Tried an L4 for the first time. . .

ubermensch

Enlightened
Wow, what a bummer. It was really quite green and not all that bright. I don't know why people like this light, I much prefer my sammiches. Tell me what you think, but no hate mail please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

alberto

Enlightened
Maybe you just got a bad product. Send it back and ask for an exchange. With so many people, including myself, who are happy with their L4, you obviously have a dud.

E

Emilion

Although is might not be as white as L5, but I don't think it is greenish white.

DBrier

Enlightened
That must be it, try new batteries.
WOW - after I got my L4, my MM+ has just sits in a drawer. The Surefire is much brighter and whiter than the sandwich. You must have gotten a bad one.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto above posts. I am amazed by my L4. Is is one of the few lights that I get re-amazed at quite often. It is SUCH a great light!

rookie

Enlightened
Call Surefire and explain to them that the beam is quite green. When I first got my L4, it was quite green. I called them and they gave me a Return # and then sent me back a white one. The down side is that I had to paid postage myself and waited about 3 weeks for the turnaround.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
emann said:
It was obviously not my L4 you tried out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, what emann said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto. I can't believe the l4 is rated at only 65 lumens. And mine isn' green at all. White white white, awesome light.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Mine is also a little green, but not enough to warrant an exchange. I only notice it when I compare it to my L5 or ARCs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ferreter

Newly Enlightened
Mine is so white and bright I've had to stop using it inside, it makes the walls look like they need to be repainted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I definately agree with the previous posts, try new batteries and if that does nothing contact surefire.

Ferreter

ubermensch

Enlightened
Maybe it was a dud, and maybe the batteries were bad--but I don't know. I did not purchase the light, I merely test drove it at a sporting goods store. And I know this probably belongs in the cheers and jeers section, but when a light is advertised as white, it should probably be white. And when I buy a light for $160, I assume some serious quality control has ensured me a great product. I know that there is tremendous variation from one LED to the next, or at least there used to be, but I wouldn't expect Surefire to use any "duds" in their process. I mean, I could sit in the back of the store, with 20 L4 boxes open, shining the lights against the wall, trying to find the whitest, and brightest one--but I don't want to. Then, once I have selected one, I would have permanent nagging doubts that mine is not as bright as other L4s. . . I just don't feel doing all that--and I shouldn't have to. I was probably just the batteries.

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
I just got my L4 a few days ago and is it ever brilliant white! Sorry to hear about your experience with the L4.

JK

felder

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm...I've got 2. They are both white and really bright.

[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:
Wow, what a bummer. It was really quite green and not all that bright. I don't know why people like this light, I much prefer my sammiches. Tell me what you think, but no hate mail please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

avusblue

Enlightened
The L4 has been around what -- about a year now? And I think we can tend to take it for granted. But what a great light -- a real workhorse that still packs a lot of wow factor and fun. It's still my #1 all-around favorite -- by far. I have three and each one is a knockout. Do the LitFuse clicky mod and you'll be even happier.

Cheers,

Dave

branny

Newly Enlightened
The L4 is my favourite EDC, especially now I've got the Pila 168S from JSBurlys (Thanks Jon!). Having the 168S makes it the torch I reach for when I need one around the house/garage etc, where previously I went for my Arc LS with NiMH AA's. As others have said: Guilt-free-lumens. Oh, and I accidently left it on bezel down the other night and it was flat when I finally remembered it, but no harm done(a G2 would have melted!) and no gnashing of teeth over wasted CR123A's. The 168S and the L4 are such a great combo that they could have been designed for each other!

Brandon

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
branny said:
...Oh, and I accidently left it on bezel down the other night and it was flat when I finally remembered it, but no harm done(a G2 would have melted!)...

[/ QUOTE ]
I did that to a KL2 a couple of summers ago...set the thing bezel-down on a dresser and did not realise it was on until it was far, far too late. And that's $42.00 whirling down the {vulgar term for feces}bowl if I had to buy the batteries locally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The L4 has a scalloped bezel though, so I ought to be able to tell it's on if it's set down somewhere flat, like a dresser, table, shelf, counter, etc. And I've never left the L4 on like that.
Mine also produces a pure white light, with no purple, blue, yellow, or "rotten giraffe urine green" color to its beam.