Prometheus        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47

Thread: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

  1. #1
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Help I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    I have decided to get an EDC rotary with SS40 LED and a 123 battery compartment for urban EDC.

    Is there anything that a light newbie should know before I order?
    Maybe there is an upcoming special run I should wait for?
    What battery brand and chargers should I get for this?
    Do I need to buy the grease kit the HDS offers for the light?

    Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Johnnyh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Congrats! There is the Silver switch cap (limited run) still being offered. I’d go for that. I’d also get the batteries offered on the site (INR123) safe chemistry and have tested well. I don’t have the charger offered there but have been using a Nitecore D2 for three years without problem. The spare o-ring and grease sure can add some peace of mind knowing you got the right stuff right off the bat. Just my opinion. Good luck
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* lion504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    1,024

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    As JH suggests, either get the uncoated SS tailcap now, or wait 4-6 weeks for the TiNI coated one. Will be much stronger than the Al one you can buy now. Nothing wrong with the Al version, but since the upgrade is right around the corner, why not wait?

    I use SuperLube.

    How are you going to carry it? Pocket? Or holster?
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

  4. #4
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    As JH suggests, either get the uncoated SS tailcap now, or wait 4-6 weeks for the TiNI coated one. Will be much stronger than the Al one you can buy now. Nothing wrong with the Al version, but since the upgrade is right around the corner, why not wait?

    I use SuperLube.

    How are you going to carry it? Pocket? Or holster?
    If that's the case, I will wait for the coated one. Thank you.

    I am planning to carry it inside my bag.

  5. #5

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Congrats on your decision. Other than lube there really isn’t any care to the HDS.

    As far as batteries, I would either order the 16340 sold on the website or VapCell, which I believe are testing the best of 16340s currently available. As far a charger Nitecore and XTAR both have some good ones depending on your other battery needs. I have both a Nitecore D2 and SC4 that work real well.

  6. #6

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Agreed that INR16340s, either from HDS or Vapcell, are the best battery. There are tons of good charger options out there. Personally I have a Folomov A1 for on-the-go and an Opus BTC3100 which is a 4 bay with more features for at home. If I didn't have any other li-ion charging needs besides the 16340s for the HDS I would probably just have the Folomov or the similar Olight universal magnetic charger. They are super convenient to carry.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

  7. #7
    Johnnyh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    If that's the case, I will wait for the coated one. Thank you.

    I am planning to carry it inside my bag.
    Just to be clear, the silver switch cap is made of the stronger stainless steel, just uncoated. Just making sure, hate to see you have to wait...
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

  8. #8
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    8,472

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    The raw stainless is also limited. This is your only chance to get one new.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

  9. #9

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    The current silver tail is 303 stainless. I pulled a bunch before sending the rest to get military black nitride coated (same as the bezels).
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

  10. #10
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    Just to be clear, the silver switch cap is made of the stronger stainless steel, just uncoated. Just making sure, hate to see you have to wait...
    I greatly appreciate the tips and concern, Thank you!

    I prefer the all black look, it matches with the rest of my EDC

  11. #11
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    @hugo I was reading old HDS threads and your old GITD reflectors are straight fire! Are you planning any of those in the near future?
    Last edited by Tortie; 05-21-2020 at 12:54 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    @hugo I was reading old HDS threads and your old GITD reflectors are straight fire! Are you planning any of those in the near future?
    I'm afraid not... at least not the near future... a long long long time into the future, I would like like to but I'm quite certain it won't be this year... or even next year.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* lion504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    1,024

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Those special reflectors pop up every so often in the WTS, so keep an eye out. Or you could post a WTB.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

  14. #14
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    Those special reflectors pop up every so often in the WTS, so keep an eye out. Or you could post a WTB.
    Thank you!

  15. #15
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Yesterday I made an order:
    tactical, Hcri 225 lm SS40, blk bzl and bdy, sapphire, 123, flush btn, no clip
    how hard it is to wait my first HDS

  16. #16
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by bdr View Post
    Yesterday I made an order:
    tactical, Hcri 225 lm SS40, blk bzl and bdy, sapphire, 123, flush btn, no clip
    how hard it is to wait my first HDS
    IKR? Congratulations!

  17. #17
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    IKR? Congratulations!
    Thanks. You are next bro))))

  18. #18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    I have decided to get an EDC rotary with SS40 LED and a 123 battery compartment for urban EDC.

    Is there anything that a light newbie should know before I order?
    Maybe there is an upcoming special run I should wait for?
    What battery brand and chargers should I get for this?
    Do I need to buy the grease kit the HDS offers for the light?

    Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Just ordered this exact config (with the new black SS tail) a couple days ago -- will be my first as well!

  19. #19
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by dca View Post
    Just ordered this exact config (with the new black SS tail) a couple days ago -- will be my first as well!
    Congratulations! I just ordered today as well. 3 weeks for it to be done and another few weeks for it to arrive in the Philippines. This is going to be a long wait. Hopefully this is going to be my first and last high-end flashlight purchase.

  20. #20
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,881

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    Congratulations! I just ordered today as well. 3 weeks for it to be done and another few weeks for it to arrive in the Philippines. This is going to be a long wait. Hopefully this is going to be my first and last high-end flashlight purchase.
    It doesn't work like that. This will be first of several, take it from someone who knows.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

  21. #21
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    It doesn't work like that. This will be first of several, take it from someone who knows.
    P
    LOL. I hope you are wrong.

  22. #22

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    LOL. I hope you are wrong.
    Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the start of a journey, not the end, for me too. At least we're in good company!

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* RedLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan
    Posts
    3,574

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    What about these GITD reflectors? How do they work?
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

  24. #24

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    LOL. I hope you are wrong.
    I'm afraid there is an 81.48% chance... although the numbers are probably as accurate as the governments count on Covid cases.

    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hts-do-you-own
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

  25. #25

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    What about these GITD reflectors? How do they work?
    Elf magic.

    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

  26. #26

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by dca View Post
    Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the start of a journey, not the end, for me too. At least we're in good company!
    This is the more likely.

    I thought it would be the end. I got it and absolutely fell in love. Then a new emitter comes out that and my mind was like that would really be great for “this”, then a special metal run and the wow factor hits.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* RedLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan
    Posts
    3,574

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    What about this GITD reflector...anyone?
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

  28. #28

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    What about this GITD reflector...anyone?
    There were a few different types made, the reflectors were coated with different colored reflective material. Mostly they gave the beam a more diffuse pattern. I think there was a thread dedicated to this with beam shots.

    For the most part they did not reduce the output and in a couple of cases they increased the CRI by about .5-1 point, if I recall correctly.

    Here is one of the threads.

    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...fuse-reflector
    Last edited by greatscoot; 05-28-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

  29. #29
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

  30. #30
    Flashaholic* RedLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan
    Posts
    3,574

    Default Re: I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

    Thanks, guy's, they look great.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •