Need Durable Headlamp with direct access to Red

snash22

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,

I sail offshore often and during night watch it is very important to have a red lamp so as to not lose night vision. Also access to red has to be direct, no cycling through various levels of white to turn red on and off is critical. It can get wet on a boat, so construction that can withstand rain and saltwater splashes is important.

I'd ike to spend under $30, but will pay a little more if i must.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I can spend $15-30.

2) Format:

____I want a headlamp.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Waterproof – how deep: _Rain, brief submersion from waves____________

I want to be able to turn red on and off without cycling through white.

TIA,

snash22

motigg

Newly Enlightened
Zebra light makes great headlamps and they have a red only one that's now on sale. It's over your budget but meets all other criteria. Very solid headlamps.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Plain red light does not prevent night vision loss; you need a light source that is 660nm or higher (nearly all "red" LEDs are ~630nm, which is technically red-orange) and is so dim that you can't tell that it's red/appears brown. Rigel Systems sells a $30 flashlight for astronomers if you'd like to experience it, but you obviously can't use this kind of light source for any form of navigation or area lighting.

Plain red light is however not visible to many insects, and can light an area without drawing bugs.