Recommendations for NiMh rechargeable D cells and their chargers

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,
A local Humane Society goes through a lot of alkaline D cells for chip readers. I want to purchase and donate some rechargeable D cells and appropriate charger(s) to them. Recommendations? NiMh seems safe and appropriate. I am wondering about brand and reliable sources.

Thanks a million (lumens!),
Lemurian

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, I think you'd be better off donating alkalines. Rechargeables are a nice idea, but I can foresee that some volunteer will simply throw them out when they change batteries, thinking they're alkalines like everything else. Rechargeables only work when you control everything, or know everyone that will replace them, or they're built-in and can't be replaced.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Agree with WITL.

However to answer your question I have actually had good luck with EBL D NiMH batteries from amazon. Purchased some a couple years ago, they charged up to capacity and work fine still. Recently purchased more, all (8/8) charged to near stated capacity (9800 ish Mah) range and work fine. They fit on the ends of my Xtar VC4 and Nitcore 4 slot chargers. They do take a while to charge.

If folks aren't familiar with rechargeables they may not get charged all the way as they occasionally slip off the charging terminals.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every change requires some training / education.

It is surprisingly complicated to deal with sites with a lot of students or volunteer workers. (not that they aren't smart enough, but just not many chances for everyone to be trained)

Perhaps there are other devices around the shelter where they have posted some simple user instructions and you can add another user instruction for people.

It might be that your instructions will have to include a "change the batteries out and charge every Saturday" even if it isn't necessarily required.

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
LFP cells @ 1S can substitute very well for a pair of D's

Just need a physical adapter.

Cared for properly can get many thousands of life cycles.

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody. I have to say I have the same concerns in regards to people thinking they're alkalines and tossing them. I would have to pry a bit to find out what is going on. To be continued...