Duty quality AA?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering if anybody is aware of a light similar to the G2X/6Px tactical from surefire but which runs off AA cells? I'm considering going that route and running L91 instead of the CR123 now that Costco stocks them. Is there a beast out there like this? So far about the only thing I'm seeing is the pelican 2360, which to be honest isn't a bad entry.

Apologies for not using the template but this seems like a concise and specific enough topic to me!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
You are aware of the SureFire 2xAA ?

EDIT - FYI, not a tactically oriented flashlight, but isn't entirely clear from OP if that is a needed criterion.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are aware of the SureFire 2xAA ?

EDIT - FYI, not a tactically oriented flashlight, but isn't entirely clear from OP if that is a needed criterion.

Yeah but I'm looking for a single mode, high only interface. archimedes is right on with the Malkoff and in fact I do have one of these! Its a only flaw is the tail clicky is not glove-freindly being so recessed.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I run a Malkoff M31W in my G2 with a 2 123 to 1AA adapter. Runtimes not the best but a G2 and a Malkoff? Not much to go wrong.

Oh you want 2XAA? Have to use a G3.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run a Malkoff M31W in my G2 with a 2 123 to 1AA adapter. Runtimes not the best but a G2 and a Malkoff? Not much to go wrong.

Oh you want 2XAA? Have to use a G3.

:twothumbs How is the battery life with the M31W running off one cell? I have a C3-HA with that setup which is one of my favorite lights. I run it 2AA and get about 50-60 minutes off a pair of 1900mah LSD NIMH cells. Excellent setup just won't fit any normal type of helmet mounts. Not sure what I didn't think about just doing a G3 setup, though.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not good lol. At 2 hours it was still at 40-50 lumens but full output maybe an hour. It will run for over 5 hours on a single AA but it's down to 1-2 lumens.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always think that 2 x AA cell lights a bit long for me, so I bought a Streamlight 1L 1AA, mainly because it's an omnivore, but I tend to use it on a single AA Eneloop. Specs say 150Lm for 4.25hr on a lithium AA. Brighter on a CR123 and even brighter on Li Ion.
I don't know if you'd consider it Duty Quality though.
P

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put this together for an example

-Malkoff M31
-Malkoff MD3 (3x123 body)
-Surefire Z41 tailcap with McClicky
-Oveready AA Delrin Battery Sleeves 18mm (one 2-cell and one 1-cell)

-Output with 2 AA Energizer Lithium's: 270 lumens for one hour, next 30 minutes tapering off to 200 lumens (per INFRNL runtime chart)

-Output with 2 AA Eneloop's: 270 lumens for 65 minutes with a immediate shutdown (per INFRNL's runtime chart)

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix have a strong following in this forum and they produce quite a few AA lights.

Have you considered something like the E25 UE?

archimedes

Flashaholic
You could get a fixed max output (so-called " #8" light engine, no QTC) AA Peak, with momentary-only plunger switch

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I do like them, but simply trying to be helpful, to the best of my knowledge :shrug:

Not even the first brand I recommended right here in this thread.

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
The 2360 would be a strong option IMO. I have a Pelican 2350 (1xAA) that I just LOVE. It's really solid in hand, has a great forward clicky switch, great throw, great pocket clip and can be set to different mode groups (including high only). The only thing I don't like is that I wish the low mode was lower (like my 5 lumen Surefires). I think it's a seriously overlooked light. Not crazy powerful but the tighter beam gives a nice hotspot.

I initially bought the 2360 2xAA version but it flickered intermittently on the low mode so I swapped it for the 2350. I actually prefer the single AA size for carrying but they are both really nice.

It's hard to overstate just how awesome the Pelican is. My Surefires edge it out just slightly for me because of their lower low but the Pelican actually feels a little more solid. The body is a similar diameter to many CR123 lights but since it takes the AA the tube walls are thicker in comparison. I can't compare it to a 6P but I have a couple Aviators, a Backup and the EDCL2-T. It's kind of shocking how well the Pelican compares considering the price difference.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I do like them, but simply trying to be helpful, to the best of my knowledge :shrug:

Not even the first brand I recommended right here in this thread.

Just having some fun arch. Your advice is always very helpful. That's why I have a Logan 17500 now 😁

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Olight's i5T will give you a max of 300 lumens on an AA battery.

The Tool 2.0 with a 14500 will give you a max of 650 lumens and 270 with a regular AA lithium.

Each is durable. The Tool 2.0 has a smaller circumference. I love both lights.

- LetThereBeLight!