HDS Systems        

Thread: Advice - why do I need (another) knife?

Enlightened

Default Advice - why do I need (another) knife?

Need advice from yíall.

I like to be clear about needs vs wants. Last night I spent some time looking at the bark river site and decided I ďneedĒ an STS-7.5. But I need help figuring out why, because surely it canít be a Ďwantí that Iíve confused with a Ďneedí :-)

I like nice stuff, especially made by small / family shops, and appreciate balancing solid design with advanced techniques / technology. My flashlights are from HDS & McGizmo, my pack is from McHale, my car is from Germany, my radio is from Elecraft, etc. Iím not rich, but I deploy such disposable income as I have to buy fewer things & aim for the best when I do make a purchase.

Looking for Ďneedsí... I spend some time in the backcountry, but I donít go that far. If Iím in good enough shape to build a shelter with a knife Iím probably also able to walk out. If I canít walk I can probably crawl the the top of a hill and hit the SOS button on my satellite beacon. I like to be low impact, so if I want a fire Iím going to use small branches already down I can break with my hands. I live in a nice neighbourhood with little in the way of random safety threats, and Iím under no illusions about my abilities - if Iím dealing with an armed intruder I donít have the training / skills to gain advantage with a knife anyway and would use other strategies. If Iím hiking and encounter a predator intent on making me lunch bear spray is more likely effective. I work in an office so Iím not likely to EDC a 7Ē+ blade - and in any case I have a small spyderco folder in an unusual steel that is sufficient for chopping up an apple at lunchtime.

So... help, and thanks in advance :-)

Default Re: Advice - why do I need (another) knife?

Clearly you like quality stuff even when you donít need it. So if you like the knife, get it. Sell it if you end up not liking it.

Life is short, brother. Get your knife and enjoy it. I have a couple of Bark River fixed blades, even though I am a suburb dwelling office drone. I admit to myself that I probably don't need them, but I justify them by imagining a far fetched scenario in which I could need them. You know like a zombie apocalypse, Martian invasion, or teleportation into a parallel universe in which I am Crocodile Dundee. Yeah, they pretty much live in a drawer slathered in mineral oil, but just in case...
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I probably don't need a fixed blade most of the time either but it is reassuring to have one handy. For what Bark Rivers cost I'd rather buy from a smaller custom knifemaker but that's more of a personal preference thing. If you'll enjoy having and using it then go for it.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Enlightened

Fair point. Iíve been waiting to turn in crocodile Dundee for 40+ years. So far no luck, but always good to be prepared