Did I break my copper?

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I have a copper i5T and when I got it I buried it in some baking soda paste. It got a pretty dark patina that didn't stick around long, and since then it doesn't seem to be getting a patina on its own. This picture is after I've owned since it was released maybe 2 months ago. Did I mess something up by sticking it in the baking soda?

SnGAvpn.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well baking soda removes tarnish from copper so think you did the opposite of what you were going for. Not sure maybe you have a protective coat on it now. Just play with it instead of trying to accelerate the Patina. It's more realistic and The patina actually means something. Just my opinion

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Well baking soda removes tarnish from copper so think you did the opposite of what you were going for. Not sure maybe you have a protective coat on it now. Just play with it instead of trying to accelerate the Patina. It's more realistic and The patina actually means something. Just my opinion

Well it sure made it look dark, so it definitely tarnishes it. Everything I read said baking soda and warm water until it doesn't solve anymore will make it brown, which it did. It just wore off really fast then and now looks like the above.

Edit:. This is what it looked like after the baking soda:

6ktzcy6.jpg

Last edited:

StagMoose

Enlightened
So the flashlight works? Nothing is broken man, just actually use it. Acids will likely tarnish it much quicker if that is what you want to do. You made a light Latina coating that wasn't really into the metal and wore it off. It was a superficial coating. If you want it to looks used, use it. Or leave it out in the rain.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
So the flashlight works? Nothing is broken man, just actually use it. Acids will likely tarnish it much quicker if that is what you want to do. You made a light Latina coating that wasn't really into the metal and wore it off. It was a superficial coating. If you want it to looks used, use it. Or leave it out in the rain.

The subject was more of a joke, the light works fine haha I'm just confused why it isn't aging now. I haven't tried to force it in about a month, it just never changes and I carry it every day.

pilo7448

Enlightened
I think they come with some sort of coating on them, I sanded mine down to 1200 grit the shined it up then used liver of Sulphur, here it is in various stages.. 00 steel wool would work as well.. Good luck
18be5f6381c5d787883260bbb26e095d.jpg
83b898249b041afe1a8df2092bcc6acd.jpg
b2a863a228fb6190430e8a9a9ae8565f.jpg
dca5661f2c75cde0530aeb1a5ec7fa9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Well, I rubbed the whole thing with acetone to make sure any coating that was on it from baking soda was removed and it started to patina pretty quick. Problem is, my sweat immediately removes patina. Even on my friend's light that was nicely aged, I held it for maybe 2 minutes and you could see my finger marks all over it. Since I use it a lot I guess it'll never really show.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Aging crazy fast now. Thanks for the help guys, the baking soda definitely coats it somehow and after the initial patina wears off it won't come back naturally.

[FONT=&quot]
OQ5Qk7t.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
T2cfkQC.jpg

[/FONT]
Depending on the light there are some really nice pinks, purples, and blues in there. When it does wear off it comes back within a day.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]