A quick look at XTAR Flagship Charger--Dragon VP4 Plus

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Hello everyone,

A few years ago, we released a multi-functional charger, "XTAR Dragon VP4 Plus". It can not only charge the battery but also detect the health of the battery. It can be said that it is a rare product with a strong comprehensive performance on the market.

I9e34VI.png

So today, let's take everyone to review this flagship product again.

The "XTAR Dragon VP4 Plus" comes in a cardboard box and includes:

cDUh3bu.jpg

-VP4 Plus charger
-12V/3A adapter
-Pair of probes
-3A car adapter
-Charger bag
-Manual
-Warranty card

The slots can handle long protected 18650 and 26650 cells up to approximately 72mm in length. As with nearly all other chargers, since it was released a few years ago, now the protected 20700 and 21700 cells have arrived on the market, we are having issues fitting. I believe in the near future, we will fix these issues.

The user interface is fairly simple and easy to learn, with just three buttons:
crzmaRV.jpg

Left - Current/Refresh button - the short press will change current, a long press will start refresh cycle.
Middle - Display - change between displayed slots, a long press will set the display to low brightness, double click returns to the main screen.
Right - Record/Test - the short press will recall saved test data, long press will start a test cycle, double click will turn sound on/off.
Note: When display brightness is dimmed, the first press of any button will restore it to max brightness.

Each slot/bay has a colored indicator light:
Blue - Discharging
Red - Charging
Green - Battery fully charged/reverse polarity/poor connection.

Finally, please allow me to share a video from YouTube @ Mr Baz Reviews.

You can also find this charger on below links:
Amazon-US: https://amzn.to/2TnhQzm
Aliexpress: https://bit.ly/3e2KC0f

We also running a giveaway contest on Facebook to get XTAR and Rincoe mail
Contest link: https://bit.ly/facebookxtargiveaway
Follow us you still have a big chance to win a more free gift! Share it with your friend now.:naughty:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought there was a new version of this charger that was supposed to be coming out last year?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
I thought there was a new version of this charger that was supposed to be coming out last year?

Do you mean the VC8 charger? It has the Grade mode and Store mode, and also it can charge protected 21700s that are longer cells.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean the VC8 charger? It has the Grade mode and Store mode, and also it can charge protected 21700s that are longer cells.

No, I thought it was the dragon, maybe I was mistaken?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
We haven't done upgarde to dragon. Maybe do it in the future. If upgrade, what features you would like?

2A charging on all 4 slots.

All 4 slots support NiMH D cells.

Increase size of bays to 80 mm to fit protected 21700 cells.

Display Voltage when charging.

Add .25A setting for small cells.

Allow setting each slot charge rate independently.

Change method of attaching slider springs so that the plastic posts don't break off.

Attach wires to each slider so that contact is not dependent on contact with slider rails.

Support for LiPo4 cells.

Design sliders to better fit larger cells without slipping or popping off.

Increase the IR range that can be measured with the probes.

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
2A charging on all 4 slots.

All 4 slots support NiMH D cells.

Increase size of bays to 80 mm to fit protected 21700 cells.

Display Voltage when charging.

Add .25A setting for small cells.

Allow setting each slot charge rate independently.

Change method of attaching slider springs so that the plastic posts don't break off.

Attach wires to each slider so that contact is not dependent on contact with slider rails.

Support for LiPo4 cells.

Design sliders to better fit larger cells without slipping or popping off.

Increase the IR range that can be measured with the probes.

Wow, your ideas are very good! I've feedback to our engineers. Thank you so much.

bigtom67

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased this unit and was curious is there any kind of adapter or anyway to charge a 2S lipo drone Battery? There's only a spot on the charger to balance charge a 3S lipo battery. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I would love to recondition some of my 2S Drone batteries.

nqhzdkdf

Newly Enlightened
One of the main reason why i have recommended an other advanced charger from an other company and not the XTAR Dragon was the missing storage/store charging/discharging mode.
If you would like to go awesome overkill on the future product, then add a DC/DC converstion mode to the probes like for example this charger have now: https://www.skyrc.com/Charger/iMax/b6v2
It would be awesome to have normal charging slots, and DC-powersupply mode in one device.

And please make the probe-measuring capability lower then 0.66V.

Last edited:

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
LiPo4 support upgrade. Yes or no and if yes, when (this is a deal breaker for me)? I have two VP2 chargers with this function that I use often but would like to upgrade to a four bay charger. Also a 0.25A setting for those of with many small batteries.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, your ideas are very good! I've feedback to our engineers. Thank you so much.
Many of those ideas are in fact NOT new, and are shared amongst this entire user community, such as:
a. Selectable 3.6/4.2/4.35V top-off support (as in the VP2)
b. User-selectable charge speeds (0.25A or even down to 0.1A)
c. Protected 21xxx cell compatibility as well as better quality spring sliders

However, NiMH compatibility is NOT one of them. I'd suggest that Xtar learns from other big-name companies (eg. Maha) and try to optimize its NiMH charging strategy first, before re-implementing on its charger lineup.