GIANT reflector for custom motorcycle

The Cyclops

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am in the process of building a scrambler type of motorcycle (based off of a Suzuki SV650).
I am looking to build a giant headlight for styling purposes. Yes, it would still have to function.
Something in the neighborhood of 11"-12"+ diameter.

I can handle the fabrication and mounting but has anyone seen a light, from any industry, along those lines? I could even go with flat glass in front as a metal louver design in front of the lens is kind of in the back of my mind as a design element.

So basically I'm wondering where to look for an extra jumbo reflector. Could I just take a giant stainless mixing bowl, have it plated and place a bulb holder in it? :grin2::grin2::grin2: What about a theatre stage light of some sort? (yes, I know the bulb is different)

Inspo: Kawasaki Team Green Baja 1,000 race bike. Visual impact.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/b5/18/01/ready-for-the-1994-baja.jpg

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am in the process of building a scrambler type of motorcycle (based off of a Suzuki SV650).
I am looking to build a giant headlight for styling purposes. Yes, it would still have to function.
Something in the neighborhood of 11"-12"+ diameter.

Hope you're good at glass cutting.
Cut that giant mixing bowl cut apart to fit around the original 7" round headlamp. Then get a glass skillet lid that you've cut a 7" diameter hole in the center so it fits around the headlamp glass without covering any of it. Etch the glass so it looks like the glass on a sealed beam headlamp. You might also be able to just put bubbles of butyl on the inside of the glass to look like the pillow optics of a sealed beam lamp.

You might even be able to put in some 168 bulbs in there to come on when the headlamp does, so the whole lens area seems to fill with light when the headlamp is on.

You don't want the real headlamp to be covered in any way, and obviously you're not going to be able to make a functional motorcycle headlamp with a mixing bowl and whatever bulb you pick (other than a 7" or 5.25" motorcycle sealed beam), and the only lamp from any industry you should be using as a headlamp is one from the motorcycle industry if you plan on driving the motorcycle.

Don't forget to relocate the turn signals if your giant enclosure obscures them in any way.

Finally, listen to -Virgil- when he arrives because while on the face of it it seems like you could pull this off without any issues, it's that word seems that could come back to bite.

Last edited:

The Cyclops

Newly Enlightened
Hope you're good at glass cutting.
Cut that giant mixing bowl cut apart to fit around the original 7" round headlamp. Then get a glass skillet lid that you've cut a 7" diameter hole in the center so it fits around the headlamp glass without covering any of it. Etch the glass so it looks like the glass on a sealed beam headlamp. You might also be able to just put bubbles of butyl on the inside of the glass to look like the pillow optics of a sealed beam lamp.

You might even be able to put in some 168 bulbs in there to come on when the headlamp does, so the whole lens area seems to fill with light when the headlamp is on.

You don't want the real headlamp to be covered in any way, and obviously you're not going to be able to make a functional motorcycle headlamp with a mixing bowl and whatever bulb you pick (other than a 7" or 5.25" motorcycle sealed beam), and the only lamp from any industry you should be using as a headlamp is one from the motorcycle industry if you plan on driving the motorcycle.

Don't forget to relocate the turn signals if your giant enclosure obscures them in any way.

Finally, listen to -Virgil- when he arrives because while on the face of it it seems like you could pull this off without any issues, it's that word seems that could come back to bite.

Thank you. Yes, something along those lines was one of my ideas as well; existing light like a Cibie Super Oscar inside a larger enclosure with LED halo. So that it would still give the appearance of a large light.

Just searching around to see if there is a cleaner way of doing it. I did find out about some 10" PIAAs from back when but they are impossible to get hold of. Then there is the 240mm Lightforce model. https://www.lightforce.com/en_us/xgt-240mm-hid-12v-internal-ballast-50w-4200k which is in all practicallity, the direction I should be headed as it is ready to go. But as a masochistic DIY guy, always looking for an alternative. You know how it is! :grin2:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I am in the process of building a scrambler type of motorcycle (based off of a Suzuki SV650). I am looking to build a giant headlight for styling purposes. Yes, it would still have to function.

Please define "function". How and where will this motorcycle be used?

Could I just take a giant stainless mixing bowl, have it plated and place a bulb holder in it?

You wouldn't result with a headlamp of any kind.

What about a theatre stage light of some sort?

This wouldn't result with a headlamp of any kind, either.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cibie and Lightforce you mention are long distance auxiliary driving lamps, and I can't imagine them working well as a motorcycle headlight. Will you be using the motorcycle on public roads ?

The Cyclops

Newly Enlightened
The Cibie and Lightforce you mention are long distance auxiliary driving lamps, and I can't imagine them working well as a motorcycle headlight. Will you be using the motorcycle on public roads ?

Please define "function". How and where will this motorcycle be used?
Off road. Custom build scrambler show bike. (For the 'Gram!) Would need to function like a powerful off-road light. Also would need to impress the crowd when flipped on at motorcycle shows or in video clips.
And yes, the mixing bowl and stage light were made in jest, but still with the idea of seeing what other ideas are out there.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think the best bet (other than just not messing with this) is making a giant enclosure and a glass bezel for the headlamp (ensuring that the glass does not cover or encroach upon the lens of the headlamp) to provide the external and not-too-closely-examined appearance of an oversize lamp in an oversize bucket, with your real headlamp centered within this bezel. Someone three or four feet away would see the gimmick immediately (but appreciate the design); a crowd in the stands won't spot the gimmick so easily. It's just going to be an 11" glass lid with the 7" hole cut in it, extending the radius by 2", it should be fairly convincing.

The mixing bowl would just surround the mounting point/hide the original bucket and hold the glass bezel without performing any mounting function (it won't bear the weight of the factory lamp, won't be used to affect the aim or any of that).

Last edited:

The Cyclops

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the more I think about it, I like that idea of a light in the middle and a halo around it. If designed well and if the craftsmanship is solid, it could be really cool. In that arena, there is a lot of creative freedom for functional design.

Oh dang! I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner . . . .
I could use a photographic studio strobe reflector. All sorts of sizes there! 12" would be easy to find!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298574-REG/Impact_402620_Floodlight_Reflector_12.html