Looking at trails

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys looking for some help. I've decided I'm going to stop street running and get into trail running. Anyone have any suggestions on some trail runners, around the $100 mark.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Don't know how much cushioning you're looking for, but hoka one one has a lot. Basically made for oldsters like me or post surgery athletes(like me again!). And fit is so important. Nike is my other go to sneaker. Have fun

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need something with a wide toe box, preferably zero drop

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Im a total idiot i had no idea what you was asking to i saw the replys

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoka makes wide and so do Nikes. New balance has the best selection of wides but their heels are loose. Nike 4e for me. There are some good runners websites with tons of reviews
I'll take a look at the Hoka. Thanks

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Those look interesting. And right at my budget.

Amazon warehouse employee approved, 12-15 miles a day without sitting is no issue in my Ultraboosts; if you are walking with a group of people, these shoes will give you an outright unfair advantage over the others..

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need something with a wide toe box, preferably zero drop
Those Adidas do not have what some people consider to be a wide toe box. And your next preference of zero drop sounds like you are familiar with Altra. Is that true? After using about 7 pair in the last 5 years (maybe), it can be said how unlikely I will wear a narrow toe box high heel type of shoe again. I end up over using them until the midsole has collapsed at certain points, then get a stone bruise to last the ages. Previous versions can sometimes be had at less than $100, and curiously customers sometimes prefer them over the latest/greatest. Altra's website offers returns if wrong size. My son likes Hoka, but they are a little too cushy boat-like for me. It's not like Altra's will last as long as a Merrill or Hi-Tec based on previous experience. The RSM (rain/snow/mud) models shed water nicely but if you are hard on footwear, the membrane will tear. I've only had one pair of them so far.

ven

Flashaholic
Check out the Salomon speed cross(I have 4). These actually come with the option of wide fitting(which I need). Very comfy and a deal can be got on the previous flavour. Think speed cross 5 are out now, so 4 should be even cheaper.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use mine for walking - Salomon XA PRO 3D (hiking / trail shoes). They are used every day walking the dog. Equipped with quicklace, so for me, I set it and forget it and slip them on.

o6Mrr97.jpg

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
@kit, I'm not familiar with Altra, I normally wear new balance.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ven, I had a pair of the speed cross. Salomon makes good shoes.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd look into Vasque shoes. Vasque Breeze boots are the benchmark for people hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Next best would be Salomon.

StagMoose

Enlightened
They aren't zero drop, but the Salomon sense ride has been really good for me. Nice wide toe box compared to some of their other models. The original model used to be very inexpensive (around $60) and my pair is 2 years old and still serviceable. They also have a GTX Version if you need the waterproofing. They have a lot of cushion where the Xa/ 3D/4D is more of a plastic chassis and IMO not great for running.

Alternatively older models of Saucony peregrine have also been durable and have a nice strike plate in the forefoot that help with rocks. Their drop is closer to neutral if I remember correctly.

Finally the Brooks Cascadia (older models) have been great. I still have a couple beat up pairs I use outside. I don't have experience with their newer versions.

All of these have wider toe boxes, great traction and have proven durable.

ven

Flashaholic
These are my cross 4, pondering getting the 5. They have been very comfy, my use was simply a trainer for winter use on school walks. I dont do running:nana:

So about 18m old i think
Op1xwCKl.jpg

sGdVy5zl.jpg

Little worn from all that pavement
s8WnBldl.jpg

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stag, my current shoes are not zero drop. The drop us about 6mm, but my new balance are. The Saucony looks interesting.