The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Please suggest light to carry in vehicle - with size requirement

Default Please suggest light to carry in vehicle - with size requirement

I'm outfitting a new Jeep and I'd like to utilize a specific mount that accepts Maglite 'D' size units, see here:

Features I'm interested in:

2-3 dimming level, more is ok
    Adjustable beam, I currently carry an LED Lenser and the beam focus is, IMHO, pretty nice with a smooth pattern
    Stay around the 2-D Maglite length (I believe the picture is showing a 3-D)
    Barrel diameter on the Maglite is listed as 39.67mm, so as long as it's close to that it should work

Thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: Please suggest light to carry in vehicle - with size requirement

I take it you DO NOT want it to be a Maglite D cell then? There new ones have everything you listed that you are after.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

It sound like the Maglite ML300LX 2D LED Flashlight might meet your needs.

Three modes, just under 500 lumens on high, adjustable beam and similar size as standard D cell.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I take it you DO NOT want it to be a Maglite D cell then? There new ones have everything you listed that you are after.
    I won' rule out the Maglite but I don't mind going upmarket to get:

- more power
    - a smooth light distribution/pattern (I am only familiar with the beam focus on some older Maglite's and it's not great compared to my LED Lenser, I'll read reviews on the ML300LX)
    - ability to use lithium cells so the light performs well during winter months

+1 on the ML300LX, though I would get some AA to D cell adapters and run it on energizer ultimate lithium AA's which won't leak and will stand up to extreme temps encountered in vehicle storage.

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    +1 on the ML300LX, though I would get some AA to D cell adapters and run it on energizer ultimate lithium AA's which won't leak and will stand up to extreme temps encountered in vehicle storage.

+1 I also run my truck light like that It's a ML50L 2 cell C with the AA adapters(my ML300XL wouldn't fit In the center counsel) but, I also run my ML300XL with AA adapters as well very happy with both light's.

You can put a malkoff or adventure sports dropin to get more output from a stock mag
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Yes but only with the incandescent models. Just so OP is aware
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

IMO the Surefire G2X Pro is one of the best vehicle lights as the CR123 batteries are not affected (at least as much) by extreme temperatures. Then in addition, something like a Maglite rechargeable connected to the 12 volt DC for regular use, always charged and ready to go.