to be attached to the body. I am super happy with the out come. Do you like it?

IMG_20200508_095752307.png

FYI....I am on the look out for a SureFire XM05 or XM07 if anyone has one that want to send/sell/give me. ;-)

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
Here is a picture of the tailcaps before I modified the Malkoff one. There is a definite quality difference....the Malkoff is way thicker and stronger.

IMG_20200507_113744305.png