Hockey Tape is great for flashlights

avusblue

Enlightened
With three kids that play hockey, we have tons of rolls of hockey tape around. This is the stuff that is a cloth tape, sticky on the back (obviously) but not overly so, and quite tacky on the front. You use it primarily to wrap around the blade and handle of hockey sticks to increase the blade's purchase on the puck, to form a knob around the end of the stick, and to increase the "tackyness" of the grip.

Anywhoo, I have also found it to be ideal to wrap around flashlights, tools, and the like to enhance their "grippability" and to camouflage them (black or dark colored tape), or make them more visible (white tape), as desired. Some benefits to consider:

o Makes it much more comfortable to hold a metal (especially a knurled) flashlight by the teeth.

o Makes it easier to hide a flashlight in a dark recess -- I have a convertible with a black interior, and I like to keep Dorcy AAA's nestled in the door / armrest pulls. Wrapped in black tape, they are practically invisible to peekers, thus reducing risk of theft when the car is parked with the top down.

o Conversely, wrapping one in white or yellow tape makes it easier to find it in a bag or pack.

o The tape is easy to apply and remove (much less sticky than duct tape, for example) and it leaves no residue when removed.

o It is inexpensive, thus you can replace it (or change the color) at your whim.

o The slightly tacky surface makes it easy to grab and hold, to fish it out of a pocket, and/or to keep it from coming out of your pocket (if you're wearing slippery athletic pants, for example).

o The tape serves as an anti-roll mechanism for the light. It stays where you put it.

o Protects the flashlight from scratches, while protecting the flashlight from scratching other stuff, too.

o The tape is stretchy enough that it conforms to compound curves or odd shapes without bunching or wrinkling.

o Makes metal flashlights more comfortable to hold in cold winter temperatures.

o All of the above benefits apply to using hockey tape on various tools, as well.

o Works great on the Arc AAA, Dorcy AAA, Arc LS series, SureFire L4, Infinity Ultra, MiniMags, and I suppose pretty much any flashlight. You can easily split it lengthwise to get the perfect width to wrap a piece around a twisty head or tailswitch.

Overall, give it a try if any of the above benefits sound appealing. If you don't like it, you're only out a couple bucks and no harm done.

Cheers,

Dave

avusblue

Enlightened
Pretty much any sporting goods store, especially one with a hockey flavor. Also try used sports equipment stores (we have a chain called "Play it Again" that specializes in trading in outgrown gear for bigger sizes). You won't have to look too hard.

Cheers,

Dave

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow--cool idea, thanks!

i think this would be great for aluminum bodies in cold temps.

Bob

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
wow--cool idea, thanks!

i think this would be great for aluminum bodies in cold temps.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, that's a great benefit I forgot to mention in my long-winded essay. If you don't mind, I will edit the listing to include it. Here in the State of Hockey, we get plenty of cold temps!!

Dave

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ABTOMAT said:
Sounds interesting. I've been using bike inner-tube sections on some of my larger lights for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

i put some on all of our tec-40's--works great.

Bob

jbrett14

Enlightened
Roy, I like that. After living in Texas for 6 years, I saw firsthand that the people are definitely not into hockey. Most have not even seen a frozen lake. Anyway, the tape is not necessarily "hockey" tape. It is really just general purpose athletic tape that is sold everywhere for almost all sports: Football, Baseball, Volleyball, etc.

LightScene

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Blades said:
I like to use Tommy Tape also. Great stuff. www.tommytape.com
I've found it at Wal-Mart.Blades

[/ QUOTE ]
In what section of Walmart do you find it? Sporting goods, automotive, hardware,?

Glenn

Enlightened
I found "Sport Tape" at my local (PA) WAL-MART in the Sporting Goods section.
It is their own brand (Marketed by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.)
It has on the back: Caution this product contains dry natural rubber.
I guess it's not posioness ??
It works great to make my ARC LS with Twisty easier to use with one hand.
I do not know yet how it will hold up to my saliva.

Glenn

MikeF

Enlightened
iddibhai said: "is this like gaffer's tape?"
Tommy tape is a self-fusing silicone tape that bonds only to itself. It has no additional adhesive. It depends on it's elasticity to hold it in place. Gaffers tape has adhesive that will eventually dry out and create a hard mess if you leave it in place for a long time, like more than a year. Gaffer is exceptional when used for short term uses, and will generally leave no adhesive behind. with Tommy tape, or other self-fusing silicone tapes, there is no adhesive to deteriorate.

Glenn said:"It has on the back: Caution this product contains dry natural rubber.
I guess it's not posioness ??"
There are some people that have an allergic reaction to latex, so for those people it could be hazardous.

Latest posts