I think I've finally found the perfect light for me

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously. Sitting here at my desk at work trying to avoid all the negative news, and decided that I needed to share this.

We all need some positives in this time when there's so many negative distractions. No commentary on any of said distractions, but most are negative.

Meanwhile, after 11 years and (literally) tens of thousand$, I think I've finally found the perfect light for me.

The HDS Rotary, sapphire lens, Luminus SST20 emitter, stainless silver bezel and tail, raised button. I just love this thing.

Now it will be disqualified by some of you for, among others, two major factors: no clip and it won't tail stand. So there's a solution for that for you - you can purchase it with the flush switch and there are various clip solutions.

But I don't care about tail standing and I don't use clips. Understand - it's perfect for ME - YMMV.

First of all, it's a really nice looking flashlight. Just different enough from all the other lights out there, but still that familiar HDS profile. I LOVE the stainless tail and am really happy I got this one with the silver tail. (I also got an 18680 rotary with flush switch and silver tail...that's another story). So happy that Dan talked Henry into the silver, stainless tail!

The knurling is clean, grippy, but not rough. And it just looks good.

The photos don't do the tint justice. I've posted comparisons of various emitters elsewhere, but logically you can't really get an accurate representation. Differences in cameras, monitors, etc., will probably cause the image to look different than what the tint looks like to your eyes. What I can tell you is that this SS40 has an amazing neutral, high cri, kind of 'golden' tint to it. SO easy on the eyes. Colors look great. It has a great spot that transitions smoothly to a nice spill. Spot things out a ways while enjoying "situational awareness" from the spill. It's just awesome. All tints might be considered to have some compromise, and I own (just with my HDS stable) Nichia NB4, High Noon, NLT, XPG2, and this SS40. I love triples (and own quite a few high quality ones with amazing emitters), but this beam profile....man, Henry nailed it (for my likes).

If you've ever used a Rotary you know how easy and intuitive the interface is. Hand it to anyone and they can immediately use it effectively. Of course, Henry builds in the ability to customize. Click, twist, whatever - the appropriate level of light is right "at hand." And most flashaholics - old timers - still value a true moonlight as much as the ability to burn paper. Love this low. And the high level is plenty bright enough for me.

Finally, how does your light 'feel' in your hand? Is it easy to find the controls? Is it easy to hold? Is it natural and comfortable to activate, aim, control, etc.? THAT subjective measure - the "feel' - is where this HDS is an absolute home run for me. Hand in pocket, light into my hand, easy to position, button easy to find and depress, rotary control right there if I need it or double press hold for max.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a gushing post, and if you look at my signature line you can see that I'm blessed with an embarrassment of choices. Not as many choices as some of you, but more than I can get around to using. And I have the utmost of respect for all the custom makers, and even my older Surefires, and I have 4 other HDS to choose from:

BUT - when I decide which light I want to use on the early morning jog, or carry during the day, or have at bedside at night....well, this is it. I'm 62 years old and will probably never stop looking and experimenting, but the satisfaction of using this light and the knowledge that it'll probably outlast me will keep it at or near the top of the pile for a long time.

That is all. Just wanted to share. Be safe out there! And make sure you are carrying "The Light That Gets You Home."

EDIT - for what it's worth, I've owned well over a dozen HDS lights through the years. Maybe 2 dozen. This is the best one yet.

9/30 update. Sold the NLT 18650 and the High Noon. The other 3 cover me. Now those other 2 are off making 2 other people happy!

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I unknowingly purchased the same exact configuration, I too love this light. The SS tail and head give it satisfying heft. The tint is very easy on the eyes, the raised button is a pleasure to use. The light just feels of quality, agree with everything you said Dan!!

thaugen

Enlightened
Thanks for this great write-up and pictures! I have almost the same HDS silver tail rotary with a standard lens and flush tail. I agree with you about this being as close to perfect as a light comes.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the title, then your name, and thought, "I bet it's an HDS" then I saw the forum so it couldn't be anything else.
So glad you are now content, apart from a Hound Dog and some Triples my HDSs do everything I need.
Lovely post by the way, nice to read.
P

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well articulated. For me I prefer the 219b, flush tail, and oveready pocket clip, but they're still basically the same thing :thumbsup:

Would you copy this post over to the "why should I buy an HDS" thread? This would be perfect.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well articulated. For me I prefer the 219b, flush tail, and oveready pocket clip, but they're still basically the same thing :thumbsup:

Would you copy this post over to the "why should I buy an HDS" thread? This would be perfect.

Very nice of you to say. Everyone. Humbled by the kind comments, but mindful that HDS is actually the recipient of the kind comments. Gratifying that so many others find the lights to be as satisfying. RD, I'll post it over...thanks!

SmCaudata

Newly Enlightened
Not to derail the positives, but what did you mean by "thats another story" for the 18650? I'm trying to decide on an HDS and I was looking at your configuration but couldn't decide on tube size.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Not to derail the positives, but what did you mean by "thats another story" for the 18650? I'm trying to decide on an HDS and I was looking at your configuration but couldn't decide on tube size.

I have a 18650 NLT, it is awesome. If you need runtime, go with 18650. If you need EDC and portability go with CR123. If you need both, get both! Lol.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny that you post this, because lately I've been thinking the same thing. I received an SS40 Rotary with raise button, and black bezel a few weeks back, and for me it really is near perfect. My only wish is that its high mode was a bit brighter. Maybe like 300 lumens, but tint, color, beam shape and profile, interface, battery chemistry, run time, durability, fit and finish, ergonomics, is about all that I would want in a light.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a 18650 NLT, it is awesome. If you need runtime, go with 18650. If you need EDC and portability go with CR123. If you need both, get both! Lol.

What Brandon said... I could write another post filled with superlatives on the 18650 NLT. I find it to be a more 'specific purpose' light (for my needs.). PSM guided me through choosing this configuration - I wanted it mainly for times when I needed more oomph and longer run times. I bought the flush button to keep the length down. Yeah, I'm one of those who has multiple lights for multiple purposes - the 18680/NLT will be most often used on early morning jog/runs. And the extra size makes it easier to hold when I'm sweaty. But the rotary written about here is as close to a jack of all trades as I've owned.

I just read all your posts to Henry. He has a big smile on his face, and says "Thank you!"

Thank you all for making such cool tools!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Agreed, nice post Dan! I haven't had the chance to use the Luminus emitter you mentioned from HDS but I have had a LOT of HDS over the years, and this new Silvertail NLT325 is overall the best HDS I have had to date. The little tweaks and new options ensure these lights keep getting better. Like you, I have a stable of carefully curated lights I love, but It has been the Silvertail that has found it's way into my pocket every day since it arrived. It's excellent.

One of my buddies who is also a CPFer came over last night and we "played flashlights" over some brews. He has I think four HDS already and after using this new Rotary he went home and immediately ordered a Silvertail NLT of his own. Obviously something special about these lights. Glad you found one that blows your skirt up too Dan!

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I received the silver tail high CRI with flush button on Saturday. It is my first rotary. I really like the beam/tint also. It is actually brighter and throws farther than I expected. It took me a while to buy a rotary because I was so happy with the clicky. I still am, but the rotary does more and I set it up to run similar to my clicky. The ergonomics are so good, but I did put a clip on my clicky and enjoy that sometimes. I will leave the rotary clipless. I am glad I have both and find the HDS to be the ultimate EDC light.

scout24

Flashaholic
LOL! Run4jc is responsible for more than a couple of lights in my collection. You too, PSM. Bad influences... :nana:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Run4jc is responsible for more than a couple of lights in my collection. You too, PSM. Bad influences... :nana:

Aaand back atcha! You've swayed me to buy a time or two. Hey it's a great hobby, could be worse. ;)

And back at both of you! (And that's a good thing.) Hey, it's a great hobby. And when the lights go out....we become very popular.