Why Should I Buy an HDS?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question seems to come up frequently so I thought it might be helpful to compile a few testimonials into one thread that way in the future we can just link people here.

My hope is that this will be a convenient resource for people to read through, so please try to limit back and forth discussion. There are plenty of other threads where debates can be had should you so desire, but let's keep this one fairly tidy.

Please take some time and share your thoughts! :thumbsup:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I went for a nice casual stroll on a local bike trail, the last 5 or so miles of which was in darkness. It reminded me just how excellent my HDS is as a walking light and how much I enjoy its unique features.

When pointed ahead the hotspot was almost the full width of the trail, with the spill lighting up the woods on either sides. An excellent balanced beam. The path goes through varying levels of light pollution but I could gradually increase and decrease the brightness using the rotary control so that I always had the right amount of light without any jarring transitions. When I heard something moving off in the brush it was easy to hold down the switch for momentary max to peer off and investigate, then release to go back to my original output. Usually it was just a couple deer but I did spot one beaver. If I saw someone else ahead I could quickly turn the brightness down a bit to not be obnoxious as we passed. I also really appreciated how the high CRI emitter made all of the spring colors pop. When I stopped to look at some flowers I think I was half admiring their natural beauty and half admiring how well their colors were represented under the 4000K Nichia. As I was nearing home the brightness dropped a level, giving me a friendly reminder that my battery was running low. I had a spare cell in my pocket but I was close enough that I opted to simply turn the light down a couple levels and keep walking.

Yes, none of these features are truly necessary and I would have been totally fine with any of a number of other lights, many of which are less expensive than the HDS, but none would have put a smile on my face in the same way.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I press the button on one end of my HDS, light comes out of the other end - every time, no matter what. I know this is going to happen and I depend upon it.
I know there's other lights out there that do the same thing, but when I drop my HDS, I just pick it up and put it back into my pocket without checking if it works, as I know it works.
That's why you should buy one.
P

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI is my favorite. At the minimum, press the tailswitch and turn the rotary dial for the amount of light needed for the task.
A bit more advanced, you have 3 other presets available and at the levels you program.

The beam as mentioned above is a great mix of spot and spill. I'm a big fan of big hotspots (like a triple with frosted optics) but for my everyday use, this became my favorite. It might be because of the reflector but this light holds its own or even better with regards to useful brightness, than many of my other lights. Yes, some might be brighter for 30 seconds but again this is better for everyday use.

Size wise, this is bigger than many other single CR123 lights but I find this to be the perfect size for me to hold. Any smaller and I tend to use them for spare battery holders.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I press the button on one end of my HDS, light comes out of the other end - every time, no matter what. I know this is going to happen and I depend upon it.
I know there's other lights out there that do the same thing, but when I drop my HDS, I just pick it up and put it back into my pocket without checking if it works, as I know it works.
P

ABSOLUTELY THIS!! HDS is first and foremost a tool. Sure does put you in a bind if you're out in the middle of wilderness or on the side of a highway at night with a flat and you're fiddling around with your light trying to make it work.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

corroded-copy-2.jpg

img-0985-copy.jpg

20180306-130907-copy.jpg

20180306-130857-copy.jpg

p1017104-2-copy.jpg

img-7489-copy.jpg

img-7486-copy.jpg

Sos24

Enlightened
P

I absolutely love the UI and think it is the best out there for me. I also like the customization options that allow me to set my preferences. But without the reliability mentioned above it isn't worth that much.

I never set out to deliberately torture test a light, but sometimes it just happens. My edc HDS has endure bouncing on concrete after about a 10ft fall, getting soaked by saltwater, buying used and falling in snow in below freezing temperatures, etc. It has some cosmetic damage but still works great.

Some will say it isn't worth it when you can buy "X" number of another less reliable light for the same price, so if the light falls you just get a new one. That is fine if you aren't relying on the light at that exact minute or can carry multiple, but frequently you need a light when you need it and may not have the option to be carrying 2-3 ok lights instead of one reliable light.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why... because you want to burn through that stimulus money before the wife does. Kidding. If you like the tech and want a cool little light and your ok with the price why not.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
From user Burntrubber87 on the "Show your beat up light" thread. Post 404 and 407

030ab620b60d29c187dd09d3ba45dc57.jpg

cdf24d6c9aff0de89e44abb0d69c9b15.jpg

"I bought it used about 3 years ago. been in my pocket since and i'm a mechanic. I've been a transmission installer at a local independent repair shop for about two, the light has been through everyday of work with me. being in the northeast..the rust and dirt, grime etc on some vehicles is beyond your worst nightmare..its nice having something that works..every time you push the button..broke the enormous clip it had, and two novatac clips..lives in my tool cart most days.."

-Burntrubber87

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
(1) UI/configurability. Ability to move from a mode to any other mode directly, rather than cycling through all modes.

(2] Emitter choices and beam quality. No angry blue here. Emitter chosen carefully and company provides the specs on what you're buying.

(3) Reliability, as others have pointed out.

wweiss

Enlightened
All of the above are true and accurate descriptions.

However, it would be nice to have a programmable option for a, say 675L burst. I keep wishing for a bit more light from time to time, but it may be because I use mine outdoors primarily.

ven

Flashaholic
Because if you sit it on a stone, it looks good! Its possibly tougher than the stone to
8yJIYfdl.jpg

8wI9Hxul.jpg

Form , size, feel in hand is possibly my fav. Its one of those lights i struggle to put down. Always fondling and rotating the tail cap. The ability to dial up and down on the fly never grows old. As P said, it just works:)

Last edited:

GAReed

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking under the bed for monsters, lighting up the closet, way to the bathroom at O-Dark-30, you don't need a HDS flashlight. Any old torch will do. If your life depends on it.. you might want to seriously consider a HDS flashlight. You get one chance to choose right.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking under the bed for monsters, lighting up the closet, way to the bathroom at O-Dark-30, you don't need a HDS flashlight. Any old torch will do. If your life depends on it.. you might want to seriously consider a HDS flashlight. You get one chance to choose right.

Any light can fail, no guarantees. My HDS failed me under a very serious circumstance...it can happen.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened

10+ years pocket carry surefire exec, 10 years Jetbeam rotary in pocket, wanted new lights, wanted rugged.

tried the following
Klarus st30 doa summer 17

zebra sc32 battery indicator broken And bad cust service,
Armytek Barracuda doa nov 17

HDS Jan 2019. Now I own 6, including the best uv for epoxy and night critters, and A great Variety of emitters for day or night.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the Kool kids have an HDS and are on CPF is the main reason. [emoji41]

The interface is as easy or complex to use as you want. The beam is great for personal space up to 100 yards. I love the press and hold burst mode. Rotary is my favorite.