Large Harley Recall

bigcozy

Enlightened
Harley Davidson announced a recall for about 76,000+ bikes, will probably be more. Entire electrical system shuts down. All of the Fuel Injected models are affected, bikes are shutting down while on the road and locking the rear wheel. If you want the press release PM me.

Soapbox:

As a lifelong HD owner, HD better get more interested in building bikes than T shirts. Every fuelie that I have been around has had massive problems. A young guy that is a friend of mine, a firefighter, saved up every dime he had and bought a Electra Glide Standard. He even sold his new truck and bought a beater to afford the bike. In the first five months the bike was returned to have work done eight times. He sold it and bought a Honda VTX1800, and couldn't be happier. Cool doesn't amount to jack if it strands you 300 miles from home in the rain. As for me, I have a old Evo that I rebuilt myself, but I wouldn't buy a new one. There are too many good bikes out there, and life is too short.

M

MeridianTactical

This could suck!!! I can't imagine it locking the rear wheel... I have shut off the bike like an idiot going for the blinker with gloves on, with nothing more harm than lots of laughs.

Fist off I do have a 03' Soft tail with Fuel Injection... So I can say this ;-) For the Money a HD is WAY overpriced and is WAY behind most evey other bike in technology!!!!

So, why did I buy one? I guess because I could and most of my friends have them...

But I have had great luck with it and I know many other HD riders that have not had any real problems...

I will say whan the V-Rod came out all the HD purists hated it. So there is a lot of presure to keep it old school...

Anyway, this could still suck even if it just shuts off...

bigcozy

Enlightened
The local dealer was telling me that on the fuelies when the electricals shut down, it naturally cuts the fuel pump off and kills the engine. I guess it depends on the gear you are in, but a low gear would "grab" the rear wheel. I think it has shredded some belts too.

My gripe with Harley is that while they produce a very good bike with a lot of attention to detail, they still produce a hit or miss engine. I really like the twin cam, but it has problems. The V-Rod was to get the Harley faithful prepared for next generation of engines that can meet sound and emissions specs. The problem with Harley is they let themselves sell an image more than a product, as long as that is cool it will work. I remember the shovel head years, those that don't probably won't understand.

tater_salad

Newly Enlightened
Harleys are well known to be overpriced and problematic. Why anybody would get one is beyond me. Looks/sound aren't everything.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot of it is down to the fact that they're not the same as every other bike on the road. I admit that it's a slightly different situation, but one that's the impression I got from the few people I know with them.

Same reason that I drive a Lada I guess.

(I could afford a "better" car, but do I really want to drive a characterless box, of which I see 500 clones of every day? Nope. My car's as much an individual as I am).