Any Budget HID's under $500 worth considering?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Guys, I'm bored to death with LED's and traditional incan throwers, and am considering finally getting an HID for the first time, to round out my collection of throwers (K75, Leef 3X18650+ LF Head+SMO Reflector+IMR-M6). Of course, I've waited too long, and now stock is dried up, the lights are obsolete, the batteries and bulbs are scarce, no warranty or parts, I know, I know.

Are there any HID's left under $500 that fit the following criteria

(1.) replacement Batteries are actually available
(2.) Replacement Bulbs are actually available
(3.) Not being utter garbage, Ebay 200,000,000 lumen ultra zooming mega bright trash
(4.) Not the traditional, handle grip, Walmart/Basspro/Stanley type spot lights (ex. Stanley Fatmax). I don't like the style of feel of these types of lights

Truth be told, I'm really clueless on HID's, and from searching around, I'm not sure there's much left out there to choose from. And I understand my budget doesn't allow for much at all, and I can't expect much.

The closest thing I could find is the Streamlight HID lightbox, but it has some caveats.

Can any HID guys give any input? Much appreciated.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I realize that HID is now completely outclassed by LEP, and even mostly by plain LED at this point, but I still enjoy the few I have.

The Fire-Foxes, Macs Mini, and JiLlite EZNite HIDs were all (originally) roughly under that budget, though of course all now out-of-production too :(

It took me a while to find the last of those around here on the MarketPlace.

Good luck, they are fun little torches for sure :D

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'll guess I'll bump this with a couple photos too ...[emoji317]

AEbFmRa.jpg

v0etS74.jpg

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also looking for HID's recently and i found FireFoxes to be back in production again[emoji15][emoji15]

US $249.00 | New 65W Xenon flashlight HID FIRE-FOXES4 FF4 long-range high lighting hunting 6500lumen Mountaineering Exploration strong
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTKhNKQ

US $259.00 | New 40W HID FIRE-FOXES2 FF2Xenon Flashlight Long Range High Illumination Hunting 4000 Lumen Mountaineering Scan Strong
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUquc0e

Sent from Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
I was also looking for HID's recently and i found FireFoxes to be back in production again[emoji15][emoji15]

US $249.00 | New 65W Xenon flashlight HID FIRE-FOXES4 FF4 long-range high lighting hunting 6500lumen Mountaineering Exploration strong

US $259.00 | New 40W HID FIRE-FOXES2 FF2Xenon Flashlight Long Range High Illumination Hunting 4000 Lumen Mountaineering Scan Strong

Very interesting, thanks.

But we probably don't need the direct sales links posted ;)

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses and suggestions everyone.

Sledhead, I see it still listed on their site, but it is showing as out of stock and discontinued.

A[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]rchimedes[/FONT], as usual, very nice. I love the Mag.

ID30209, thank you so much for pointing them out. Can't believe I overlooked those. They look incredibly impressive. My only concern is I cannot find any website or warranty info. That concerns me. I will have to dig a bit deeper on that. But the light itself, I'm sold on.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Some of those are nice lights, but I probably should have specified that I'm chasing lumen and candela numbers on this purchase.

I wonder if there are any high end, premium searchlights (50W/65W,etc) worth keeping an eye out for on the used market at a discount? Seems those Polarion and European HID lights hold their value quite high on the marketplace, probably no chance of getting one of these at that budget price though.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
ID30209, thank you so much for pointing them out. Can't believe I overlooked those. They look incredibly impressive. My only concern is I cannot find any website or warranty info. That concerns me. I will have to dig a bit deeper on that. But the light itself, I'm sold on.

Yea, I don't understand. It shows 37 pieces of one and 40 pieces of the other available, but there is also no way that I can see to choose color temperature. I know the FF3 and FF4 were only available in 4300K. It lists 3000K/4300K/5500K, but no way to choose which one. And the battery options seem different for each one. Not sure what to think here.

The FF3 version they have on there seems to have a charging plug in on the back. I think I would prefer not to have that for weather durability, but that's just me. It would be great if we can get more spare battery carriers as well, especially for our old lights.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Yea, I don't understand. It shows 37 pieces of one and 40 pieces of the other available, but there is also no way that I can see to choose color temperature. I know the FF3 and FF4 were only available in 4300K. It lists 3000K/4300K/5500K, but no way to choose which one. And the battery options seem different for each one. Not sure what to think here.

The FF3 version they have on there seems to have a charging plug in on the back. I think I would prefer not to have that for weather durability, but that's just me. It would be great if we can get more spare battery carriers as well, especially for our old lights.

Ampdude, I believe the color temp depends on whether you are driving the HID bulb on low, med, or high. O[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]bviously, the harder you drive the bulb, the higher the color temp. So the light actually has all three color temps in one, if you look at it that way.

I would have bought one of these already, but I just cant find any info on any kind of warranty or support.

[/FONT]

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ampdude, I believe the color temp depends on whether you are driving the HID bulb on low, med, or high. O[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]bviously, the harder you drive the bulb, the higher the color temp. So the light actually has all three color temps in one, if you look at it that way.

I would have bought one of these already, but I just cant find any info on any kind of warranty or support.

[/FONT]

The Firefoxes were all the same color temperature, 4300K. I have one of the original FF3's and two or three FF4's.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Some of those are nice lights, but I probably should have specified that I'm chasing lumen and candela numbers on this purchase.

I wonder if there are any high end, premium searchlights (50W/65W,etc) worth keeping an eye out for on the used market at a discount? Seems those Polarion and European HID lights hold their value quite high on the marketplace, probably no chance of getting one of these at that budget price though.

Never say never...………….

20200625-193349.jpg

MPWTpX0

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Thank you for sharing that. As someone new to HID's, the mindset of "HID's are obsolete" vanished quite quickly once that lamp heated up. I am quite impressed.

I imagine the first thing I will try to do is source a new battery as some point, but the one in this light is good and quite strong. I understand the LX50 II battery will work.

Do you carry bulbs for this model? Is there anything brighter than the stock bulb that's available?