MODLITE, Cloud Defensive, Elzetta, Malkoff Carry.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi thanks, I hear more about Elzetta and Malkoff on here.

are they a better Tactical EDC/Gun light than Modlite & Cloud Defensive?.

I see the differences in prices too where Modlite and Cloud are like double the price of an Elzetta.

thanks.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Since no one has responded to you, I suppose I will.

I have no experience with Modlight or Cloud Defensive. To me they are newer, unproven, and expensive.
For WML, Surefire/ Arisaka/ Malkoff are pretty hard to beat and are proven entities. Malkoff and Elzetta (and some/ most surefire) are also proven entities, and the basis by which most others are compared if you are talking handheld. Some of the CD and Modlights only allow use of a Li-Ion, which to me is not ideal for WML/ "tactical" situations. It is a nice option, but it is a limiting factor at a higher price point to me. Then there are some customer service complaints that have been discussed elsewhere on the forum.... As Paul Harrell says; "You be the Judge."

Side note, in the UK (and this is a dumb Yank asking) are WMLs popular? My impression is that outside of military they would have limited civilian application. I'd be interested to hear your take.

DevL

Newly Enlightened
hi thanks, I hear more about Elzetta and Malkoff on here.

are they a better Tactical EDC/Gun light than Modlite & Cloud Defensive?.

I see the differences in prices too where Modlite and Cloud are like double the price of an Elzetta.

thanks.

No, IMO, the Elzetta does not hold a candle to Modlite or Cloud Defensive as a weaponlight. The Modlites are just newer and smaller production numbers and thus more expensive. As a weaponlight, it is a better tool than the Elzetta. I dont think a single output head is a good EDC light, though. The Elzetta is not especially high output or long range at all and is a handheld light you can ghetto convert to a weaponlight in a ring mount. A Scout mounting system or other dedicated weapon mount is a better choice. Elzetta s really slightly heavy for what it is and even the spot beam is more like a flood... VERY short throw distance. Also consider the Modlite has a charger and two batteries in a kit for the price. Unfortunately, you cant save money NOT buying a charger and batteries. I now own 4 lithium ion chargers because of that, LOL.

I own LOTS of weaponlights and three Modlites, currently. Im not a fan of the current Arisaka/Malkoff 100% spot beam heads that are the only thing available nowdays. I own 3 Arisaka lights at the moment, and wish they had some heads with some spill like they used to.

I dont use 123 cells in anything but handgun lights and IR lasers at this point. I have no qualms with rechargable liion weaponlights. 18650, 18350, 16650, 16340, they are all good to me. You have to know what batteries to buy and what batteries to stay sway from, but that is the same for any cell of any type (Keeppower is usually the safe and reasonably priced choice).

For the average officer or self defense civilian the advantage in being able to top off a light with a fresh battery and recharge the partially used one far outweighs the long shelf life of 123 cells. Far too many people will not swap out a partially used set of 123s for a fresh pair and limit battery life. Its easy and free to swap in a fresh rechargable. If you were part of a SWAT unit you would get free 123 batteries and swap out with fresh after every call out. For everyone else, rechargeables just make way more sense. There are no real drawbacks other than the need to pop in fresh batteries every year for weapons stored in climate controlled environments and every few months for weapons stored in a vehicle.

People afraid to go to rechargables are dinosaurs like the guys who railed against Aimpoints because iron sights were more reliable 20 years ago. The days of the 123 cell lights are coming to a rapid end, just like AA lights have been eclipsed. Might as well get acquainted with the new tech.

I am very much NOT as big of a stickler for maximum reliability in handhelds as I am for weaponlights. I have carried dozens of handhelds and currently carry a Streamlight HLX as my duty/EDC but have carried Elzetta, Surefire, Fenix, Olight, EagleTac, Malkoff, Streamlight, Primary Arms, Blackhawk... you name it, I carried it as a police patrol officer, a detective, and off duty. IMO a defensive handheld that can be used as a backup handgun light should have a temporary activation that starts at full power and has a low power available in the UI. It should have both momentary and constant on options. It should have a balance between the spot and spill and be neither a flood nor spot light. EDC off-duty for me means a small light and pocketable. The Elzetta is not especially high outout, long throwing, small, lightweight, or inexpensive. It is rugged, but rugged only means so much to me. Within a year I have usually either lost my handheld light or gotten bored and bought something new. The Elzetta is one of those handhelds that has been eclipsed by my 18650 handhelds. Relegated to house drawer or center console emergency light status. I would not buy one new or used. For a "tactical" handheld you want over 500 lumens and over 15,000 candela IMO. Really, over 20,000 candela is preferable and over 600 lumens output. My current carry piece, a Streamlight HLX, cost me under $100, puts out 1000 lumens, and 27,600 candela. The 10 tap configurable UI gives me the levels I need, though I wish the low was lower, the head smaller, and the weight less. When I lost one after leaving it in a suspect vehicle, I actually bought a second one. A rare thing for me to do. Its not the toughest light in the world, but should last a couple years till something better comes out. I also have an HLX rail mount on a budget rifle and reccome them to officers on a budget getting a first weaponlight. Just dont use their tape switch.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks so what about this malkoff then ?

[h=2]Malkoff 18650 XT

Description[/h][FONT=&quot]This flashlight Head has a beam with a nice tight hot spot and minor spill. The output is approximately 700 measured Out the Front lumens on high and 50 OTF lumens on low. The High/Low is controlled by head rotation.
This flashlight will illuminate objects at 1200+ feet. The Lux at one meter is approximately 90,000 (many artifacts on a white wall). Lux with a 1 degree diffuser is 70,000 (some artifacts on a white wall). The Lux with a 5 degree diffuser is 35,000 (no artifacts on a white wall). Both diffusers are included with the head. The tint is 5700K.
The included diffusers are constructed of 0.01" thick polycarbonate and should be installed textured side toward the LED, in front of the lens.
[/FONT]

mikesantor

Enlightened
I have had a Modlite light on my scar17 since the day it was released and it's still going great under the 308 recoil. The guy that owns it does a TON of R&D and really impressed me. He's definitely not someone just trying to make a cash grab. He's doing a lot of research and seems to be putting out great products.