I am about to pull the trigger on my first HDS

Tortie

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to get an EDC rotary with SS40 LED and a 123 battery compartment for urban EDC.

Is there anything that a light newbie should know before I order?
Maybe there is an upcoming special run I should wait for?
What battery brand and chargers should I get for this?
Do I need to buy the grease kit the HDS offers for the light?

Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Congrats! There is the Silver switch cap (limited run) still being offered. I'd go for that. I'd also get the batteries offered on the site (INR123) safe chemistry and have tested well. I don't have the charger offered there but have been using a Nitecore D2 for three years without problem. The spare o-ring and grease sure can add some peace of mind knowing you got the right stuff right off the bat. Just my opinion. Good luck

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
As JH suggests, either get the uncoated SS tailcap now, or wait 4-6 weeks for the TiNI coated one. Will be much stronger than the Al one you can buy now. Nothing wrong with the Al version, but since the upgrade is right around the corner, why not wait?

I use SuperLube.

How are you going to carry it? Pocket? Or holster?

Tortie

Newly Enlightened
As JH suggests, either get the uncoated SS tailcap now, or wait 4-6 weeks for the TiNI coated one. Will be much stronger than the Al one you can buy now. Nothing wrong with the Al version, but since the upgrade is right around the corner, why not wait?

I use SuperLube.

How are you going to carry it? Pocket? Or holster?

If that's the case, I will wait for the coated one. Thank you.

I am planning to carry it inside my bag.

Sos24

Enlightened
Congrats on your decision. Other than lube there really isn't any care to the HDS.

As far as batteries, I would either order the 16340 sold on the website or VapCell, which I believe are testing the best of 16340s currently available. As far a charger Nitecore and XTAR both have some good ones depending on your other battery needs. I have both a Nitecore D2 and SC4 that work real well.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed that INR16340s, either from HDS or Vapcell, are the best battery. There are tons of good charger options out there. Personally I have a Folomov A1 for on-the-go and an Opus BTC3100 which is a 4 bay with more features for at home. If I didn't have any other li-ion charging needs besides the 16340s for the HDS I would probably just have the Folomov or the similar Olight universal magnetic charger. They are super convenient to carry.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
If that's the case, I will wait for the coated one. Thank you.

I am planning to carry it inside my bag.

Just to be clear, the silver switch cap is made of the stronger stainless steel, just uncoated. Just making sure, hate to see you have to wait...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current silver tail is 303 stainless. I pulled a bunch before sending the rest to get military black nitride coated (same as the bezels).

Tortie

Newly Enlightened
Just to be clear, the silver switch cap is made of the stronger stainless steel, just uncoated. Just making sure, hate to see you have to wait...

I greatly appreciate the tips and concern, Thank you! :grin2:

I prefer the all black look, it matches with the rest of my EDC :p

Tortie

Newly Enlightened
@hugo I was reading old HDS threads and your old GITD reflectors are straight fire! Are you planning any of those in the near future?

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@hugo I was reading old HDS threads and your old GITD reflectors are straight fire! Are you planning any of those in the near future?

I'm afraid not... at least not the near future... a long long long time into the future, I would like like to but I'm quite certain it won't be this year... or even next year.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those special reflectors pop up every so often in the WTS, so keep an eye out. Or you could post a WTB.

bdr

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I made an order:
tactical, Hcri 225 lm SS40, blk bzl and bdy, sapphire, 123, flush btn, no clip

how hard it is to wait my first HDS :)

dca

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to get an EDC rotary with SS40 LED and a 123 battery compartment for urban EDC.

Is there anything that a light newbie should know before I order?
Maybe there is an upcoming special run I should wait for?
What battery brand and chargers should I get for this?
Do I need to buy the grease kit the HDS offers for the light?

Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Just ordered this exact config (with the new black SS tail) a couple days ago -- will be my first as well!

Tortie

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered this exact config (with the new black SS tail) a couple days ago -- will be my first as well!

Congratulations! I just ordered today as well. 3 weeks for it to be done and another few weeks for it to arrive in the Philippines. This is going to be a long wait. Hopefully this is going to be my first and last high-end flashlight purchase.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! I just ordered today as well. 3 weeks for it to be done and another few weeks for it to arrive in the Philippines. This is going to be a long wait. Hopefully this is going to be my first and last high-end flashlight purchase.

It doesn't work like that. This will be first of several, take it from someone who knows.
P