ArmyTek        

Thread: Hello from MN!

Default Hello from MN!

After making an account a long time ago I am now getting into flashlights. I've been collecting pocket knives for awhile along with some other random stuff so it was probably just a matter of time. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Hello from MN!

Welcome to the party, O frozen one.

My exposure to Minnesota is limited. Ages ago I was living in Miami, Florida when I received an invitation to a hasty wedding in Minneapolis, in February. A former Navy shipmate had unexpectedly received orders that accelerated his departure from a stateside recruiting assignment in St. Paul, to a shipboard billet in the Indian Ocean. He had planned to wed in June, but his orders moved his deployment date to April 1st. (This was not a Navy joke, he really was going away on Fool's Day). Folks in South Florida have a different perspective on winter than most of the country, but they nevertheless take cold weather in stride, and switch to long sleeve polo shirts to better endure the dead of winter. Before the invitation arrived I had never experienced a real winter (although I did have a nice selection of sweaters if the temperature ever fell below 50F). I arrived in Minneapolis on February 8th, wearing wool slacks; a cotton shirt and v-neck sweater, and a camel hair coat. No hat, no gloves, no base layers, and no clue. The temperature on my arrival was -11F, with eight knots of wind out of the north (I was later to understand that wind always comes from the north in Minnesota). I may as well have been soaking wet and butt naked, and I could imagine the wind laughing hysterically as it sliced through my clothes. My friend's sister picked me up, and was trying hard not to laugh at my wardrobe. I had to make an emergency trip to a sporting goods store to find base layers, but was fortunately able to borrow winter-weight outerwear and gloves for the duration.

But enough about me. How are things in your part of the country?

Welcome! Curious about your screen name; interesting.

Flashaholic*

Google Caudata.. he's a 40-50lb giant salamander 🐍

Yes! Then does Sm signify small, as in small giant salamander? Or is it the individual's initials?

By the by, if you know someone who needs work on learning their left and right hands, here's a dandy 2 minute 35 second video with a caudata flair. (It helps if you dance to the tune)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRbwFq9665k<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRbwFq9665k

">
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 05-30-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Flashaholic*

Very good Kitro!

Although i think the vid is promoting lefties
    Both my parents were left handed and one sibling.. and me, i was born a switch hitter (-:

Thanks Harley valve cover Gary!
    Wondering if your parents/sibling show artistic abilities. Ambidextroids totally rule though.