Questions about LuxIII & mag reflector

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about maybe making a thrower.. Got a few questions though..

#1 is a DD LuxIII (3cells) as bright as a 3D mag with a 2D bulb in it?

#2 Is there a donut hole beam when focused to the tightest setting when using a non-sputtered reflector like a 5W?

#3 Is there a ton of sidespill like the 5W? Smaller or dimmer?

unnerv

Enlightened
#1 don't know, since I don't have one
#2 you can get it to focus without the donut
#3 the sidespill pretty wide, but is no where near as bright as a 5W, but the hotspot on my 4AA DD LuxIII is twice as bright as the SNII I had, when I measured on the meter.

jtice

Flashaholic
I dont have those lights, but I will bet a nice LuxIII will be brighter. Its a real good thrower.

A LuxIII will have a brighter and tighter hotspot, and throw further than a 5W.
As far as the width of the sidespill, that should be about the same.

The 5W will have a larger hotspot, and should have more,, or rather, brighter spill light.

No doughnut holes at all.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say go for it, It blows my 3D stock mag out of the water!

Using the hotlips and cutting the cam It can focus without any doughnut in the center. There is still a TON of sidespill but I don't have a 5 watt to compare to, but more spill than a stock mag thats for sure.... And plenty enough to see whatever is around.

I did notice some artifacts, so I went ahead and sputtered the reflector, but I don't think it affected the spill much, just the smoothness of the beam especialy in the center.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes, Charlie built one of these for me. Same stuff everyone else is saying.

#1 It is much more bright than the 3D with 2D bulb.

#2 Focuses down to intense hotspot with no hole.

#3 Outstanding spill (about 10 feet across at 10 foot
distance) don't have 5 watt to compare.

Mine came with an Acrylite coated lens and a cutdown stock reflector and the beamspot is very smooth.

It has outstanding performance and runtime. See Roy's plot of the Mr. Bulk DD3DIII.

Britt

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Thinking about maybe making a thrower.. Got a few questions though..

#1 is a DD LuxIII (3cells) as bright as a 3D mag with a 2D bulb in it?

Hell yes!! It's brighter!!

#2 Is there a donut hole beam when focused to the tightest setting when using a non-sputtered reflector like a 5W?
In a word YES. But so what there is plenty of room for focusing.

#3 Is there a ton of sidespill like the 5W? Smaller or dimmer?
Side spill size is about the same between the LUX III's and the 5 watt units, maybe 5-10% difference MAX.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will find the LUX III has a tighter SPOT with the same side spill as a 5 watt LUX.
This is a great mod. Consider the emitter you use carefully. Pick a "K" bin or better so you don't overdrive the LED too much. Also it is pretty easy to put a downboy 1000 in there for regulation.
Don't forget the Flashlight lens "UCL" a must have for this type of mod.
this image is of a direct drive (6 volts) vs a DB1000 (3.6 volt input) Yes they are about the same with the direct drive being a little brighter.
db1000vs6vdirectdrive.jpg

A little glowing epoxy add just for fun.
gloringemit.jpg

Yaesumofo

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used an SX1J-bhin in mine, It is VERY bright when I fierst turn it on on fresh Batts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm building another one right now in a silver 3C mag, but this time it will be regulated and a bit overdriven maybe 1.2 amps consistant and im going for the best Bin I can find (which is the problem at the minute). Where do you get the glowpowder? I remember seeing the link before but I lost it.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first sputtered my reflector I noticed a HUGE difference in throw, but after my second attempt I could not tell a difference in throw at all..

I'll run some more tests when I recieve my sputtered reflector from darkzero, my sputtered reflector, and an unsputtered reflector...Unfortunately I do not have a light meter.

Who has the better powder? The Aqua looks nice from the one website, but they seems to ave many different grades...

I'll probably pick either blue or aqua.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why I asked #1 is beacuse my 5W green hotspot is totally stomped by the 3D w/2 cell bulb.. Though I am running cheap partially used alkalines.. I have not gotten a charger to charge up my NiMH AA's yet... 5W is a V2T w/.5ohm resistance.

#2, is there less or no donut hole because the die is directly in the center, and a 5w there is a space between the 4 dies?

yaesumofo: Nice pic's. In the pic's is there a donut hole but the camera doesn't pick it up?

It appears that the 3W has a pretty smooth round beam w/ stock reflector... am I right?

Thanks for the input guys.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
toxicated: green is brigthest glow powder, blue is pretty good, and aqua will be brigther than blue. I think the aqua isn't as bright at first like the green, but holds a brigther overall glow throughout the night if I remember right from what people have said.. If you want bright you can't go wrong with the green...

jtice

Flashaholic
Both make a nice round beam.

The 5W has no hole in a mag, just cuz the reflector is deeper and latger.

Green LEDs dont have that yellow phosphor (sp?) covering, so they are even harder to focus to a tight spot.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wildcat, It's a 5W Green. As in green light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif See my sig. It's a rather nice emitter, I just don't have the power it craves for it yet. I will post a thread about it when I get my dad's digital camera. I really did a super job modding it. It can't get any more perfect. I used a flat heatsink recessed and cut down reflector. I can over or under focus it just fine. It doesn't get hot at all by or around the emitter, allthough I haven't ran it for a long time on any good batts yet.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Justintoxicated, you don't want to go with the blue stuff. Although the neon blue glow does look cool, the after glow is pretty weak in comparison to the aqua powder. You might want to give the ready made glow paint from ReadySetGlow a try too.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, it sounds like Aqua is for me. I understand the Green is brighter but I think I want blue.

Where I am confused is on which of these 2 is better.

I see that readysetglow blue is made from Alkaline Silicate, where as GlowLady's blue is made from Strontium Aluminate...Sounds like GlowLadies is better for blue.

So then how would GlowLadys Blue compare to readsetglows Aqua is the REAL question...???

How far would 1 oz go? vs 1/4 oz?

I heard the powder is better than the paint when mixed with clear epoxy or clear fingernail polish??

Thanks guys,

Isaac there is not hole in the center of the beam on mine when Focused. The spot is fairly small unless your shining it far away, but there is enough usefull spill to see all around.

I have a picture of mine used 2 weeks ago when I was inside a mine in death valley. here is a link to give you some idea. In the mine it is Compleatly Pitch Dark, only light by my Mag.

it looked a bit brighter IRL
MineShot

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Well i purchased my blue glow powder from Elektrolumens (The Glow Lady) and my aqua from ReadySetGlo and the aqua powder is about twice as bright if not brighter then the blue powder. Oh and on a side note, i received a free 1 oz pack of glow powder from ReadySetGlo just for sending in a pic of my creations with their powder.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaMeatMan said:
Well i purchased my blue glow powder from Elektrolumens (The Glow Lady) and my aqua from ReadySetGlo and the aqua powder is about twice as bright if not brighter then the blue powder. Oh and on a side note, i received a free 1 oz pack of glow powder from ReadySetGlo just for sending in a pic of my creations with their powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool thanks man! I think Aqua it is...I'm mostly just using it for afect, or I would probably go with green.