Question about Nitecore new i2 getting hot (and using DC input)

flexylol

Newly Enlightened
I have a nitecore new i2 that is always getting quite hot. On occasion, and now in particular with hotter outside temps, it is shutting off (where LEDs stays on and it doesn't seem to charge), which is from the overtemp protection. (If you disconnect it and wait a little, you can 'reset' it). The charger is validated genuine, and otherwise I am using it for 2+ years w/o problems. Bought in 2017.

But it is getting REALLY annoying since it means a percentage of bats I am charging isn't charging.

*) The i2 has a DC12V input, and people said using it helps to get temps down. Makes sense. I just happen to exactly have a wall adapter like this, which is 12V 0.5A.

On the Nitecore site it says input 0.25A (max), 8W 9-12V 1A.

Question: Is it "safe" to use the 12V 0.5A DC adapter? (I am testing it, the adapter does get cozily warm, but wouldn't call it very hot, charging one 18650 at 1000maH. Confused whether this adapter is within specs.

*) Alternatively, I could just put a case fan near the charger and cool the charger. But I am not sure whether this is smart, since after all the shutoff from overtemp is a protection mechanism.

Any tips? Thanks!!

flexylol

Newly Enlightened
***Edit*** (Can't edit original text since new user)

Correction: The external DC adapter I mentioned doesn't have 0.5A, but 1.0A. But it's an el-cheapo run-of-the-mill generic one.

I found another external DC adapter in my electronics bin, 12V 2A. Bigger, almost like a mini laptop adapter. I am using this one now, and (expectedly) it doesn't get warm really. Somewhere on a site I saw they measured that the nitecore i2 using an external adapter is drawing max. 0.6A, so I *assume* that even the 1A would be ok.

As for now (charging a 18650 at 1A), the charger is NOT getting hot anymore, and I hope that issue that was annoying me for so long is gone now.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are quite safe. Your Nitecore draws the power rather than the PSU pushing the power, if that make sense. So if the Nitecore needs 0.6A and you use a PSU that only delivers 0.25A, there will be overheating.
If your charger needs 0.6A and the PSU delivers more than that you are sorted.
P