Please suggest light to carry in vehicle - with size requirement

LanceMagnum

Newly Enlightened
I'm outfitting a new Jeep and I'd like to utilize a specific mount that accepts Maglite 'D' size units, see here:

quadratec-flashlight-holder-jl-jt-12120-0793-installed-kit.jpg

Features I'm interested in:

2-3 dimming level, more is ok
Adjustable beam, I currently carry an LED Lenser and the beam focus is, IMHO, pretty nice with a smooth pattern
Stay around the 2-D Maglite length (I believe the picture is showing a 3-D)
Barrel diameter on the Maglite is listed as 39.67mm, so as long as it's close to that it should work

Thanks in advance for your help

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I take it you DO NOT want it to be a Maglite D cell then? There new ones have everything you listed that you are after.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sound like the Maglite ML300LX 2D LED Flashlight might meet your needs.

Three modes, just under 500 lumens on high, adjustable beam and similar size as standard D cell.

LanceMagnum

Newly Enlightened
I take it you DO NOT want it to be a Maglite D cell then? There new ones have everything you listed that you are after.

I won' rule out the Maglite but I don't mind going upmarket to get:

- more power
- a smooth light distribution/pattern (I am only familiar with the beam focus on some older Maglite's and it's not great compared to my LED Lenser, I'll read reviews on the ML300LX)
- ability to use lithium cells so the light performs well during winter months

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the ML300LX, though I would get some AA to D cell adapters and run it on energizer ultimate lithium AA's which won't leak and will stand up to extreme temps encountered in vehicle storage.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the ML300LX, though I would get some AA to D cell adapters and run it on energizer ultimate lithium AA's which won't leak and will stand up to extreme temps encountered in vehicle storage.

+1 I also run my truck light like that It's a ML50L 2 cell C with the AA adapters(my ML300XL wouldn't fit In the center counsel) but, I also run my ML300XL with AA adapters as well very happy with both light's.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put a malkoff or adventure sports dropin to get more output from a stock mag

GoVegan

Enlightened
IMO the Surefire G2X Pro is one of the best vehicle lights as the CR123 batteries are not affected (at least as much) by extreme temperatures. Then in addition, something like a Maglite rechargeable connected to the 12 volt DC for regular use, always charged and ready to go.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---Vehicle Light Suggestion---

A bit out of bounds as per your preferred specifications but maybe you will like it. For my Jeep I decided to include an older StreamLight WayPoint. It runs on four C batteries and/or the 12-volt socket (cigarette lighter). I added a twelve foot extension cord so that I can run the light off of the 12-volt socket to any part of the exterior of the vehicle as needed without using the WayPoint's batteries.

Since I all ready have a number of lighting options in the Jeep at any given time I thought a vehicle powered light that also takes C batteries would add more capability and options. So far I have used it as a spot light many times while driving just for fun and also to change my brother-in-law's tire on a cold rainy night.

Note: the beater flashlight I reach for most in the glove box is an Ozark Trail OT-750L (USB rechargeable) I bought from Walmart a few years ago for about $25. Surprisingly it is still going strong, even in the cold. Initially I bought that for the Jeep because I did not want to keep more expensive lights in my vehicle.