• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Logan 17500

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well after years on my list I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a SS keychain body 17500. As expected it really is a great little light. Solid built and dam thing will run on practically any cell I can find. Perfect light for traveling when you might have a concern about what cells will be available. A VERY nice member gave me a fantastic clip that I'm thinking I can have mounted on this but will require putting some drilling and tapping but looks like theres plenty of meat at the top of this thing. And it will definitely be unique. In short I REALLY like this light.

5E7A8469-22D5-41F1-8082-1BB3B059D3A5.jpg

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
Very nice. They certainly are quite a handful of steel. Are you going to try a 17500 in it?
Currently using a eneloop pro AA.
aBqKWFQl.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks arch.

Yes I'm currently looking for the size " length" I need

All the new protected ones are 52 mm. Might be to long

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard much about 17500s in awhile . I think the last person was maybe dot? I could be mistaken

But that light is really really nice TG , awesome grab!

That clip would be an insane mod!

You planning on doing the tapping yourself?

If not it should fit a zebra perfectly !

If I wasn't pushing you enough to pick one up

StagMoose

Enlightened
My SS Logan 17500 came today. I really like the ability to run all kinds of cells in it with the adapters. I do have a question though: It is very finicky, as in it flutters on about every level except about full output. I pulled the QTC pill and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I didn't disassemble the pill yet as I didn't want to break it yet and i couldn't see specifically how it could be done gently. I have seen other pictures on here of them, and i my just be a little over cautious at this point. I do like the light quite a bit. It is heavier and a bit larger than expected, but i am used to the eigers, which i also really like. They too are a little fiddly, but they don't flicker once they are in a set position. This Logan flickers unless the QTC is about fully compressed. I tried different battery/ adapter arrangements, tried with the press switch and the keychain, all the same; flickering. Any ideas? I guess i need to pull the pill apart, anyone have advice on doing that? This bad boy is big enough for a clip.. shouldn't have dragged my feet on that.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My QTC works good on all levels On my 17500 Logan's but from what I understand they can flicker and get funky some times. I'm afraid it's hit and miss with them. I have another Logan regular body and that one absolutely doesn't like the QTC at all.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I don't see any corrosion on anything. Looks pretty freshly milled.

Arch have you been able to disassemble the QTC pill, and if so, have any pointers?

Robyn has been helpful replacing another head for me and I would rather not bug her again if it is something that I can remedy.

Thanks in advance.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you take the QTC pill out and just use it as a single mode light does it work without flicker? If so, then it might be something in the pill, seems to me.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I still suggest thoroughly cleaning the threads and all other contact surfaces, and then re-lubricating the threads

It could also be a bit of metal swarf floating around somewhere.

There are a couple of threads around here on the QTC assembly, but I don't have the time at the moment to link them up. A quick search should turn them up for you, however.

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
Most of my Peaks are more finicky with lithium ion batteries than any other type.

Vemice

Enlightened
If you take the QTC pill out and just use it as a single mode light does it work without flicker? If so, then it might be something in the pill, seems to me.

Often wanted to try that but wouldn't you need a spacer? I have a pill without QTC and use that.

nbp

Flashaholic
Not sure. It's quite thin and compresses anyways to do its QTC thing. I suppose if needed you could fold up a little alu foil square to put between the battery and head as a spacer.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes it's the QTC that is making your light flicker. I took mine out because of this reason and the light works fine. But as others have said you will have a fitting problem with the battery. I had to use a small washer to take up space.

dk21291

Newly Enlightened
Not sure. It's quite thin and compresses anyways to do its QTC thing. I suppose if needed you could fold up a little alu foil square to put between the battery and head as a spacer.

I would caution against a spacer at the head. If it were to shift it could possibly bridge the body and the positive terminal, creating a short. This could kill a tamer cell, and be quite dangerous in a lithium ion. I would strongly​ advise placing any spacers with the negative end of the battery, for safety.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think that @nbp was discussing use of the above spacer briefly and cautiously for troubleshooting purposes, but your point is well taken.

I agree that all spacers intended for regular or routine use should be properly electrically isolated.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I should of also said in my post that my washer was insulated..010 thick aluminum oxide coating on the OD.😁

nbp

Flashaholic
I think that @nbp was discussing use of the above spacer briefly and cautiously for troubleshooting purposes, but your point is well taken.

I agree that all spacers intended for regular or routine use should be properly electrically isolated.

Correct. We're just trying to isolate the point of issue with his light.