What is your best experience upgrading a Maglite 2D-4D or 2C-4C with an LED drop in?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of getting an LED drop-in for a Maglite 4D of mine and I was wondering what your best experience is with these drop-in modules? I see a million of them out there and on ebay. I'm looking for something in the 3000K-4000K color temperature range (preferably 3400K-3600K). I also would prefer it to be single mode and over 1,000 Lumens. I just want a drop-in that will fit in the standard PR base and is of good quality. Want something simple, bright, and of good light quality with a decent CRI.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm thrilled with my Malkoff unit in a 3D. If you don't mind cool white it's a great upgrade.

Some really go for the Adventure Sports upgrade.

Honestly, I cannot reccomend anything from those eBay modules.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite 2D-4D or 2C-4C with an LED drop in.

As much as using best available drop in is important, also using best host is important such as single 26650 bored out cut down M*g 1C / 1D or 2x26650 bored out cut down M*g 3C /3D
Much smaller size, less weight, easy to carry, good capacity and rechargeable.
:thumbsup:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thrilled with my Malkoff unit in a 3D. If you don't mind cool white it's a great upgrade.

Some really go for the Adventure Sports upgrade.

Honestly, I cannot reccomend anything from those eBay modules.

I did try a Malkoff awhile ago in a 4D. I just can't handle the cool white. And it requires reflector modification. I'm looking for a good warm white high CRI drop in that goes into the PR base.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as using best available drop in is important, also using best host is important such as single 26650 bored out cut down M*g 1C / 1D or 2x26650 bored out cut down M*g 3C /3D
Much smaller size, less weight, easy to carry, good capacity and rechargeable.
:thumbsup:

At this time I'm looking for something that is C/D compatible, not willing to branch into 26650 at this point. Just want something that gives good decent quality output in a standard C or D Maglite host. It's also very important to me most of the time to be able to use rechargeable and primary batteries in the same flashlight.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this time I'm looking for something that is C/D compatible, not willing to branch into 26650 at this point. Just want something that gives good decent quality output in a standard C or D Maglite host. It's also very important to me most of the time to be able to use rechargeable and primary batteries in the same flashlight.

I use 3D printed adapters to run 21700's and 18650's in 2 or 3 C cell Mags and 26650's in 2 or 3 D cell Mags. Since there is no need to modify the lights in any way, they can still run on alkaline or NiMH cells.

STZe0rx.jpg

V3tLWPr.jpg

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, new to the forums.

Currently on the hunt for a sub 5000k bulb for my first maglite build.
Definitely curious to see if anyone has found such a drop in yet. I had read many, many old threads over the past few days and it seems like there weren't really any choices. That and most of the links don't work anymore in the old threads haha.

Anyway, in to get bulb ideas. :candle:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just looking for a quality high cri, 3500K or so color temp drop-in that fits in the PR base.

Doesn't have to be super bright either. But I'm looking for all options in that range, if there are any.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had good luck with these in several of my lights. Nothing fancy or expensive but they do the trick!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078MCNXRL/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Make sure you select the warm white option at Checkout. If I can I'll grab some beam shots but they look very similar to an incan light.They only put out about 60-80 lumens but the runtime and durability is excellent. Keep in mind they are a buck driver so they'll only work with 3+ cells. I wish I could find ones with a boost driver to run a 2 cell light but I don't think anyone makes them.

When paired with a glass lens and OP reflector the beam on these old Mags is just as good as any modern day light. I "sputtered" some stock Mag reflectors myself instead of buying he $10 KAI domain ones.

I've built a few of my own multi mode drop ins that can be run with just about any LED but they are a bunch of work. I have a 2D with one of these with a 10%-30%-100% mode and warm Cree LED good for about 600 lumens max. Here's some more info if you wan to attempt it:

http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2019/01/ultimate-maglite-restomod.html

EDIT: Forgot to mention on one of my orders on the Ruiandsion drop ins they sent me cool white. I messaged them and they resent he Warm White ones and let me keep he cool white so if you get them and they don't look warm shoot them a message.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, interesting. What is the current draw on those with 3 or 4 alkaline cells? I think you got the boost and buck backwards. Thanks for the link and info. I don't mind a lower output version as the PR base does not provide for very much heat sink ability. :twothumbs

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooops, yes, I did mix them up. Thanks!!

I'll have to take a look on the current draw when I get home. It likely isn't much because they're not very bright. 200mA maybe???? They are the only good option I've found for a warm drop in that doesn't involve building one yourself. The ones I built are great but at $65 in just parts they're not really cost effective.