HDS Systems        

Thread: Logan 17500

Default Logan 17500

Well after years on my list I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a SS keychain body 17500. As expected it really is a great little light. Solid built and dam thing will run on practically any cell I can find. Perfect light for traveling when you might have a concern about what cells will be available. A VERY nice member gave me a fantastic clip that Iím thinking I can have mounted on this but will require putting some drilling and tapping but looks like theres plenty of meat at the top of this thing. And it will definitely be unique. In short I REALLY like this light.

Last edited by thermal guy; 05-08-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Default Re: Logan 17500

Very nice. They certainly are quite a handful of steel. Are you going to try a 17500 in it?
    Currently using a eneloop pro AA.

Hey tg, cool clip
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thanks arch.

Yes Iím currently looking for the size ď lengthĒ I need

All the new protected ones are 52 mm. Might be to long
    Last edited by thermal guy; 05-08-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Default Logan 17500

I havenít heard much about 17500s in awhile . I think the last person was maybe dot? I could be mistaken

But that light is really really nice TG , awesome grab!

That clip would be an insane mod!

You planning on doing the tapping yourself?

If not it should fit a zebra perfectly !

If I wasnít pushing you enough to pick one up
    ..Isaiah 54:17...

My SS Logan 17500 came today. I really like the ability to run all kinds of cells in it with the adapters. I do have a question though: It is very finicky, as in it flutters on about every level except about full output. I pulled the QTC pill and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I didn't disassemble the pill yet as I didn't want to break it yet and i couldn't see specifically how it could be done gently. I have seen other pictures on here of them, and i my just be a little over cautious at this point. I do like the light quite a bit. It is heavier and a bit larger than expected, but i am used to the eigers, which i also really like. They too are a little fiddly, but they don't flicker once they are in a set position. This Logan flickers unless the QTC is about fully compressed. I tried different battery/ adapter arrangements, tried with the press switch and the keychain, all the same; flickering. Any ideas? I guess i need to pull the pill apart, anyone have advice on doing that? This bad boy is big enough for a clip.. shouldn't have dragged my feet on that.

You probably have either some corrosion on the threads and/or a tiny loose piece of debris inside the QTC "pill"

My QTC works good on all levels On my 17500 Loganís but from what I understand they can flicker and get funky some times. Iím afraid itís hit and miss with them. I have another Logan regular body and that one absolutely doesnít like the QTC at all.

I donít see any corrosion on anything. Looks pretty freshly milled.

Arch have you been able to disassemble the QTC pill, and if so, have any pointers?

Robyn has been helpful replacing another head for me and I would rather not bug her again if it is something that I can remedy.

Thanks in advance.

If you take the QTC pill out and just use it as a single mode light does it work without flicker? If so, then it might be something in the pill, seems to me.

I still suggest thoroughly cleaning the threads and all other contact surfaces, and then re-lubricating the threads

It could also be a bit of metal swarf floating around somewhere.

There are a couple of threads around here on the QTC assembly, but I don't have the time at the moment to link them up. A quick search should turn them up for you, however.
    Last edited by archimedes; 06-20-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Most of my Peaks are more finicky with lithium ion batteries than any other type.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    If you take the QTC pill out and just use it as a single mode light does it work without flicker? If so, then it might be something in the pill, seems to me.
    Often wanted to try that but wouldn't you need a spacer? I have a pill without QTC and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    Often wanted to try that but wouldn't you need a spacer? I have a pill without QTC and use that.
    Yes.

Depending on the precise length of your battery, it may possibly activate with the momentary switch alone.

Not sure. Itís quite thin and compresses anyways to do its QTC thing. I suppose if needed you could fold up a little alu foil square to put between the battery and head as a spacer.

Yes itís the QTC that is making your light flicker. I took mine out because of this reason and the light works fine. But as others have said you will have a fitting problem with the battery. I had to use a small washer to take up space.

Not sure. Itís quite thin and compresses anyways to do its QTC thing. I suppose if needed you could fold up a little alu foil square to put between the battery and head as a spacer.
    I would caution against a spacer at the head. If it were to shift it could possibly bridge the body and the positive terminal, creating a short. This could kill a tamer cell, and be quite dangerous in a lithium ion. I would strongly​ advise placing any spacers with the negative end of the battery, for safety.

I think that @nbp was discussing use of the above spacer briefly and cautiously for troubleshooting purposes, but your point is well taken.

I agree that all spacers intended for regular or routine use should be properly electrically isolated.

Yes I should of also said in my post that my washer was insulated..010 thick aluminum oxide coating on the OD.😁

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I think that @nbp was discussing use of the above spacer briefly and cautiously for troubleshooting purposes, but your point is well taken.

I agree that all spacers intended for regular or routine use should be properly electrically isolated.
    Correct. Weíre just trying to isolate the point of issue with his light.

Correct. Weíre just trying to isolate the point of issue with his light.
    Of course, I had little doubt you didnít know. I just wanted to make sure anyone who may see this thread in the future doesnít mistake that for a viable long-term option

Good point Iím not as cautious as most on here with some stuff but Iíve have seen Some people do some really stupid stuff at work. Like running a 18650/16340 together in a 3 cell light😂 when I saw it and asked him about it he said ďbeen doing that for awhile nowĒ. Canít fix stupid 😁

When I received it I thoroughly cleaned and lubed it as I do with about anything metal I purchase. It is certainly the QTC pill as I did use a washer for a spacer (on the negative terminal) and it worked fine.

Pretty sure Iíve narrowed it down to the QTC. It is just flickers unless fully compressed basically. I pulled the pill and started trying to take it apart, seems like a delrin sandwich with a piece of QTC in it. Just unsure if it unthreads or is press fit. Either way, I had trouble getting it apart on the first try. I will mess with it again tonight. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have a lot of tools. Iím also a bit disappointed in it flickering so much.

I have read all (I think) of the threads regarding this but didnít find anything relating to getting the pill apart. Iíve seen pills apart but it wasnít clear if they went back together.

I had also read how the QTC is smoother with the larger lights so itís a little annoyance. Worst case it will end up a single mode and Iíll ask for a new pill eventually.

If I get it apart I will update the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by StagMoose View Post
    My SS Logan 17500 came today. I really like the ability to run all kinds of cells in it with the adapters. I do have a question though: It is very finicky, as in it flutters on about every level except about full output. I pulled the QTC pill and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I didn't disassemble the pill yet as I didn't want to break it yet and i couldn't see specifically how it could be done gently. I have seen other pictures on here of them, and i my just be a little over cautious at this point. I do like the light quite a bit. It is heavier and a bit larger than expected, but i am used to the eigers, which i also really like. They too are a little fiddly, but they don't flicker once they are in a set position. This Logan flickers unless the QTC is about fully compressed. I tried different battery/ adapter arrangements, tried with the press switch and the keychain, all the same; flickering. Any ideas? I guess i need to pull the pill apart, anyone have advice on doing that? This bad boy is big enough for a clip.. shouldn't have dragged my feet on that.

Do these 17500s come with different battery tubes, or do you need to order each of them separately?

Many thanks!
    - JI

Itís just a spacer set that works in the battery tube you already have. You get them all in one set. Itís really worth it as you can literally run A ton of cells in her.

The CR123A Logan tube is compatible too.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    The CR123A Logan tube is compatible too.
    Is this a separate tube you buy? Compatible with what cells? Their website leaves a bit to be desired, or it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIslander View Post
    Is this a separate tube you buy? Compatible with what cells? Their website leaves a bit to be desired, or it's just me.
    Yes, available separately or as a complete light.

The Logan CR123A tube is compatible with 16340 cells. And probably CR123A, I imagine

The 17500 head on a cr123 tube makes a very small pocket powerhouse.But I like the 17500 body better. Itís easier To use and the availability to run sooo many different cells really makes it A true SHTF light. I love mine.

Last edited by thermal guy; 06-20-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Messed with mine quite a bit tonight. The pill isnít coming apart. It looks like it may be snapped together but I canít get it to pop apart if that is the case.

I turned the wrench side contact enough that if it was threaded it would have come apart. The opposite side didnít even want to spin so I doubt that it is threaded. It may just be pressed together. I did clean the entire thing very well again. It didnít help but running the pill between the CR123 spacer ( on the negative end) and a CR123s on the positive end made a very slight improvement.

Gonna just stash this away into some kit for an emergency. Iíll include a washer as a negative contact. I was hoping to get a little more use out of it, but I have enough alternatives that it isnít worth any more headache. It seems well suited to being available for an emergency as it does provide light with a number of cells.

I will also email Robyn as we have been in contact a bit and get her take on it. I will say that she has provided excellent customer service to me recently, and has been responsive to emails within a couple days.

Still love the Peaks.