I just exposed myself to a UV LED. Should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrowBreadOnMe

Newly Enlightened
I just got a RovyVon Aurora A5 and was playing around with it. I found a mode for the sidelight that charged the glow-in-the-dark body of the light. I didn't realize this was UV (365nm, 3W) until after exposing myself to it in the following ways:

• I probably spent a few seconds examining the light in this mode, about a foot from my eyes.
  • During this examination I suppose I glanced directly into the LED but not for a prolonged period.
  • I then put it down on my desk, at the periphery of my vision, about 30 inches from my eyes and let it charge up the glowing body while I did some work for something like 10-30 minutes. The LED was in my peripheral vision but I don't think it was pointing directly at my face; perhaps 45 degrees deviation.

After realizing it was UV it occurred to me that UV light from the sun damages the eyes e.g. snowblindness. Should I be worried about my exposure?

Life lesson: Read the manual first.

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you have some potatoes on hand. Once that welders eye kicks in, in around 12 hours you are going to be in a world of hurt

ThrowBreadOnMe

Newly Enlightened
Are you making fun, or do you really think I'm going to get welder's eye? Clearly I'm an idiot so I don't know whether to take this seriously or not.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a good chance you will, and I'm not kidding. UV light is very serious. Like I said get some potatoes. Slice then about a .250 thousands thick and lay them on your eyes if they start to feel like they have glass in them

StagMoose

Enlightened
This might have happened to me once. To be safe, blend an avocado, 1/2 onion, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Drink that down quickly and then go see a doctor if things don't improve.

Tesla

Enlightened
Do you not think you get more UV exposure EVERY DAY when you go outside than this? If you have no problematic symptoms, you should forget about it. OTOH, if you do have any issues, like previously said, go see an eye doctor, even though that would be closing the barn door after the horses are out.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The responses on this thead! lol!

I do have a serious question though. Do you wear glasses that have UV reflective coating on it? If so, then I wouldn't worry too much. I've played around with my glasses and UV light before. I would use UV to light up tritium vials and other florescent stuff, and when I put my glasses in between the light and the object, it completely blocks it. If you don't, and you're really concern, then I would go see an optometrist. You're probably due for an eye exam anyways.

My first thought was "As long as someone didn't see you do it, you should be safe. But if someone saw you, the sex offender registry is in your future." :D

I think you will be fine, since the only direct exposure you had was for a few seconds. There is a tremendous drop off in light energy as you move to the side. You will know by tomorrow morning. Wait? That's today.

Maybe Bread is off to the ophthalmologist?

jrgold

Enlightened
the secondary uv emitter on the rovyvon a5 isn't very powerful. From what you described i wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a RovyVon Aurora A5 and was playing around with it. I found a mode for the sidelight that charged the glow-in-the-dark body of the light. I didn't realize this was UV (365nm, 3W) until after exposing myself to it in the following ways:

• I probably spent a few seconds examining the light in this mode, about a foot from my eyes.
  • During this examination I suppose I glanced directly into the LED but not for a prolonged period.
  • I then put it down on my desk, at the periphery of my vision, about 30 inches from my eyes and let it charge up the glowing body while I did some work for something like 10-30 minutes. The LED was in my peripheral vision but I don't think it was pointing directly at my face; perhaps 45 degrees deviation.

After realizing it was UV it occurred to me that UV light from the sun damages the eyes e.g. snowblindness. Should I be worried about my exposure?

Life lesson: Read the manual first.

i've done a lot more with uv leds, than you did above, much more, never had any eye pain, or other issues. if you had been exposed to uvc that would be bad, but 365nm is not something i worry

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was going to post the same. It's not very strong and I'm sure if you stared at it for awhile it might do something but honestly your probably fine. But have to say as a thermal spray operator I have burned my eyes quite a bit. And it AINT fun. No TV, driving with lights coming at you is a treat and sleeping with tea bags on your eyes.Oh the good old days 😂😂

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I glanced at the sun once. I've burned my eyes welding/being around welding several times. I'm sure you will be fine. If you got burned the potato thing mentioned above works wonders

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok not to go off topic but as I say as a thermal spray guy I have torched my eyes dozens of times in my 33 years of doing it. And no that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing it means I do stupid stuff. But ya anyways what's with the potatoes? Never heard that. I always use tea bags or just cold cloth.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consult an eye doctor if you have serious concerns but in all likelyhood you have not been exposed to UV light as the polycarbonate body of the light should block the UV

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok not to go off topic but as I say as a thermal spray guy I have torched my eyes dozens of times in my 33 years of doing it. And no that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing it means I do stupid stuff. But ya anyways what's with the potatoes? Never heard that. I always use tea bags or just cold cloth.
The high concentration of potassium in potatoes helps heal the eye from UV burns.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chief,

You should go go to an eye Dr., ASAP! None of us really know what the hell we are talking about, especially me!
Good advice, this is a flashlight forum. Smart people like doctors probably don't hang out here. [emoji16]

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree with others who say consult with a doctor. Inclusion of a UV option is why I never bothered to "upgrade" to the latest Fenix LD05 flashlight. Had enough issues the last handful of years with my eyes to last a lifetime or two. All better now, Thank God.

Status
Not open for further replies.