Is maglite modding still a thing?

jross20

Newly Enlightened
I feel like I'm ultra late to the party... Just discovered the modding world of flashlights and got the idea to make some cool maglite mods, but I realized that just about all of the information, links, sites, etc., are all very old at this point...

Are folks not modding mags anymore?

My two current projects:

-2D Maglite (Incan)-
Converting to two 26650 cells, adding an aluminum reflector from Australia and also adding an asphrical lens. Ordered a 3D printed tube and s short spring. I wasn't sure what LED drop in to get so I took a chance and ordered one on Amazon.
I really don't want 6500k, I'd like something around 3500-4500k but that doesn't seem to exist. I want to keep the cam part to be able to use the aluminum reflector I ordered so I think that makes it a bit harder.

-AA MiniMag (Incan)-
Got 3 different types of clicky switches, some from sandwich shoppe and some from amazon. Going to try them all out and I wanted some spares since I felt like these things made not be around forever. Really want to covert to LED and a single 14500 lithium cell, but I cannot find any drop in's that can handle 3.7-4.2 volts. I'm curious of trying the crazy custom mods but I've never done that before and I'm nervous lol.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag mods are definitely still a thing. Yes, they are somewhat old at this point, but you can still have fun working on a classic incan Mag.

-2D: Instead of using a drop-in, you could use a Mag heatsink with the LED of your choice on a copper DTP MCPCB. Add a converter that can handle the 8.4V, and you are set. You will need to modify the stock switch to improve the current handling capabilities. There are a lot of tutorials on CPF that show how to do this.

-AA: Look for the older OFC heatsinks that accept a 14mm converter. You mount the LED on the pedestal and wire the converter. Installation is as simple as dropping the assembly into the tube and tightening the threaded retainer (after removing the stock Mag bi-pin switch). It has good heatsinking and has the potential to be a powerhouse with a 14500 cell.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read jayrob's threads on his builds. He has several different ones and he is still currently making them. I have several of his lights and they're quite impressive.

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Hey man thanks for the reply. I'm glad to see there is still activity!

The items you suggested sound interesting and fun, do you know where these parts can be purchased still? I had a lot of trouble finding any links or sites that we're still up.

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Read jayrob's threads on his builds. He has several different ones and he is still currently making them. I have several of his lights and they're quite impressive.

Hey there, sorry I did not see your reply when I replied to dati. I presume jayrob is a member here? I will do some searching.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hobbies are fun and a good learning experience no matter when you start in.

I gained a lot of insight building my first "light" on a scrap of plywood. Used a brass bolt as the heat spreader for the LED.

A local friend (that I met through CPF) helped me mod an old AA mag and we have been friends ever since. That was > 15 years ago.

Like every other hobby, it is a cash sink, not a profit center, even when you want it to be.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there, sorry I did not see your reply when I replied to dati. I presume jayrob is a member here? I will do some searching.

Search no further. Fivemega is also top shelf in the mag biz. I have a few of his parts in my lights also and he canmake a hotrod out of any mag

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys, what do you think for the first build?
I am excited to see what else I can do. Tentatively I'm thinking about getting a red 2D and maybe trying a more "super" led mod. I definitely want to get a mini mag running with a single 14500.

E97pfHN.jpg

jeVJjrv.jpg

ZdKGewb.jpg

devryd

Newly Enlightened
What emitter did you use?
How is the beam?
I have a few 2D Maglites, that could use a led too.

jross20

Newly Enlightened
Nothing fancy, just a nite izee bulb. Or whatever their brand is. I did order one from adventure, it came in today so I will test it tonight.

So far she only draws 170 milliamps...haha.

I'm thinking on my 2nd 2D that I would want to try to make one of the fancy builds. For this one I want to keep the cam on the reflector.

jerrykco

Newly Enlightened
I was heavily into the flashlight modding scene 15 years and 4 kids ago, and I just happened to open a box with a dozen Maglites in different states of modification and all kinds of parts. I found OP and smooth polished aluminum reflectors, a set of Carley Lamps (anyone else remember these for the hot rod mods?!), and tons of battery adapters (3AA to D, 8 AA to 2D, and 3x123 to 2D). I haven't modded anything in a while, but my youngest son just asked me about flashlights and showed him how to light up an old Luxeon 1W with a 3W lithium AA. My regular home flashlight is a 2D Mag with an Philips MR16 in the head driven by 8 AA lithium batteries in a 2D adapter.

Does anyone in the community still make the battery adapters?