[Review] - Fenix PD40R v2.0 - 3000 lumen, Rotary Switch, 21700 , TypeC - by Lock

lock

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, with this review today we will see one of the latest torches born in the Fenix ​​house: we will talk about the Fenix PD40R v2.0: single LED tactical flashlight equipped with a rotating mechanical switch.

The flashlight was provided by Fenix specifically for the review.Here you can find the link of the parent company and here the link of the product

PD40RV2%20(6).jpg

PD40RV2%20(28).jpg

PD40RV2%20(26).jpg

Packaging and content:

The Fenix ​​PD40R v2.0 arrives in a colored cardboard box with all the main characteristics of the product imprinted on it. The package includes:
• "PD40R V2.0" Flashlight
• 21700 Lion Battery (ARB-L21-5000mAh)
• USB Type-C Charging Cable
• Nylon Holster
• Lanyard
• Spare O-Ring
• User manual
• Warranty Card

PD40RV2%20(1).jpg

PD40RV2%20(2).jpg

PD40RV2%20(40).jpg

PD40RV2%20(41).jpg

PD40RV2%20(42).jpg

Main Features
• 3000 Lumen max output
• Rotary Switch
• LUMINUS SST70 LED - 50,000 hours
• 21700 and 18650 battery compatible with AFL-18 Adapter
• Outputs
o Turbo - 3000 lumens/2.4 hours/1328 ft.
o High - 1000 Lumens/3.1 hours/754 ft.
o Med - 350 Lumens/8.3 hours/449 ft.
o Low - 30 Lumens/88.1 hours/147 ft.
o Strobe - 2500 Lumen
• Battery level indicator
• USB Type-C charging
• Free from magnetic field interference
• IP68 Waterproof Rating
• Titanium coated body clip
• Compact size
• Anti-slip and anti roll body design
• Battery Included: Fenix ARB-L21 5000 mAh Rechargeable Battery (21700 Size)
• Reverse polarity protection
• Boot-up battery level indication
• Length: 138 mm
• Head Diameter: 33.2mm
• Body Diameter: 26mm
• Weight: 117g (Excluding battery)

Output Levels and Runtime
The Fenix ​​PD40R v2.0 has an innovative rotary switch that allows you to quickly and precisely select the desired level. The outputs are well spaced and divided as follows:
Turbo: 3000 lm (measured 3080 lm) – 2h40min
High: 1000 lm (measured 1150 lm) – 3h10min
Med: 350 lm (measured 380 lm) – 8h30min
Low: 30 lm (measured 30 lm) – 88h10min
Strobo: 2500 lm (measured 2650 lm)

image001.png

image003.png

image005.png

The body and materials
The Fenix ​​PD40R v2.0 is a 3000 lumen tactical flashlight powered by a 21700.
It is equipped with a practical and handy rotary switch that allows the selection of the output level quickly and precisely. Unlike the rotary switches seen on other flashlights, this one by Fenix ​​is ​​mechanical and non-magnetic: in this way electromagnetic interference is avoided which could compromise the correct operation of precision instruments that are nearby such as compasses or GPS .

PD40RV2%20(3).jpg

PD40RV2%20(4).jpg

PD40RV2%20(29).jpg

The PD40R v2.0 has a Luminus SST70 Cool White LED with a maximum brightness of 40567 candles with a throw of 405 meters. The reflector is deep, smooth and mirror polished. The Bezel is laced, particularly protruding. The lens is thick and with anti-reflective anti-scratch treatment.

PD40RV2%20(7).jpg

PD40RV2%20(8).jpg

PD40RV2%20(21).jpg

Just below the rotary switch is the Type-C charging port well protected by a thick knurled rubber cap. Using a good charger, a full battery charge will take about 4 hours.

PD40RV2%20(20).jpg

PD40RV2%20(30).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(7).jpg

Near the USB port there is a small colored status LED that provides information on the remaining capacity of the cell or on the progress of charging.
Each time the flashlight is turned on, the status LED will light for three seconds based on the remaining charge:
• Green light: charge between 100% and 85%
• Flashing green light: charge between 85% and 50%
• Red light: charge between 50% and 25%
• Flashing red light: charge between 25% and 1%

Fenix%20PD40R%20(1).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(2).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(3).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(4).jpg

Managing the output is very simple. By rotating the rotary switch, it is possible to move from one level to another according to the order: OFF-Low-Med-High-Turbo-Strobo.

The build quality is excellent. The sensation in the hand is of absolute solidity and robustness. You immediately perceive that the product is of quality. The thicknesses are abundant.

For the rotation of the switch you have to make a fair force, but you can also use the thumb and forefinger of the same hand with which you hold the flashlight.

The Fenix ​​PD40R in hand is very firm. The rotary switch is easily detectable and usable even in total darkness or if you wear thick gloves.

PD40RV2%20(22).jpg

PD40RV2%20(23).jpg

PD40RV2%20(24).jpg

PD40RV2%20(25).jpg

The knurling guarantees excellent grip even with damp or wet hands. The lettering is well done, without any smudging.

PD40RV2%20(18).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(5).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(6).jpg

The threads are anodized (therefore the physical lock-out of the interface is possible) and arrive well lubricated. At the positive pole we find a series of gold-plated contacts, while at the negative pole a robust spring.

PD40RV2%20(15).jpg

PD40RV2%20(12).jpg

PD40RV2%20(13).jpg

PD40RV2%20(14).jpg

PD40RV2%20(17).jpg

A performing 21700 5000mAh battery is supplied.

PD40RV2%20(16).jpg

The tailcap is not flat but still allows tailstanding. There are also two large ovens for inserting the laynard.

PD40RV2%20(19).jpg

PD40RV2%20(8).jpg

PD40RV2%20(9).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(9).jpg

The Fenix ​​PD40R v2.0 is water resistant and is submersible up to 2 meters deep (IP68 certified) also the impact resistance is given up to 1 in height.
The belt clip is in steel and titanium plated, quite long and rigid.

PD40RV2%20(5).jpg

PD40RV2%20(31).jpg

Fenix%20PD40R%20(8).jpg

The nylon holster is well made, the extraction and insertion of the torch is comfortable even with one hand.

PD40RV2%20(32).jpg

PD40RV2%20(33).jpg

PD40RV2%20(34).jpg

PD40RV2%20(35).jpg

PD40RV2%20(36).jpg

PD40RV2%20(37).jpg

PD40RV2%20(38).jpg

PD40RV2%20(39).jpg

The Fenix ​​PD40R v2.0 also has an active thermal control that allows you to adjust the output if the flashlight reaches critical levels, and a control on the low-Voltage which will decrease the output without however turning off the light (as long as the battery will still have capacity residual).

Beam, Tint and Beamshots

The beam of the Fenix ​​PD40R v2.0 has a good shot but it is also wide enough to illuminate well nearby. The tint is cool but not excessive, clean and uniform over the whole beam. There are no strange artifacts on the beam or on the tint.
Following some shots in the dark ...

Beamshots #1
gif1.gif

Beamshots #2
gif2.gif

Beamshots #3
gif3.gif

Beamshots #4
gif4.gif

Beamshots #5
gif5.gif

Conclusions
The Fenix ​​PD40R v2.0 is an ideal multifunction tactical flashlight for different scenarios. Thanks to the innovative level selection system, it allows you to manage the interface in a very simple way.

The materials are of high quality, the thicknesses are abundant and in the hand it gives a good feeling of strength.

The tint is cool, not very cold, it makes colors well even in nature. The regulation is excellent.

The beam is well focused, but not excessively. Lighting at 200-300mt distance is not a problem at all. The 40kcd declared are all there, as well as the 3000 lumen at Turbo, albeit in the very first minutes of ignition.

This product has particularly pleased me, everything is treated in detail. Rich and complete packaging. Definitely to be recommended!

Thanks for reading.

bassfanatick

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your detailed review. I still won't buy this light from Fenix, from the fact that output and runtime is misleading. The light does not provide 3000 lumens for 2 hours, it gives it for only about 5 minutes, and does not provide 1000 lumens for 3 hours, it gives that only for about 12 minutes. I have bought multiple lights from Fenix in the past, and most of them are overrated as far as runtime goes. You would think a leader in the lighting industry like Fenix would be more honest in their product advertisement and not be chasing after others by posting misleading numbers.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Nice info here. Thanks. I am still on the fence on this one. I am very tempted to try it. One quibble with the review - this is NOT a tactical flashlight nor does Fenix call it that on the box. A tactical flash light MUST be momentary capable. This is a general-use utility flashlight. Nothing wrong with that not everything must be "tactical".

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for review! But there is something very strange with the runtime graphs: the lumen-hours are MUCH higher at turbomode than high mode! It has to be something wrong with the runtime there.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your detailed review. I still won't buy this light from Fenix, from the fact that output and runtime is misleading. The light does not provide 3000 lumens for 2 hours, it gives it for only about 5 minutes, and does not provide 1000 lumens for 3 hours, it gives that only for about 12 minutes. I have bought multiple lights from Fenix in the past, and most of them are overrated as far as runtime goes. You would think a leader in the lighting industry like Fenix would be more honest in their product advertisement and not be chasing after others by posting misleading numbers.

You are right. Unfortunately this is the case for practically all lights today, at least at turbo mode. And it starts to be common even at the next highest mode as well.

By the way: :welcome:

markr6

Flashaholic
I would definitely buy a neutral white version. Would like to add a rotary switch torch to the collection.

Beckler

Enlightened

Yup I've posted the same thing about Fenix. Nitecore does it too and of course others, and it's intentional deception and lying and needs to stop. I think Fenix had some run time graphs for some models, but I just looked and can't find them. There needs to be a standard for companies to advertise numbers - part of 'ansi fl1'? What the hell does ansi even do - apparently nothing or they would've done it 10 yrs. ago.

hburner

Enlightened
All my fenix lights have a great color, just received my pd40rv2 today and I'm very displeased with the color tint. It's way yellowish. So much so I believe that it is robbing the light of brightness. I guess the tint on LEDs is a roll of the dice in what you may receive. Anyone elses PD40v2 have this issue?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned above, those runtime graphs don't make much sense as turbo mode is giving much higher lumen-hours than high mode.

https://zeroair.org/2021/05/20/fenix-pd40r-v2-0-flashlight-review/

This is another review I found on the PD40r V2.0 showing very detailed runtime plots in turbo and high modes, and those plots look nothing like the ones in this review. Can the OP go into more detail on how these runtime plots were obtained?

3_gun

Enlightened
Fenix and almost everyone else is doing the best they can with guidelines written in 2009.

Runtime

The amount of continuous runtime (in minutes) until the light output drops to 10% of its original value (measured 30 seconds after turning the light on).

To use anything else in your advertised run times would be cutting your own market share. Sadly & more to blame are buyers who read "tested" and blindly believe hype without finding out what "tested" means.
(https://flashlightwiki.com/ANSI-NEMA_FL-1)

Things would be even worse without this "iffy" standard for testing. Some 3rd party testers cool the lights to get brighter but shorter run time graphs. Of course the normals among us are awe struck at how bright 3K/L is for 15sec, then run the light at 100/200L mediums for the rest of the time. THAT'S the level testing should be done on.

Still if you know the standard & testing, the advertised results ARE useful. Just ignore (w/few exceptions) anything 1K/L and above and expect only 75% of the reported run times on levels below high.

Real world; Sofirn IF25a fully charged 4K/mah batt, light on turbo lasted 20min to LVP, out a car window at 60F in 35-40mph breeze. It still got warm. Klarus EP10, over 40min at 1K/L at 70F in a very very light rain on a charged 2k/mah batt. No heat or dimming noticed. Otherwise 99% of the time I'm at 300L or less for under 10minutes .. how about you?

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
Nice info here. Thanks. I am still on the fence on this one. I am very tempted to try it. One quibble with the review - this is NOT a tactical flashlight nor does Fenix call it that on the box. A tactical flash light MUST be momentary capable. This is a general-use utility flashlight. Nothing wrong with that not everything must be "tactical".
I second all of the above. Fresh from checking out the Fenix site, I was looking for a tactical light mostly but not just for grins. Using the Fenix filter tree I chose Tail and side button and among all or several of their tactical lights was listed the PD40R v2.0.

It has all the appearances of being a tactical light but I was really disappointed to find it did not have a tail switch. 3000lm is tempting and I like the rotary switch, but that's a lot of money in my book not to have a tail switch. So I'm put off, and will continue my search. I could circle back at a later date, but I really want a tail switch. Maybe on the v3.0?

Ned

Newly Enlightened
FYI I contacted the Fenix factory seeking data on parasitic drain and they replied quickly. Unfortunately they reported they do not have data on parasitic drain. This is a concern because a light with a magnetic switch certainly must have some standby current. An extensive search on this light turned up several thorough reviews, like the above, but all are surprisingly silent on parasitic drain and or mechanical lockout.
I'm hoping someone with the right skills can measure and report On this. It seems that Fenix doesn't know or doesn't want to share.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI I contacted the Fenix factory seeking data on parasitic drain and they replied quickly. Unfortunately they reported they do not have data on parasitic drain. This is a concern because a light with a magnetic switch certainly must have some standby current. An extensive search on this light turned up several thorough reviews, like the above, but all are surprisingly silent on parasitic drain and or mechanical lockout.
I'm hoping someone with the right skills can measure and report On this. It seems that Fenix doesn't know or doesn't want to share.
Ned -
I didn't read this whole review (I don't do rotary switches), but I did note that Lock says:
"Unlike the rotary switches seen on other flashlights, this one by Fenix is mechanical and non-magnetic"

What magnetic switch are you referencing, or is there other info suggesting the possibility of 'standby drain'?

That aside, if you didn't address this with Fenix-Store specifically, you might want to post this question in their 'manufacturer' forum section, as they are active there and have a good record of researching and answering questions (except for one of mine which got no response, but I think I know why:)

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow I hadn't noticed before that the PD40 had a rotary switch. That makes it a lot more interesting imho.

I have to expect that any light this powerful will overheat and step down within a few minutes at the max level, so asking for continuous runtime at the max level is not so informative. If you can run it for 1 minute on turbo, let it cool down, run it for another minute, etc., and repeat a total of 60 times, that is reasonable to count as an hour of turbo runtime imho.

It wouldn't surprise if there is parasitic drain just because of some always-on microprocessor or whatever, but it's likely to not be much. I have to hope there is a way to measure the battery drain at the tailcap. Measuring it at all brightness levels would allow decent estimates of the runtimes.

Does anyone know if the light can be used as a powerbank? When there is 5000mah of battery capacity I always have to ask that.

71Scamp

Newly Enlightened
I tested my new PD-40R and left if in the "OFF" position on my desk. I picked it up the next day, to get more familiar with it and it didn't operate at all! I assumed I had somehow left it on, so I recharged he 21700 in the Fenix ARE-A2. Yes, I forgot the USB charging port. :<( It still doesn't operate! Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

71Scamp

Newly Enlightened
I tested my new PD-40R and left if in the "OFF" position on my desk. I picked it up the next day, to get more familiar with it and it didn't operate at all! I assumed I had somehow left it on, so I recharged he 21700 in the Fenix ARE-A2. Yes, I forgot the USB charging port. :<( It still doesn't operate! Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

71Scamp

Newly Enlightened
OOPS! I failed to properly tighten the tail cap. :(

As an additional note, for a reason described in a soon to come post, I just ordered a tailcap switch for a Surefire 6P from Malkoff. For grins I will see if it fits my PD-40R. If it does I may use the Fenix as my scooter "headlight", rather than the 6P/Malkoff M361LMH. I'm in a wheelchair. I do like the rotary switch level selection for the "headlight", but a tailcap on/off is still handy. Having a backup is always a good thing. :) Which is why I always carried 6 extra mags for my 1911 when on duty. It was before 9mm's with large cap. mags and projectiles that perform. To anticipate a questions one of my partners asked me. "Why so many?" "Because I'd rather carry ammo I don't need than need ammo I didn't carry!" Never needed it! :)

I pray that you all had a Merry Christmas!
I don't do "happy holidays"!

Keith, 71Scamp

Latest posts