Imalent LD70 4000 lumen keychain

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
1_66b8b35c-ee80-4dd0-9399-e0976e73c6f7_600x_crop_center.jpg

13_8e40187d-71ae-4d3a-941a-d5de49561ae6_600x_crop_center.jpg

https://www.imalentstore.com/products/imalent-ld70-4000-lumen-flashlight

Have you guys seen this beast yet? They took the strongest Cree XHP 70.2 and dumped it into their smallest keychain flashlight that pushes 4k lumens on turbo. My LD10 on 1200 lumens already gets pretty hot. This thing has its own second layer shielding with cooling fins! 1 minute on turbo as well! XD battery looks to be sealed again though :( 10 years later and we will see 100k lumens on Keychain lights!

Looks to be coming soon! Only videos I could find of it!
https://youtu.be/iMW9fgQvk9E

https://youtu.be/vw5tGaBnt80

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Something's off here. It's listed as 81 mm in length. No way is that right if them pictures are correct. Look how big it looks? No way are you putting that on a keychain.

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
Something's off here. It's listed as 81 mm in length. No way is that right if them pictures are correct. Look how big it looks? No way are you putting that on a keychain.

It should be about right. My LD10 is around that length and it's a lipstick size. It's not as small as those olight I1R, but it's around the same size as my car fob key!

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It should be about right. My LD10 is around that length and it's a lipstick size. It's not as small as those olight I1R, but it's around the same size as my car fob key!

I've got a LD01 that's just a hair over 3" (76mm) long so it seems plausible. 25mm diameter will make it a bit awkward for keychain usage.

I imagine that the turbo ramp-down is ... swift.

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
I've got a LD01 that's just a hair over 3" (76mm) long so it seems plausible. 25mm diameter will make it a bit awkward for keychain usage.

I imagine that the turbo ramp-down is ... swift.

Yah, it looks like they actually used the same shell body but they put some shielding on. Still it'll be quite a feat to have something so small pushing 4k

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
What battery is powering that thing? It's sure going to have a short life!

It's an 1100mah 18350. The one in the older model which I have is a 850mah 18350 and it does seem to last what it says on the spec sheet. I would rather they made it less waterproof and have the battery replacable. Not going to lie, I secretly hope Thrunite responds to this in kind :)

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is currently the worlds smallest 4000 lumen flashlight, then I am interested. I am going to wait to see photos of this flashlight next to common ordinary household objects, so I can get an idea of what size it is.

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
If this is currently the worlds smallest 4000 lumen flashlight, then I am interested. I am going to wait to see photos of this flashlight next to common ordinary household objects, so I can get an idea of what size it is.

Yeah, I hope it will be available for order soon. 1 minute run time on turbo 4k with step down to 900 lumens after is already better than the lumitop FW1A Pro which uses a bigger battery! That thing steps down hard from 3500 lumens down to 500 lumens after 30 seconds on the XHP 50.2. Supposed to be a BLF and fan design which was king of power for its small size. This one would definitely take the crown for smallest and brightest. Imalent already makes the brightest large flashlights, now they're going to dominate the smallest too! If I get my hands on one I'll post pics!

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Built-in multi-function OLED display, can display various parameters
and settings.
USB magnetic charging function, easy to get power.

Interesting!

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
Built-in multi-function OLED display, can display various parameters
and settings.
USB magnetic charging function, easy to get power.

Interesting!

Yes, all their flashlights now have the OLED display. It's not the greatest real time display of voltage, but having a number is better than just relying on colors! I still wish they would make the battery swappable

Connor

Enlightened
There is absolutely no way this tiny light can sustain 4000 Lumens for 10 seconds let alone a minute.

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
There is absolutely no way this tiny light can sustain 4000 Lumens for 10 seconds let alone a minute.

I know right? Feels like it will step down from the heat much faster than that. As it stands and if it can, it's more powerful than the FW1A Pro which is impressive. I contacted Thrunite the other night and their customer service told me that there are no plans for putting the XHP 70.2 into the T1 or even their EDC :( I'm still waiting on their very short lived TT10 that had the XHP 50.2 bulb, but was killed off due to QC issues. I prefer Thrunite flashlights as the batteries are all removable and you can choose Natural White bulbs. Not really a big fan on the 6500K, but hey, even if this thing can't do 4k Lumens for 10 seconds, I'm sure it can do 2k lumens for a minute which to me is still paving the way towards innovation!

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
Finally got it today! Here's some quick pics of the actual light and a quickie video I took:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S8Kn7Zyc28BgAgnu5

My impressions so far is that it's absolutely the brightest keychain light in the world at the moment. It's a little larger than their LD10 and you lose most of the throw but man does this flood. I have an 11000 Lumen flashlight from Thrunite that runs on 3 XHB 70.2 LED's and somehow Imalent crammed one of those LED onto this tiny thing. The extra heat shielding allows for the heat to dissipate out a little bit otherwise you would roast your hand in no time. It does seem to run turbo for a full minute, but the battery indicator will hate you and think it's already empty when really it's just a massive voltage drop. In my video, it goes from 0, 20, 200, 900, 2000, and 4000 lumens on turbo. I wish they would have just included ramping or have a 500 lumen setting for this price. The older LD10 takes the cake home in this department as anything below 200 is useless, 900 seems excessive for some conditions. Overall, this light will live on my keys as a goto light when I wished I had my larger EDC. It's not everyday that I'm going to be carrying my 18650 lights but I'll always have my keys. Not going to lie, it's going to be tough to find a replacement EDC to beat this keychain light. I was considering the FW1A Pro, but that thing on turbo only lasts 15 seconds before taking a steep step down. I wish it included a keychain attachment and also a removable battery. Other than that, it's a nice one to add to the collection.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Why is this called/labeled a keychain light? That thing is huge! You ain't putting that on a keychain. EDC sure but not keychain.

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
The first proper review is out!
The standard has been raised very high. Those FW1A Pro overheat after 15 seconds and can't keep up with this output wise. I think the shielding really helps with the heat syncing. 18650 and 21700 flashlights are going to have to have to beat this thing at least runtime wise. It's very stable
at a "medium" 900 lumens and 4k can last 60 seconds which is crazy.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Imalent LD70 arrived. Here are my first impressions:

(1) Output - This light is very bright. I don't have an integrating sphere, but comparing to other lights I think output really does look to be close to 4000 lumens. Well done! I haven't tried a runtime or temperature test so can't comment on the runtime or heatsinking.

(2) Beam pattern - almost complete flood. Floodier than many of the small quads and triples around. This makes the light great for up close. On turbo you can light up a whole street. But this light does not throw, so if you need a long distance light this is not a good choice.

(3) Tint - cool white as expected. Not greenish, which is good.

(4) Size - this is not a keychain light. This is really more of an EDC-size. It's similar in size to a Jetbeam RRT-01, and just a bit smaller than an FW3A (about the same width, but shorter). It's definitely not the smallest 18350 light around. Others like the Thrunite T1 or FW3A/Emisar D4 with 18350 body tube are much smaller.

(5) Hand feel - very unusual high-tech looking shape. Feels decent in the hands, but the grip is a bit slippery due to lack of knurling. On the upside, if used as a bedside light, the squarish shape means it won't roll around. The light tailstands.

(6) Interface - click for on/off. Click and hold from on to cycle modes. Double-click at any point for turbo. Triple-click for voltage. Quad-click for lockout. The UI is fine except the lowest mode is only 20 lumens. In my opinion, an EDC light like this should have a moonlight or at least a very low mode of 2 lumens or less. This doesn't have that. Interface is very much like Olight except for the lack of any shortcut to the lowest mode. It would be good if they add that and a moonlight mode in the future (best option would be long-press from off activates lowest mode).

(7) Switch - The button has a fairly soft-touch. This is not a good thing in EDC lights like this since it means a high likelihood of the button accidentally turning on in the pocket. This makes using the electronic lockout is mandatory, which I don't like, since it means you can't just whip the light out of your pocket and get instant light. A stiffer switch would have been better in my opinion.

(8) Oled Display - very cool feture. The display is crisp and clear. Nice to have the voltage and output readout. My only criticism about the display is it is very small and if you're like me and need reading glasses, there's a good chance you won't be able to read the display without them. I would prefer a larger display.

(9) Charging - cable attaches easily and seems to work well. the cable contains a strong magnet. The contacts in the light contain a weaker magnet.

(10) Modding potential - It's not obvious how or even if this light can be disassembled. Modding it to swap to a neutral emitter or replace the battery might not be possible.

Pros
+ Unique look and feel
+ Oled display is well done, if a bit small
+ Impressive output
+ Tailstands
+ Anti-roll
+ Available in different body colors
+ Shortcut to Turbo

Cons
- Built-in battery
- Magnet in tail of light means you probably should not store it in same pocket as your credit cards.
- Use of electronic lockout is mandatory due to soft-touch switch
- No moonlight or very low mode.
- No shortcut to lowest mode.
- No pocket clip
- Marketed as a keychain light when it is clearly in a different size-class. This is an EDC light, not a keychain light. It comes with a lanyard. It does not come with a keychain or keychain attachment in the box.
- Does not appear easy to mod

Last edited:

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
My Imalent LD70 arrived. Here are my first impressions:

(1) Output - This light is very bright. I don't have an integrating sphere, but comparing to other lights I think output really does look to be close to 4000 lumens. Well done! I haven't tried a runtime or temperature test so can't comment on the runtime or heatsinking.

(2) Beam pattern - almost complete flood. Floodier than many of the small quads and triples around. This makes the light great for up close. On turbo you can light up a whole street. But this light does not throw, so if you need a long distance light this is not a good choice.

(3) Tint - cool white as expected. Not greenish, which is good.

(4) Size - this is not a keychain light. This is really more of an EDC-size. It's similar in size to a Jetbeam RRT-01, and just a bit smaller than an FW3A (about the same width, but shorter). It's definitely not the smallest 18350 light around. Others like the Thrunite T1 or FW3A/Emisar D4 with 18350 body tube are much smaller.

(5) Hand feel - very unusual high-tech looking shape. Feels decent in the hands, but the grip is a bit slippery due to lack of knurling. On the upside, if used as a bedside light, the squarish shape means it won't roll around. The light tailstands.

(6) Interface - click for on/off. Click and hold from on to cycle modes. Double-click at any point for turbo. Triple-click for voltage. Quad-click for lockout. The UI is fine except the lowest mode is only 20 lumens. In my opinion, an EDC light like this should have a moonlight or at least a very low mode of 2 lumens or less. This doesn't have that. Interface is very much like Olight except for the lack of any shortcut to the lowest mode. It would be good if they add that and a moonlight mode in the future (best option would be long-press from off activates lowest mode).

(7) Switch - The button has a fairly soft-touch. This is not a good thing in EDC lights like this since it means a high likelihood of the button accidentally turning on in the pocket. This makes using the electronic lockout is mandatory, which I don't like, since it means you can't just whip the light out of your pocket and get instant light. A stiffer switch would have been better in my opinion.

(8) Oled Display - very cool feture. The display is crisp and clear. Nice to have the voltage and output readout. My only criticism about the display is it is very small and if you're like me and need reading glasses, there's a good chance you won't be able to read the display without them. I would prefer a larger display.

(9) Charging - cable attaches easily and seems to work well. the cable contains a strong magnet. The contacts in the light contain a weaker magnet.

(10) Modding potential - It's not obvious how or even if this light can be disassembled. Modding it to swap to a neutral emitter or replace the battery might not be possible.

Pros
+ Unique look and feel
+ Oled display is well done, if a bit small
+ Impressive output
+ Tailstands
+ Anti-roll
+ Available in different body colors
+ Shortcut to Turbo

Cons
- Built-in battery
- Magnet in tail of light means you probably should not store it in same pocket as your credit cards.
- Use of electronic lockout is mandatory due to soft-touch switch
- No moonlight or very low mode.
- No shortcut to lowest mode.
- No pocket clip
- Marketed as a keychain light when it is clearly in a different size-class. This is an EDC light, not a keychain light. It comes with a lanyard. It does not come with a keychain or keychain attachment in the box.
- Does not appear easy to mod

Awesome thoughts on the light and I agree! I managed to attach it to my keys and it would be too big for most to consider it as a keychain. I already have a bunch of clunky car fobs, beer bottle openers, knife and heavy keys. It kind of works for me and the sheer power this thing puts out is worth the carry! I had the LD10 briefly and that thing was only a little smaller but not even close to being as impressive as this!

I'm now undecided what to buy as a larger longer running 18650/21700 torch. I feel as if this tiny monster has set the bar so high that my new expectations are making most flashlights look a little dim. No pun intended! 4k lumens for at least a minute seems to be the new standard for 2020 and anything less feels like it needs to do better.

Last edited: