Suggest a light for first foray into maximum durabillity/reliability class of lights.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night, when I was supposed to be sleeping, I was wide awake thinking that I do not have anything in the Fraz-HDS-LRI-Malkoff-McGizmo-Muyshondt-Okluma-Oveready-Peak-Pelicans-Prometheus-TexasLumens-TNC and Surefire and Zebralight class of flashlights yet, and that I would have to continue reading vast quantities of material to decide on which is "best" or simply open a new topic thread to ask which is "best" for me to start in this class of lights.

All of a sudden, someone opened a topic: "What is a truly robust survival flashlight"

There, ensconced and nestled within that topic thread, are mentions of members of this hitherto unknown to me class of lights. I do not want to open a near duplicate synchronous topic thread, nor hijack some one else's topic thread, so here is the lesser of two evils:

So, where does someone who is solidly and happily in the Fenix-Nitecore-Olight universe make his first move into the specialty manufacturer/custom HDS-Malkoff-Zebralight universe, in search of the truly most robust survival light?

Price: Not a factor. Mail order/online preferred. Hand-held LED format. Power source: Not a factor.

OTF light quantity: Toward 800 and higher lumens would be nice, but 400 range would be ok, if need be so low. Brief burst to very high would be great.

Flood versus throw: Not a factor. Durability: Maximum critical. Most indestructible. Least amount of things that can go wrong.

Switch: Most durable. UI: Not a factor. Material: Ti or SS for most durability, but aluminum ok if it is ok for the "Max Durability" class of lights. Water resistant: Moderate is ok. Holster and pocket clip would be nice, but just holster is fine, if the light is too big to clip.

Runtime: Not a factor. Size/portability/mass: Not a factor. Tint: Not a factor.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'll start out by listing Malkoff. Lots of options and very dependable.Also in same field elzetta. Stay away from bells and whistles. More that can and will go wrong.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mcgizmo Haiku! That's where I started with custom lights, and it remains one of my favorite, more durable lights! It might not hit the 400 lumen mark though.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I would put out there for your consideration an Elzetta Bravo with the simple twist tail cap. Extremely tough. Or an Elzetta Bones if you like 18650 Li ions.

Enlightened
Obviously malkoff... a Surefire 6P with a malkoff dropin and stock twisty switch would be as close as you can get I believe.

Modlite if you dont need more than 1 mode.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I would not throw Zebralight into the category of ultra-durable. They are nice and somewhat durable. Their niche is more big output and useful modes in a small package.

Malkoff, Elzetta, (some) Surefires is a good starting point.

I'm not into designer/ collectible stuff but I'm sure of them are also durable.

nbp

Flashaholic
Suggest a light for first foray into maximum durabillity/reliability class of...

It's tough because there are many angles. McGizmo, Okluma, Muyshondt, Frelux, make some of my favorite lights. Very well built, very reliable, elegant and beautiful. Some are quite bright like Okluma or Prometheus while some are mid range output like McG or Frelux. They will serve you very well day in and day out. However they aren't potted which some might say is a must if you want the most durable light. So Malkoff and Peak are excellent choices and all their stuff is potted. They offer good output, very simple UI, which you may like or you may not, though. Maybe only one or two modes, or QTC. These are ideal for some situations but not for others. If that suits you they may make you happy. If you like outstanding durability and also user configurable UI something like HDS or Oveready are fantastic. HDS are sealed up and almost indestructible, E-switch, and you can set it up however you like but max out about 325 lumens. (OTF so they appear brighter.) OR lights like the BOSS are insanely bright, super configurable, and very durable. I believe they have a potting compound or conformal coating inside as well though I'd have to check that. They come in a couple battery sizes, E series heads, different metals. Truly excellent.

I think that an HDS Rotary with the newly offered matching stainless steel head and tail might be an excellent choice if you can get by with a couple hundred lumens. A few emitter choices available.

I would say my HDSs and BOSSs get the bulk of my carry time!

Small pocket, simple UI, max robustness - Peak, Fraz (little bulkier)
Reliable, EDC, beautiful, classy - McG, Okluma, Muyshondt, Prometheus, Frelux
Super simple, very durable, tactical type light - Malkoff, Surefire
Super tough, max flexibility in UI - HDS
Super tough, max flexibility in UI with max output - Oveready

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Suggest a light for first foray into maximum durabillity/reliability class of...

Thanks guys! I am going to take deeper look at Fraz.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Suggest a light for first foray into maximum durabillity/reliability class of...

Lol me to! I remember reading about them and thought they were an excellent design and very robust then somehow forgot all about them. I mean as another member brought up the new versions don't even have wires attached to the led to break. There held in place with screws.

Latest posts