Jetbeam        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jetbeam RRT01 2020 - Now it has a clicky!

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT01 2020 - Now it has a clicky!

Fasttech is listing the Nichia 219C color temp at 3500K. Thatís about perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg0330 View Post
    Fasttech is listing the Nichia 219C color temp at 3500K. Thatís about perfect for me.
    This sounds about right based on the pic I saw on their Instagram. I was hoping it would be more around 4000, but 3500 still sounds good to me.

I have 3 2019 rrt01ís modifies with sst-20ís iíd love nothing more than to upgrade them to support 18650ís. Does anyone know if the extension tubes are available for purchase on their own?

+

If using a Panasonic 18500 in your 2020 RRT01, you will need to add a drop of solder to the positive of your cell to make it work.
    There's anti-polarity protection and the stock Panasonic doesn't complete.

this is really no big deal & it's part of our hobby

Tip: w/ fine sandpaper, key the positive of the cell in a couple directions, this will ensure the solder drop has something to bite into & stay intact.
    then w/ the cell straight up & down , sand a nice flat spot on you solder drop (having the sandpaper on a hard surface)

It looks factory & it took me just over 5 minutes to do two Panasonics,,, nice 18500 light!

Finally got a shipping notice

Quote Originally Posted by boo5ted View Post
    Cool thanks, if I got a rotary I'd want it to be stepless.
    I don't mind steps if they are small logarithmic increments.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I don't mind steps if they are small logarithmic increments.
    If you have not tried smooth stepless ramping, you dont know what you are missing.

I tried both, I much prefer RRT-01 Stepless ramping.

I sold my HDS Stepped Rotary when I discovered RRT-01 Stepless ramping.

the stepless RRT-01 is also a lot less expensive than the 24 step HDS

and fwiw, the HDS logarithmic steps, create 12 separate levels below 2 lumens..

From my experience, I find Logarithmic steps create too close spacing at lower levels, and too wide spacing at higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    If you have not tried smooth stepless ramping, you dont know what you are missing.

I tried both, I much prefer RRT-01 Stepless ramping.

I sold my HDS Stepped Rotary when I discovered RRT-01 Stepless ramping.

the stepless RRT-01 is also a lot less expensive than the 24 step HDS

and fwiw, the HDS logarithmic steps, create 12 separate levels below 2 lumens..

From my experience, I find Logarithmic steps create too close spacing at lower levels, and too wide spacing at higher levels.
    I have both. No real preference. I have a v11 too

I've used both an HDS and a SWM V11R and I don't really understand why stepless is preferred. I've never been in a situation where one mode was too dim but the next too bright. They could probably be spaced out even further before that became an issue.

Is it just an aesthetic thing that you like the look of continuous ramping?
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Is it just an aesthetic thing that you like the look of continuous ramping?
    I disliked the stepped ramping so much that I would close my eyes when turning the dial

I felt like the stepped hops were similar to flashes from a strobe.

I also felt that using 50% of the dial below 2 lumens was unnecessarily close spacing. 12 levels below 2 lumens was a waste of dial, to me.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-01-2020 at 01:25 PM.

I disliked the stepped ramping so much that I would close my eyes when turning the dial

I felt like the stepped hops were similar to flashes from a strobe.

I also felt that using 50% of the dial below 2 lumens was unnecessarily close spacing. 12 levels below 2 lumens was a waste of dial, to me.
    Oh dang. Well you're definitely better of with the magnetic ring rotaries then. I never would have imagined that being a problem.

I don't have a strong preferance, but I prefer discrete steps because it's easier to predict runtime when you can know exactly which level yu're in.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I prefer discrete steps because it's easier to predict runtime when you can know exactly which level yu're in.
    I respect that you choose what you like best

runtime is a non issue for me
    I carry spare batteries, and when a light gets dim, I change them.. I essentially have unlimited runtime

I use 1200mAh 18350 in my RRT-01.. HDS is not compatible with that size, they are limited to 16340.

it is possible to buy an 18650 tube for HDS, it costs $212.. (I can buy two 2020 RT-01 for that price, and have money left over)
    the 2020 RRT-01 also offers an 18650 option, for $10 extra

but, lets not fall into a "which is better" dichotomy... Both is Better :-)

we cant know what it feels like to own and use a light, just by reading about it
    we pretty much have to buy and try

there is no one perfect light for all scenarios
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-01-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    This is the worst forum ever. I promised myself I wasnít buying anymore stuff. Hate you guys.

(Ordered Nichia with 18650 extension)
    :í(
    Very yellow beam. Maybe 3700-4000. Gotta find an 18650 that fits. Got one that needs a blob& another is too fat.

Nice overall. First impression.

Very yellow beam. Maybe 3700-4000. Gotta find an 18650 that fits. Got one that needs a blob& another is too fat.

Nice overall. First impression.
    The Nichia beam color is less than 4000k for sure. Slightly too yellow for me but ok. It is amazing how low the led lumens can get. This light can put out a thousandth of a lumen putting a Zebrlight to shame. The led can be turned down to barely glow. With both extenders and an 18650 itís length is perfect for my big hands to hold and work the control ring but the light feels heavy overall, front heavy. Iím going to keep my RRT in the 18650 config for runtime and feel.
    If you are the type of person who likes lights that can go very low lumens, I think this light is unbeatable.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

fwiw, the Nichia in the 2020 RRT-01 is Not High CRI, it is Low CRI

4000k, -26 CRI R9, duv 0.0040, CRI Ra 70

26 or 70 CRI rating ? I guess itís a good fog cutter then.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Minescence View Post
    26 or 70 CRI rating ? I guess itís a good fog cutter then.
    negative 26 CRI R9 (Red output)

70 CRI Ra (average CRI of the first 8 cri factors, of which there are 14 in total, and R9 is the one that is most important, to me.)

example of an LED with negative 28 R9, 70 CRI Ra, and duv (tint) above the BBL:

example of a High CRI LED with positive R9 of 97, CRI Ra of 97, and duv (tint) below the BBL

positive duv numbers are on the green side of the BBL, I avoid those

Weird. They claim 90 cri.

Weird. They claim 90 cri.
    yes, disappointingly inaccurate

Unenlightened

Here is further proof that the RRT01 clearly isn't high cri (compared to a HDS with a SST-20 emitter with 4000K on the right side):
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The white balance of the camera is set so 3700K.
    The RRT01 feels very sturdy thought and i really like the rotary control and how low the lowest settings are. Also the light is very bright. On the downside it doesn't tailstand perfecly.

The photo shows the kelvin temp to be below 4000k but will not tell if it is hiCRI or not.

I looked at the official JetBeam web sight http://www.jetbeamlight.com/products_show312.html and there is no mention of the RRT01 being high CRI even though a Nichia 219C emitter is an option (which to most who follow such things, they would assume incorrectly high CRI). Same on Amazon. Neal's Gadgets and Battery Junction state "Choose your preferred CRI (color rendering index) with your choice in LED: the CREE XP-L offers 80+ CRI while the Nichia 219C is 90+ for vivid color accuracy." I would assume since the wording in both places is verbatim, that this was supplied by the manufacturer, but again, not necessarily so.

It is highly doubtful that JetBeam used different Nichia 219C emitters for different distributors, but certainly possible.

This is where bin coding is especially important. If you look at the Nichia data sheet you will see the 219C can be anywhere from 70-90 CRI depending upon the bin code (don't trust data sheets though... think of them as a very rough guide, but you get the point).

http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/products/led_spec/NVSL219CT-E(3484H)R70%20R8000%20R9050.pdf

At this point, one would have to be put one an integrating sphere to know for sure... but that will only tell us what that one particular RRT01 has in it. If a particularly large bin code was purchased or several bin codes, there can be a pretty big variance in what consumers get in their hands. It could also be that JetBeam originally was using a particular bin code (9080) and then couldn't get more of those, so switched to another bin code, changed their web site to reflect that, but didn't inform all their distributors. All of this is pure speculation. Did JetBeam advertise it as high CRI on their official web sight? The Wayback machine didn't archive it. https://archive.org/web/

I'll try to remember to throw a 2020 model on the sphere next Monday and see what is currently being used. It very well could be high CRI. Will just have to see.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I'll try to remember to throw a 2020 model on the sphere next Monday and see what is currently being used.
    sadly, testing confirmed the Nichia in the 2020 is not High CRI

I like my lights modded to sw45k :-)

In this case my Jetbeam's lumens dropped by 40% and the lumens measured at the hotspot on the wall was also lower by a similar amount.
    (I had hoped otherwise, but still happier w High CRI)

Last edited by jon_slider; 08-18-2020 at 02:17 PM.

sadly, testing confirmed the Nichia in the 2020 is not High CRI

I like my lights modded to sw45k :-)

In this case my Jetbeam's lumens dropped by 40% and the lumens measured at the hotspot on the wall was also lower by a similar amount.
    (I had hoped otherwise, but still happier w High CRI)
    Yep. 70 CRI.
    I play with dead things

Boo. Iím digging the light.

Iím digging the light.
    glad youre having fun with different choices

fwiw, I tested a 2019 RRT-01 for output recently
    w18350
    stock was 550 initial lumens
    more than double the output of an HDS 250, for less than 1/3 the price.

w sw45k I got 315 lumens

the mod is not difficult, I will be happy to help
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-28-2020 at 08:58 AM.

glad youre having fun with different choices

fwiw, I tested a 2019 RRT-01 for output recently
    w18350
    stock was 550 initial lumens

w sw45k I got 315 lumens

the mod is not difficult, I will be happy to help
    Appreciate the offer but I will leave it stock. I find it somewhat awkward to use with the button on the tail and magnetic ring on the front, but some of that probably has to do with using a Rotary for a decade... and since I have... urm... well over a dozen Rotaries with a huge variety of emitters in them I have more choices than any sane person needs (though we both know I am not sane).

Your reading of 550 is very much right on. I'm sure you saw the sphere data I posted... Did some research on the emitter using the data gained... i.e. can pretty much tell the exact bin code on the emitter... which kind of left me scratching my head.
    I play with dead things

my meter is calibrated to an HDS
    thanks for taking the time to test the Nichia version.

Some of my RRT-01 in stock form (xm-l) versions, do achieve the earlier mfg spec of 600 lumens, but I dont expect to see the claimed 950 lumens from a Nichia.

Specs are not reliable.. trust, but verify.

If there has to be a button, I think the HDS config is more ergonomic

I actually still prefer the NoButton option.. 2019 RRT-01 and earlier.
    It is the most muggle friendly KISS UI I know.. can hand it to a child, without a manual nor explanation, and they will figure it out..

where the (buttonless) front end dial really shines, is on the quick draw.. LOL
    whip it out, shine about, and reclip to pocket, without ever changing grip.

There is also a shorter pocket clip option.. that I prefer. I especially like that the clips are screwed on..

example of long and short clip
    left is 2019 RRT-01, right is 2012 RRT-01, the clip hole spacing is the same, interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Firelight2
    I found a shorter clip in one of my boxes from some older model Jetbeam and installed it. Aesthetically, it looks identical, but is much shorter. It fully clears the ring.
    * As an anti-roll device the shorter clip is much better. It doesn't interfere with the ring action. ... I prefer the shorter clip in this light.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Some of my RRT-01 in stock form (xm-l) versions, do achieve the earlier mfg spec of 600 lumens, but I dont expect to see the claimed 950 lumens from a Nichia.

Specs are not reliable.. trust, but verify.

If there has to be a button, I think the HDS config is more ergonomic

I actually still prefer the NoButton option.. 2019 RRT-01 and earlier.
    It is the most muggle friendly KISS UI I know.. can hand it to a child, without a manual nor explanation, and they will figure it out..

where the (buttonless) front end dial really shines, is on the quick draw.. LOL
    whip it out, shine about, and reclip to pocket, without ever changing grip.

There is also a shorter pocket clip option.. that I prefer. I especially like that the clips are screwed on..

There is basically no way that Nichia is going to reach 950 lumens for longer than about 2 seconds. The best bin code this emitter could possibly be is a D260 and R70.Driven at 700mA you would expect this led to produced between 260-280 lumens. We measured 275 lumens, but not the current. Given our recorded output was 275 lumens on a 123 battery, although we didnít measure the current in the led, it is reasonable to assume it is around 700mA.

The same bin code can be expected to produce roughly 1.9 times as many lumens at roughly 1500mA. We measured 525 lumens which would correlate to a drive current of roughly 1500mA for the same bin code. In order to get to the published 950 lumens would require a drive current well in excess of 3000mA. Extrapolating the curve indicates somewhere around 3500mA. (The curve on Nichiaís data sheet for this led ends at around 2400mA.)

I don't trust anything written on the box of any light coming out from China. Been in the flashlight game too long for that! LOL! Even the data sheets for emitters have to be taken with a very large grain of salt. The wesite talks about the great constant current, but one can see from the runtime graph... it isn't very constant. LOL! And I notice the flicker on very low settings which isn't PWM but indicative of an unstable driver. My best guess is that at mid levels, the regulation will be better (pulling 700mA) but actually isn't constant current when pulling above this.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the light. It is a cool light and I will keep it in my collection, but their marketing people were... lets say "exceedingly optimistic" when writing about it. It is also why the FL-1 standard doesn't really mean anything. Can put wild claims on the box, say it is using the FL-1 standard, and the majority of folks will believe it. The Chinese learned from US politicians.

The short looks to be a better option. The longer clip does get in the way of the magnetic ring. I don't have the no button option, but I can certainly see where that would be better. It does appear there is an indent on this one where one could "click" the light on, then turn the ring to where it is off (though I don't know if it is still drawing power and if so, how much in that state), but the ring extremely easy to move, and with the relatively short travel distance of the ring, I would worry it could come on in the pocket and go to a higher than I need to illuminate the inside of my pocket setting.
    I play with dead things

> The short looks to be a better option. The longer clip does get in the way of the magnetic ring.

short clips are available from info@jetbeamlight.com

> It does appear there is an indent on this one where one could "click" the light on, then turn the ring to where it is off (though I don't know if it is still drawing power and if so, how much in that state)

the parasitic drain on the no button versions is mentioned here:

Quote Originally Posted by TIP AND RING View Post
    Parasitic drain on these should not exceed 65ua. If you find it exceeds 65 micro amps on standby it has a problem. Jetbeam replaced mine in 2013 because of excessive standby current draw. Still one of my favorite lights .
    that is a reference to a 2012 RRT-01
    the newer models use the same driver afaict

I read this elsewhere:
    ďboth 2012 and 2019 have a parasitic drain that will kill a battery in about 1 1/2 years. (about 50uA) ď

> the [2020] ring extremely easy to move

I see a lot of variation in the amount of factory grease, and in the firmness of the detente at off
    my solution is to repack the control ring with Nyogel 767a, which produces a damping effect, so the ring wont move unintentionally

Default Jetbeam RRT01 2020 - Now it has a clicky!

Mine got left on at the button & off at the ring. Battery went dead. Had to recharge. Havenít had it for 1 1/2 years

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast