5D maglite switch, repair problem!

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I`v got a 5D maglite and at some point years ago a battery must have leaked inside, it`s all cleaned up now as far as I can tell, but it still doesn`t work.
the batts and bulb are fine, the switch sometimes clicks and sometimes sticks.
I`v removed the rubber switch cover, loosened the alan key screw and can move the switch assembly a little, it`ll go side to side, and it will move up (towards the bulb end), but it will Not move downwards towards the end cap at all?
it`s a pre 92 so it has the old switch assembly in there. I could probably take it out from the bulb end (it seems to want to move that direction), but there`s a plastic disc with 4 indents in there that wont move (like the locking disc on an angle grinder), do I have to insert pins into those and try and rotate that disc to unscrew it or something? because it will NOT move in the other direction and slide out the end cap side no matter what I try. it`s been sprayed in Teflon based lube and it still wont shift (though the switch is freer now! LOL).

I`v seen a replacement switch module for it, I just need to get this old one out first and I don`t want to have to melt it out.

any ideas?

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
yup, and I managed to get the thing out!!! :D
it is that ring thingy at the bulb end of the torch, I used some needle nose pliars spread to the same distance as 2 opposing holes and twisted it free, it`s like a kinda screw in collar thing, I`ll post pics a bit later.
there was so much corroded green solid stuff in there and inside the switch itself, seems an odd combo using real silver and brass together though?
I`ll try fix it, if not then I`ll spend £17 on eBay and buy a new one, the torch was Free anyway (Huge Thanks you Mr Yetman), so £17 for a 5 cell D Maglite that will last me a lifetime isn`t bad! but hopefully the switch isn`t too ruined inside and it won`t come to that. (so grateful I didn`t have to melt it out!)

I`ll be back later with some pics all being well. xx

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Well I managed to repair the switch assembly, and there was enough of it left uncorroded to work with, the main issue was the brass peice, it`s the one in the L shape, one side goes to + terminal of the batteries, the other side goes into the switch as one of the contacts for the silver ring, I had to bend that part a little to make a propper contact again when in the ON postion because it had corroded off the original contact point.

here`s some pics as promised, sorry they`re not very good.

mag1.jpg

mag2.jpg

mag3.jpg

mag-done.jpg

it`s all working again now as in the last picture, I put the rubber cap back on after (a metal nail file works great!).

hopefully it`ll help someone else in a similar position in the future :-D

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got it cleaned up real nice - looks almost new! It should give you many years of faithful service.....my 4D Mag is almost 35 years old and still going strong, though I had to save it couple times from leaking batteries. Now its running on Soshine NiMH's with a LED drop-in, it's my bump in the night checking light.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Thanks, I did a bit more cleaning after those pics and I think I may remake that L shaped brass contact in pure silver same as the ring and the other contact, I notice quite a few of the old torches use silver or heavy silver plated parts, so I`ll probably do the same eventually.
I love Maglites as well and I only have to get a 2D maglite now and I`ll have the entire set in D`s :-D
I run mine on NiMH as well, but keep them as incan (I prefer Incans), I tend to sleep through all the bump in the nights! LOL

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like incans, look for some of the old Mag xenon PR bulbs, these are far better than krypton bulbs or the new xenon bi-pin bulbs, though they haven't been made for a while so they can be hard to find.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Way to go.

eBay is your friend for flashlight bulbs. For PR base bulbs PR are pre-krypton. KPR are krypton and XPR are xenon. HPR are halogen but those are not real common for flashlights.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel very embarrassed that I sent you a corroded light. Still, you got it fied and we've all learnt something.
Thank you.
P

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I feel very embarrassed that I sent you a corroded light. Still, you got it fied and we've all learnt something.
Thank you.
P

Noooooo don`t be! I`m really grateful that you sent any at all, some level of corrosion was expected, you should see the state of some of the stuff I buy! LOL springs that crumble, brass contacts that are paper thin you can push a Q-tip through it, and I don`t mind at all, it`s all part of the fun of making them work again, the ones you sent were Mint compared to what I`m used to, in fact 2 of them were mint and needed nothing really doing to them :)
That 5D was my first ever Mag repair, and I`m grateful for the experience of that as well, so the next one I come across I`ll know exactly what to do and expect.
oh BTW, I bought a 3D and a 2D yesterday so Now I have the entire set! (2D->6D) and at least 10 new bulbs for each one, and all the NiMH`s that I`ll need for them all :-D