Review: Manker E05 (1xAA-14500, Osram KW Emitter, EDC)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Manker E05 from manker for the review

The E05 is a compact EDC, it features an OSRAM KW CSLNM1.TG emitter powered by an AA/14500 battery.

The E05 comes in this nice metal box.
Manker_E05_01.jpg

Inside: the E05, clip, spare o-rings, lanyard.
Manker_E05_02.jpg

The E05 has a cylindrical design, with some knurling on the tailcap and the body. The light measures 93 mm in length, by 20 mm in diameter. The weight is 37 grams, without battery.
Manker_E05_03.jpg

Manker_E05_04.jpg

Manker_E05_06.jpg

The very small OSRAM emitter, in a OP reflector
Manker_E05_05.jpg

The tailcap is U shaped, and allows for a very wobbly tailstand (since the switch rubber cover protrudes quite a bit) and easy access to the mechanical forward switch.
Manker_E05_07.jpg

Manker_E05_08.jpg

The only part you can take apart in the E05 is the tailcap, with anodised square cut threads.
Manker_E05_09.jpg

The contact points inside the E05. At the positive pole there is a physical polarity inversion protection mechanism, that allows only button top cells to operate.
Manker_E05_10.jpg

Manker_E05_11.jpg

UI
The only point of control of the light is the mechanical forward switch, that allows momentary activation.
The light has 4 modes: low, medium, high, and strobe; in loop. So press slightly the switch, let it go and press it again slightly to cycle through the modes, when you reach the one desired, press fully the switch.
The light has memory for the last used mode.

Beamshots at 0.5 meters
Manker_E05_12.jpg

Manker_E05_13.jpg

Manker_E05_14.jpg

Manker_E05_15.jpg

Despite having such a small Orange Peel reflector, the E05 manages to achieve a good amount of focalisation of the beam, thanks to the very small OSRAM emitter.

Manker_E05_22.jpg

Manker_E05_23.jpg

Manker_E05_24.jpg

Output and runtime
I tried with some of the protected 14500 cells that I own, but they are too long and do not allow the tailcap to be screwed down fully, and so the light doesn't work. So I could only test it with some Nimh batteries: AmazonBasics AA 2000mAh (close enough to be considered a regular Eneloop) and Eneloop PRO AA 2500mAh.
Manker_E05_19.png

Manker_E05_20.png

Manker_E05_21.png

The difference in output between the 2 batteries are within the error of the testing, so they might be identical values in reality.

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
I like the box it comes in it, makes a good impression for a gift.
I do not like the interface with the strobe mode I have to cycle through almost every time when changing brightness to a lower one.
The regulation is flat on the tested levels.
I always like very dim low modes… but on a light with only 3 modes, the low mode is too dim. When I turn it on at low mode during the day, I have a very hard time understanding if it is on or the battery is empty and the light hasn't turned on. I would have rather have a 5-10 lumen mode, instead of the 0.5 one.

Thanks to: AntoLed, Won, Zampa.

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Sounds like 4 modes would be better. 150/60/12/.1 A beacon would be a better option on a small light like that rather than a strobe. Nice looking light though.