NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Possible 21700 P60 body & tailcap?

Default Possible 21700 P60 body & tailcap?

+

CPF has more enthusiast/modders/machinist/ than just about anywhere.

I bet if someone here made a straightforward 21700 P60 body & tailcap, that would fit Surefire & Solarforce heads,,
    they would sell a ton =$$$

I'll take two

Anyone else interested??

add: I put this thread here so it wouldn't get lost

Default Re: Possible 21700 P60 body & tailcap?

I'd see if MartinDWhite could bore a three cell SF body from the head end, and run a spacer. He did me an MD3 Malkoff body that way, to run 21700... I'm out right now or I'd micrometer one for you to see if the thickness is there. I'll check back in once home where my tools are. (I have a 9P in my car, but no micrometer... 😁
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Have you looked at Texas Lumens? They make some reasonably priced 21700 P60 hosts.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Have you looked at Texas Lumens? They make some reasonably priced 21700 P60 hosts.
    I suppose it is reasonable for a totally custom flashlight maker...but it's more than many Surefires. Also they seem to list only a 20700 battery option in addition to their 18650 offerings. I suppose it could just be a "typo" but it is across the site. They call it the Battery bore...so I wouldn't be so sure there.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfooted View Post
    I suppose it is reasonable for a totally custom flashlight maker...but it's more than many Surefires. Also they seem to list only a 20700 battery option in addition to their 18650 offerings. I suppose it could just be a "typo" but it is across the site. They call it the Battery bore...so I wouldn't be so sure there.
    Hmm you're right. Seems odd since 20700 is not nearly as popular of a battery size as 21700. You could always email them and see if they'll bore one out for 21700. Looks like there's enough material to handle a loss of 0.5mm wall thickness.

That doesn't help the price situation though.

It's possible to use 21700 cell in 26650 body with spacer.
    Z44 hed will fit also possible to use either 26650 or 21700 cell up to 72mm length.

It appears, to my non- calibrated, non-machinist eye that a 9P could be bored to accept a 21700 cell. The thinnest points would be under the flats of the body, but I think it would be close. You'd have .005/.010 under each flat. You would absolutely need a spacer "dummy cell", the tailcap o-ring area is way too small.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    It appears, to my non- calibrated, non-machinist eye that a 9P could be bored to accept a 21700 cell. The thinnest points would be under the flats of the body, but I think it would be close. You'd have .005/.010 under each flat. You would absolutely need a spacer "dummy cell", the tailcap o-ring area is way too small.
    That method works fine with Malkoff because it's easy to take the head off for battery changes, but it seems like it'd be a deal breaker to remove the bezel and drop in from a 9P every battery change.

I've been wanting a 20700/21700 P60 since the batteries came out. Texas Lumens started the builds when only the 20700 was on the market. Specifically a 20700 body for the Sanyo NCR20700B. His stuff is thick enough to be bored 21700 an is an option he has. A 15 amp 4000 mah battery would cover all my dropins. I've asked Convoy and Lumen Factory if they would consider. Convoy declined to build a clone of some one else's style. P60 is old and maybe a bit dated, but it's still very viable. Tail cap and body threads would need to be enlarged but when I was doing a model the tube diameter would bump from 25.4mm to 28mm's. Very close to original size for much high capacity. The next year 21700's came out, an extra 1mm is not a deal breaker. I do believe that the host would need some more mass for heat from hotter dropins. I've got a 4.5 amp XHP 50.2 that heats it's Solarforce L2P host but has little excess heat in the heavier P1d.

Will Texas Lumens hosts accept either Malkoff or SF heads and tails?
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

RandomDan- I agree, but was trying to stay within the Orbital's guidelines. The only alternative I see to use SF tailcaps and heads is maybe something like TB's split body (TBSB) for the e-series heads and tails. The 21700 is bigger in diameter than the SF tailcap o-ring groove recess.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    RandomDan- I agree, but was trying to stay within the Orbital's guidelines. The only alternative I see to use SF tailcaps and heads is maybe something like TB's split body (TBSB) for the e-series heads and tails. The 21700 is bigger in diameter than the SF tailcap o-ring groove recess.
    I think we interpreted the OP differently. It sounds to me like he is looking for SF head compatibility with a newly produced body and tailcap. Hopefully orbital will jump back in and clarify.

While we are mentioning Surefire and Solarforce heads, don't forget Lumen Factory. They just came out with some D36 stuff.

.. It sounds to me like he is looking for SF head compatibility with a newly produced body and tailcap..
    +

Yep, a newly produced body & tailcap is what I'm leaning toward (machinist wording in op)
    Something clean/utility in function, doesn't need to be tacticalX

Don't get me wrong, if you can modify something, that's respectable.
    ..looking for a bit more plug-in play

Party Re: Possible 21700 P60 body & tailcap?

Jetbeam TH20 Guardian

I think we interpreted the OP differently. It sounds to me like he is looking for SF head compatibility with a newly produced body and tailcap. Hopefully orbital will jump back in and clarify.
    👍😁 As long as we're all brainstorming in the same direction.

Flashaholic*

I noticed FiveMega posted earlier,I wonder if you did a group-buy if he would be willing to do it?

I have one of Fivemega's 1x26650 E-head lights, and one of his 2x26650 C-head lights. Wonderful lights, very versatile, long runtimes. The 1x26650 has a KX2 (E2L) bezel on it. If I want to attach a P60 device, I can put an E2C adapter on it. The 2x26650 has a Z44 bezel with whatever Malkoff I want to run.

I think it would be great if Fivemega came out with 21700 versions of each (generously dimensioned enough to handle all protected-cell versions).

Flashaholic*

Two of my most-used lights have his bodies on them; great build.

Quote Originally Posted by Strintguy View Post
    I noticed FiveMega posted earlier,I wonder if you did a group-buy if he would be willing to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I have one of Fivemega's 1x26650 E-head lights, and one of his 2x26650 C-head lights. Wonderful lights, very versatile, long runtimes. The 1x26650 has a KX2 (E2L) bezel on it. If I want to attach a P60 device, I can put an E2C adapter on it. The 2x26650 has a Z44 bezel with whatever Malkoff I want to run.

I think it would be great if Fivemega came out with 21700 versions of each (generously dimensioned enough to handle all protected-cell versions).
    Two of my most-used lights have his bodies on them; great build.
    +

for sure!

I think several e-mails from our forum to Lumen Factory might also be a possibility. They do have their own style and are to only manufacturer still dedicated to the Surefire compatibility. Maybe some ideas as to what we would want? Then a few polite inquiries into the possibility. They have responded to my e-mails within 1-2 days.

Enlightened

That's a great idea. I've picked up several FiveMega bodies to fit my E- and C-series SF lights. If FiveMega can manufacture a 1x21700 body to fit C-series heads and tailcaps, I would be all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by texas cop View Post
    I think several e-mails from our forum to Lumen Factory might also be a possibility. They do have their own style and are to only manufacturer still dedicated to the Surefire compatibility. Maybe some ideas as to what we would want? Then a few polite inquiries into the possibility. They have responded to my e-mails within 1-2 days.
    I have several of their e-series-compatible bodies and heads so this would be a great suggestion. Pls keep us posted when you hear back from them.
    SF 6P, E1e, E2e, C2, M2, M3, Z2, HDS60GT, Zebralight 600W MKIV., EDC rotation: Nitecore TIP, Lumintop Geek, MecArmy PT16, SF Titan Plus, Jetbeam RRT-0, SF E1e w/ Tana Nichia B219 TripLED

*Flashaholic*

I want a 21mm body from the ground up. Not a modded 9P or such.

that will be my next purchase. Nothing else.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Thumbs up Re: Possible 21700 P60 body & tailcap?

As an owner of MANY FIVEMEGA lights, I’d take AT LEAST one! Purpose built D26 (P60) Host for the diameter and length of the 21700 would be amazing! I know the 21700s have a hard time/won’t fit in most of my regular chargers. I don’t want to have to worry about cell crush running a 21700 with spacer in a 26650 light.

FIVEMEGA—please help us out!!!

Could be similar to this - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad-By-Fivemega or even the previous FIVEMEGA version of 1x26650 C head.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

CPF has more enthusiast/modders/machinist/ than just about anywhere.

I bet if someone here made a straightforward 21700 P60 body & tailcap, that would fit Surefire & Solarforce heads,,
    they would sell a ton =$$$

I'll take two

Anyone else interested??

add: I put this thread here so it wouldn't get lost
    "But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here." 2 Tim 3:1

anything from Five Mega?.
    thanks.
    Malkoff M61T, Jetbeam E21A 5700k 9080 AAA.

Got an email response from Texas lumens. None of their can be made 21700 compatible but they are working on some designs that will be.