Soldering irons?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, really wasn't sure which forum would be best for this post but since they are electronic here we are...

Any suggestions for a decent (but not break-the-bank awesome) soldering iron? I have been using the same 40 or 45 watt radio shack pencil style iron for almost a decade now and its getting a bit long in the tooth. Actually, this is being prompted because the tip is in need of replacing and it looks like most tip sets run as much as a basic pencil iron anyways. So far this wattage has done everything I've asked it to do (except solder stainless bike cables) so I'm not sure if I really need anything nicer and might just look for a replacement tip. Thoughts?

blankc72

Newly Enlightened
Weller WES 51. Temperature controlled, simple, and reliable. They cost around $120 or so.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Well, really wasn't sure which forum would be best for this post but since they are electronic here we are...

Any suggestions for a decent (but not break-the-bank awesome) soldering iron? I have been using the same 40 or 45 watt radio shack pencil style iron for almost a decade now and its getting a bit long in the tooth. Actually, this is being prompted because the tip is in need of replacing and it looks like most tip sets run as much as a basic pencil iron anyways. So far this wattage has done everything I've asked it to do (except solder stainless bike cables) so I'm not sure if I really need anything nicer and might just look for a replacement tip. Thoughts?
As much as I would like a regulated iron my old Ungar with replaceable tips and elements is still working after 40+ years I replaced the copper plated tip once though. If your iron worked well for you and you aren't using it heavily I would just replace the tip if you can get one cheap enough. I don't think they make Ungar irons any more I think Weller bought them out. I've heard a lot of people like the Hakko regulated soldering stations out there.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! My Archer (Radio Shack) pencil was old (in need of a new power cord) when I acquired it 40 years ago. I did a lot with it. It still gets dragged out now and then, even though I bought a very nice used Metcal (now OKI) PS-800 on eBay about 10 years ago, and inherited a like-new Weller gun that could be older than my Archer (there's some power!)

I just checked eBay, and it looks like there's nothing but junk there now.

I'm going to guess that spending $120 on a soldering iron is not on your to-do list. That's probably going to limit you to a couple of options:
1. Search for a good used temperature controlled iron. Pace, Weller, Hakko, Metcal, and OKI are all good brands. Metcal/OKI tips tend to be expensive, but worth it if you use it a lot.
2. A new cheap-*** pencil. eBay is full of them.
3. A new better-than-cheap-*** pencil.

I suspect number 3 is the option you are looking for.

Regardless of what I think, post some more details of what you are looking for so we can be more helpful.

LedTed

Enlightened
Though my practical training is from the Pace school of soldering, based on a decade of both hobby and professional use, I'm going to recommend the Weller WLC100. It can be purchased anywhere from $30 to $50. And, has a variety of tips available for various uses. I've used mine on everything from large through hole bridge rectifiers to fine pitch surface mount components. You may also want to get yourself some various thickness of fresh solder and fresh liquid flux.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yes! My Archer (Radio Shack) pencil was old (in need of a new power cord) when I acquired it 40 years ago. I did a lot with it. It still gets dragged out now and then, even though I bought a very nice used Metcal (now OKI) PS-800 on eBay about 10 years ago, and inherited a like-new Weller gun that could be older than my Archer (there's some power!)

I just checked eBay, and it looks like there's nothing but junk there now.

I'm going to guess that spending $120 on a soldering iron is not on your to-do list. That's probably going to limit you to a couple of options:
1. Search for a good used temperature controlled iron. Pace, Weller, Hakko, Metcal, and OKI are all good brands. Metcal/OKI tips tend to be expensive, but worth it if you use it a lot.
2. A new cheap-*** pencil. eBay is full of them.
3. A new better-than-cheap-*** pencil.

I suspect number 3 is the option you are looking for.

Regardless of what I think, post some more details of what you are looking for so we can be more helpful.

Your Radio shack iron may be a rebadged Ungar iron as I just remembered I have a Radio Shack handle that the Ungar heating elements screw into.

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
Weller 100 Watt temperature regulated iron

comes with 3/8 inch diameter iron plated tip

Fast enough to solder on the ends of battery cells without hurting their functionality (much)

with practice on scrap ones

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may find this one interesting: http://www.miniware.com.cn/product/ts100-soldering-iron-b2-tip-hot-air-soldering-station/. And it features replaceable tips. It is available on Amazon for some $68 right now.

I do find this one interesting. I've been looking at the TS80 and TS100, thinking that if I had to buy an iron today, the TS100 might be it.

The limiting factor might be the tip selection. I like a sharp chisel tip. It almost doesn't matter the width, as long as it is a sharp chisel. I use the corner to do fine pitch stuff, the width to do bigger stuff. I have 1/16", 1/8" (my default), and something like 1/4", but might be 6mm. I find fine conical points that are intended for fine pitch parts just don't conduct heat well enough. I have one, and use it if I have to, but that's pretty rare.

I also haven't checked pricing on tips for the TS100. Does buying all 4 available tips blow the budget?

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
I also haven't checked pricing on tips for the TS100. Does buying all 4 available tips blow the budget?
Weller CT6 series, 700° F, Screwdriver or Chisel Tip

CT6F7, 3/8" = 0.375" = 9.525mm
usually included

CT6E7, 1/4"
CT6D7, 3/16" 4.75mm
CT6C7, 1/8"

flexylol

Newly Enlightened
I recently got the YIHUA 908 from ali, it was like €17 including a stand and replacement tips.

There are two variations: The normal 908+, with analog temp adjustment, and the 908D, which has a digital display and actual, real temperature sensor/adjustment. (I bought the analogue 908 in error, but it's still a decent soldering iron).

The thing is: What is more important for a good soldering job is that you use quality (lead based 60/40 solder). I had a hell of a time soldering with lead-free "China solder" that came with some irons, that is I couldn't even do the simplest of soldering jobs, like soldering two wires together, and the tip wouldn't take solder. I even tossed a brand-new iron in the garbage out of frustration. (I am NOT new to soldering, at all). But getting quality 60/40 solder (Weller, Felder, or in my case Cynel) changed everything. Even with my el-cheapo alie-xpress solder.

Of course, feel free to spend god money on a Weller, Hakko etc. soldering iron....but I am telling you, good solder is more important. With poor China solder, even a $200 Hakko won't do you anything good.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do find this one interesting. I've been looking at the TS80 and TS100, thinking that if I had to buy an iron today, the TS100 might be it.

The limiting factor might be the tip selection. I like a sharp chisel tip. It almost doesn't matter the width, as long as it is a sharp chisel. I use the corner to do fine pitch stuff, the width to do bigger stuff. I have 1/16", 1/8" (my default), and something like 1/4", but might be 6mm. I find fine conical points that are intended for fine pitch parts just don't conduct heat well enough. I have one, and use it if I have to, but that's pretty rare.

T100 has huge selection of tips. They are 7.15€ on Aliexpress now. When I have purchased mine they were 5€. I dare to guess that the price going up means that T100 is a success.

Kind of these:
BDF1-B0-E6-9-A7-F-4-F72-A751-151-CC92-F0223.jpg

7-BD8-EE0-D-A1-E9-48-B5-BEDA-1819-D0-E05539.jpg

Last edited: