Muyshondt Flieger QA issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Was hoping to get the opinion of folk here. I just purchased one of the Muyshondt Flieger 1930 lights, which I'll be the first to admit is pocket bling.

Anyway, I just got it this week, but there are a number of marks on the body (I'm guessing machining marks) that are fairly subtle. They have a pretty unpleasant feeling and frankly, you wouldn't expect them on something so absurdly expensive.

I've contacted Muyshondt customer support and they're insisting that they wouldn't have shipped something out in that condition, but as far as I can tell, the marks are on the metal underneath the coating itself, so not sure how else they might have gotten there. They've offered a $50 for a future purchase, but frankly I don't think I'd want to purchase a Muyshondt again.

Anyway, I'd appreciate a sanity check if anyone is willing. Since I'm based in Europe, the process of doing a simple replacement isn't so simple.

Here's a video where you can see the marks in the light:
https://youtu.be/Z0gOsJiqeD4

and a photo as well

60OkKCU_d.webp

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
OP, not sure what link you had pasted in as the lower "photo" but the CPF database does not handle Imgur "galleries" very well.

I tried to fix your link for you, but I think you would get better results by uploading each individual photo to Imgur separately (not as a gallery) , and then posting those with the usual tags instead.

nbp

Flashaholic
Ooof. I love Enrique's lights - I have had about seven of them, and they have been perfectly machined. I would not be happy with that. Looks like it got chomped by the chuck on the CNC or whatever is machining it.

pilo7448

Enlightened
I've only owned one (titanium) and the machining was perfect, I would definitely send that back.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
@archimedes: Exactly, the "black" a new coating from the most recent batch.

And thank you for trying to fix the Imgur piece. :) I originally tried to upload a photo to the board and it didn't quite work. I've been a long time lurker here since first buying some Peak lights, but haven't posted till recently.

@Russ: I did. That's the weird part. They are insisting that they didn't ship it out that way, but the damage (as least to my eyes) is very clearly below the coating, so I'm not sure what they're thinking. Their response twice now has been "[FONT=&quot]As I noted in my last e-mail, we are certain your Flieger was not shipped in that condition."

[/FONT]
@NBP: That's my assumption as well. I've never done metal working but having turned things on a lathe before, it looks a bit like a tool just skipped.

@pilo7448: Awesome, appreciate that context.

I mean, it sounds like the options are either they're going to do effectively nothing (a $50 voucher on a future purchase feels like a slap in the face and am unlikely to order anything from these guys in the future all things considered). The issue on my side is that being located in Denmark, I have to actually go through a pretty extensive process to get a refund on the import duties I paid, so the lack of quality control on this thing is ultimately costing me both time and money.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, in my one encounter with Muyshondt, I found them to be rather intransigent.
Whoever deals with their complaints either has no initiative or is not allowed to use any.
So sorry you are disappointed, it's a pain being so far away when you have a problem.
P

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, in my one encounter with Muyshondt, I found them to be rather intransigent.
Whoever deals with their complaints either has no initiative or is not allowed to use any.
So sorry you are disappointed, it's a pain being so far away when you have a problem.
P

Yeah, I've gotten that impression.

I ended up opening a paypal dispute just for the consumer protection side. I hate doing that being a business owner myself, but I'm pretty nervous given the customer service so far.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging from the video it indeed looks like the damage is under the coating/anodising and in this case I wouldn´t consider it acceptable no matter if it is a $50 or a $600 light. I would have opened a paypal dispute as well if I received such answers. Good luck!

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Random question: folk here have referred to the Muyshondt creator Enrique by a name quite a bit, is he a member of the forum? It'd be incredible to chat with him directly instead of dealing with his constrained customer service person, Nathalie (who has stopped responding to emails).

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes, his name here is Endeavor. I think I spelled it correctly. I don't know how often he checks in here but you could try a PM. I didn't realize he had a CS rep now. In the past we just emailed back and forth with him directly when buying lights as they were mostly just sold here in small batches.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, thank you. I'll send him a note.

Edit:
"Endeavour has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her. If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Endeavour from the recipient list and send the message again."
Ahh well.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Random question: folk here have referred to the Muyshondt creator Enrique by a name quite a bit, is he a member of the forum? It'd be incredible to chat with him directly instead of dealing with his constrained customer service person, Nathalie (who has stopped responding to emails).
Not a good sign when communication stops.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Did they offer to have you return the light to them so they may examine it?

Those marks would bother me too. The attitude that no light could get out and past their QC seems arrogant. Anything can happen, and bigger mistakes have been made. Remember the space shuttle disaster was QC related.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Did they offer to have you return the light to them so they may examine it?

Those marks would bother me too. The attitude that no light could get out and past their QC seems arrogant. Anything can happen, and bigger mistakes have been made. Remember the space shuttle disaster was QC related.

Hi, sorry for the slow response here. They did offer to have me send it back, but not to cover shipping. They also no longer had the same light.

The big issue for me is that since I'm living in Denmark atm, I had to pay a pretty intense import cost which is quite difficult to get refunded. That was why I asked about simply refunding me a percentage and to treat the light as a "factory second" since it was incorrectly manufactured. Unfortunately, they're refusing to acknowledge that they made an error in manufacturing and instead insist that it was damaged in shipping or by me, which seems improable since the grooves are underneath the coating.

Anyway, I'm fairly annoyed. Would definitely not recommend Muyshondt to anyone going forward.

pilo7448

Enlightened
I've heard the same from other people.. Its a shame because they make a nice product. (usually)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear of the disappointing outcome.

Since you are new here, a gentle reminder that we don't do "negative advisement to others" on CPF.

This appears to be turning into a "Jeer" which has additional rules and its own subforum, so we will close this thread for now.

If there are any further significant developments, OP may contact staff to reopen and/or move thread to "C'n'J"

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.