• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Haiku Advice

TiRider22

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased and used numerous EDC lights over the years from well known commercial manufacturers but would like to venture into the custom light arena. Trying to do my homework but I'm an admitted novice with respect to components/parts (emitter, converter, reflector etc.) I've read enough to know that my first custom purchase will be a McGizmo Haiku but beyond that I'm unsure. I would like a build with more beam throw than flood and a neutral or cool white tint preferably powered by 1x123 cell for pocket carry. The light will be used primarily in an urban setting. Most of my prior purchases were high lumens but again I'm not sure. Is this do-able. Thanks.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
TiRider22,

Welcome aboard!

The Haiku is an excellent choice. I received my first one over ten years ago, and it has been with me every single day since. My favorite light for sure.

The Haiku will meet with your specifications completely so once you decide the color Temp. of your LED, you will be good to go. These lights have the best design, best clip, best Switch, best levels and the best reflectors. You Can't go wrong.

Let us know what you get, and how you like it. I'm sure others here will give you great advice, and you should talk with Don, he is wonderful to deal with.

Good luck,

Best,

RedLED

TiRider22

Newly Enlightened
Your words are reassuring that my homework paid off. Owning a light for ten years is impressive. I'm not sure I've owned anything that long, much less a work light. I wasn't sure if I should ask Don for advice but I will based on your suggestion. Do I send it to his email address he uses for orders or reach out to him through a thread? I don't want to bother him unnecessarily. Can I ask the build of your Haiku? That might help. I will certainly let you know what I purchased. Thanks for welcoming a novice.

Best,
TiRider22

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
TiRider22,

My Haiku is the standard issue three speed LE, and has a XPG-R5 (Cool) LED. I use it all the time, and I still have the original McClicky Switch in it. I maintain it well, keeping all contacts clean, and threads and O-Rings greased.

It is my favorite for sure. I Don't think Don would mind you E-Mailing him, he is a very good businessman.

Best,

RedLED

TiRider22

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for the advice. It's cool to be able to ride the "coat tails" of much more knowledgeable collectors. The only problem is the more photo's I see (thanks greatscoot) the more lights I want to purchase. Thinking about buying 2 (Mule & Haiku) now. You guys and ladies are dangerous to hang out with. :) Will a 2x123 powered light still fit in a front pocket comfortably?

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you both for the advice. It's cool to be able to ride the "coat tails" of much more knowledgeable collectors. The only problem is the more photo's I see (thanks greatscoot) the more lights I want to purchase. Thinking about buying 2 (Mule & Haiku) now. You guys and ladies are dangerous to hang out with. :) Will a 2x123 powered light still fit in a front pocket comfortably?

One of my favorite setups is Don's 2x123 body with a Sundrop (between mule and Haiku) head. It rides very comfortably in my back pocket.

b9rjiAp.jpg

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rider,

The 2 X 123 may be a little big for EDC, however the single 123 pack is great with Haiku, mule or sundrop heads. Also, you should get one with the etched clip, they are very nice.

If you get a couple of these you will be set for life. From time to time, I think about selling my other lights, and just keeping my McGiz lights.

Rider, this is my McGizmo collection:

Haiku XPG-R5 3S
Haiku Red LED 3S
Haiuk XML 3S with 4 6mm trit vials glued surrounding the emitter
Sun Drop Red LED 3S
Mule 219B 3S
Makai on a 2 X AA Pack 3S
VME Head with a Malkoff M31 drop in
Sapphire
Ti PD-XR 19

Looking forward to learning what you decide on. Later we can go over spare parts and tools to keep your lights going. I like having spare parts so if I need something I Don't have to wait and am able to keep the lights in service.

All the best,

RedLED

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arch,

That's right it is very modular. Don't forget about spare parts, a stripped clip screw would drive me crazy if I did not stock a few backups. Do you keep any parts on hand?

In addition to being modular, you can field strip these lights in just a minute. I like things that are user serviceable. Plus, it is always nice to keep them serviced and always ready to go.

Also, I bought the hex driver for the screws from the Cat in LA who makes them, MIP, and it is a wonderful tool.

Nice collection, by the way!

Last edited:

rearmount

Newly Enlightened
Later we can go over spare parts and tools to keep your lights going. I like having spare parts so if I need something I Don't have to wait and am able to keep the lights in service.

Hopefully ya'll won't mind me jumping on the train here-- I'm soaking all this up as well. I'm looking at picking up my first McGizmo and would be interested to hear what you would recommend in terms of spare parts and tools. From doing some reading, it looks like the MIP 1/16" Hex is the tool to use for those clip screws?

Thanks in advance!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rearmount,

I think the MIP is a must for any serious McGizmo owner, and the other tool I'd say you should have is the switch wrench from Prometheus.

I have a spare clip, clip screws, O-rings, switch boots, and a spare switch. Plus spare batteries, both protected rechargeable, and primary. Also, any additional LE's you may have.

And for polishing the finish the 3M maroon, gray, and white Scotch Brite Pads, some metal polish, and microfiber cloths to keep them looking new.

The last thing is to get a very nice box or case to store your lights, and parts in. These lights deserve a nice home.

Also, any beads not attached should go in your McGiz kit box/case, and Don't for get to use the label maker on your boxes.

That should do it.

Best,

RL

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rearmount,

To expand on the MIP hex driver, it is a very precise tool made to strict tolerances. I used to hate hex heads on motorcycles because they stripped so easy, however, even the high quality mechanic grade are not as well made as you think.

Using a wratchet is putting an unequal load, and helps to strip the head. You need a very precise bit and a T-handle. The MIP being a driver is centered, and is so well made it actually snaps in place. It would be hard to damage the hex using this tool.

Well worth the the price - around $15.00 or something?

Hope this Info. helps.

Best,

RedLED

TiRider22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Red. I spoke with Don as you suggested and he was great about the advice. I ordered yesterday. Got the Haiku XLM2-HIVE-1x123 and Mahi-HIVE-XP-L(HI) cool white 1x123.
Got the cracked ice clips on both.

Based on Don's advice I decided against the 2x123 for now as I plan to pocket carry both and the extra length of the Mahi was concerning. Will probably re-visit a 2x123 build later. Don recommended using protected RCR123 batteries like the Fenix ARB-L16-700 16340. Any thoughts on power cells. Not very versed in this. Let me know. Don built both lights today.

TiRider22

Newly Enlightened
greatscoot,
Nice photo. I decided against the 2x123 for now but will revisit later. I was concerned about length in my front pocket so I went with two 1x123 builds based on Don's suggestion. Will advise when they arrive. Your Sundrop is very nice. I'm very tempted but need to wait for now. Thanks for the pic.