Apocalyptic Solar Charger / Battery Bank Setup Recommendations

madbomber1998

Newly Enlightened
Ok. So I am looking to get a system that works together like this:

1. Lightweight, compact, durable solar charger that charges to....

2. Lightweight, compact, durable battery charger that both charges 18650 / 14500 / Eneloop batteries and...

3. The same charger can use the batteries I have charged to act like a power bank and charge phones and other small electronics. Basically my flashlight batteries double as power banks. and....

4. The solar charger can also charge stand-alone battery banks.

Preferably I would like the whole setup to be small enough and light enough to be able to carry while backpacking, but that's probably a stretch.

Anyways, yea. Any ideas or suggestions?

eart

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore f2 + 10-15 watt solar panel comes to mind. I've used it successfully while camping in a high alpine environment. F2 is both a charger and a power bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a dozen solar panels of various brands, the ones I like most are X-Dragon, light, well built and very functional (it seems to be a superior branch of AllPowers) - it exists from 14W and 20W but I prefer the one from 14W because more compact and 14W (truthfully) are enough.
I like its controller, if a cloud passes it after a few seconds it restarts by itself, with other brands it may be necessary to disconnect / reinsert the charger to restart the charge.
X-Dragon has the section that contains the USB controller with a well-made zippered pocket (you can insert the charger or powerbank there and walk without danger of falling out.
Battery charger: on the solar panel I use Xtar models (MC1 / MC2 / MC3 and others) but if you are looking for one that works both with lithium and with AA in the past I used the Xtar VC2 Plus Master it has two slots and could be bulky in a backpack (but VC2 S is fine too) the problem is that slow (only 0.5A)
Otherwise look at the Nitecore charger that they have already recommended to you, I have never used them but they have a good reputation.

Edit: I see that the Xtar VC2 Plus Master model from the end of 2018 onwards has been updated, it can now also work at 1A

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. So I am looking to get a system that works together like this:

1. Lightweight, compact, durable solar charger that charges to....

2. Lightweight, compact, durable battery charger that both charges 18650 / 14500 / Eneloop batteries and...

3. The same charger can use the batteries I have charged to act like a power bank and charge phones and other small electronics. Basically my flashlight batteries double as power banks. and....

4. The solar charger can also charge stand-alone battery banks.

Preferably I would like the whole setup to be small enough and light enough to be able to carry while backpacking, but that's probably a stretch.

Anyways, yea. Any ideas or suggestions?

If this is for backpacking, you're probably better off just bringing extra batteries. The weight and bulk of a solar charger will be more than the extra batteries. Plus, if you're on the move, you won't be getting ideal sun angles for charging.

If this is for the apocalypse, then you don't really need portability, since you're better off staying in a cabin, along with your 5 year supply of food and guns.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...73-Portable-solar-charging-setup-I-just-built
If this is for backpacking, you're probably better off just bringing extra batteries. The weight and bulk of a solar charger will be more than the extra batteries. Plus, if you're on the move, you won't be getting ideal sun angles for charging.

If this is for the apocalypse, then you don't really need portability, since you're better off staying in a cabin, along with your 5 year supply of food and guns.

For the zombie apocalypse, OP would be better off with a 12vdc system and a 20Ah-35Ah SLA/AGM mother battery and a couple of 12vdc multi-chem chargers.

Here's mine I put together about 8 years ago:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...73-Portable-solar-charging-setup-I-just-built

Chris

Last edited: