Surefire G2x Tactical vs 6PX heat level question

Bill S

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Surefire G2X Tactical (600 lumen model), and am finding that it gets fairly warm in a few minutes of use. I do like the higher output, and was wondering if their more expensive all metal model 6PX Tactical would run cooler? I'd hate to order the 6PX only to find that it runs just as hot.

Thank you

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Surefire G2X Tactical (600 lumen model), and am finding that it gets fairly warm in a few minutes of use. I do like the higher output, and was wondering if their more expensive all metal model 6PX Tactical would run cooler? I'd hate to order the 6PX only to find that it runs just as hot.

Thank you

It might run a bit cooler since the body is aluminum and would transfer heat to your hand as well as the air around it. Are you finding the light too hot to touch or are you concerned with it failing due to heat?

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED/driver may run cooler on a aluminum host since the heat is dissipated more efficiently through the metal body, but your hands will get hotter and quicker on a metal body also. In this case, metal host is better for the flashlight, but not better for the hand (unless you're in really cold environment :D)

Last edited:

Bill S

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for something cooler running, as I didn't want the flashlight to be damaged - I assume Surefire is aware of the heat issue, but not sure what the light does - shut off, or reduce output?

The light is weapon mounted, so the heat isn't really an issue as far as holding it in my hand or anything.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't aware of any type of thermal issues on the G2X/6PX...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The metal head will transfer heat from the inside better than nitrolon so it may feel even warmer. Kinda like the vent area of a stove feels warmer than the sides. But that is actually a good thing. By "venting" the heat better that means the inside is not over heating.

It's a physics thing that once an LED reaches a certain point of brightness the heat it puts out becomes more noticeable. So heat transfer becomes a necessary thing.